African landraces and heirloom thread

Thanks bro I been wondering:) and the offspring of the pea the expression of the F1 population sounds familiar :slight_smile: lol

1 Like

No worries, it confused me for a long time until I had one of those Eureka moments, basically if you look at most trait variations, the bulk of the difference is additive genetic variation, dominance and epistatic (interactions between alleles) are responsible for the least amount of phenotype differences.

So say you cross something with 15% thc with something 20%, the average among the population will cluster around 17.5%, but a small number will be below 15% and a small number will be above 20%. This is why numbers to select from are important, the bigger the population, the more outliers there will be to select from, these are your transgressive segregates.

5 Likes

Glad to find this thread! I first got interested in African landraces and heirlooms when I grew out a plant from seed I found in some dried cannabis flower from Transkei, South Africa. It was the first cannabis plant I ever grew from seed. Aroma was grapefruit with a sandalwood backbone and the effect was psychedelic and long lasting, with an energy and clarity of thought like no cannabis I had tried up until that point. I gave a few clones away to a friend but was not able to preserve the seeds or clones myself due to a changing living situation. Still one of my big regrets, but that failure led me down a long path of learning about agriculture and cannabis that got me here.

Thankfully, this year I am growing the Ethiopia (one male, one female) and Moroccan Beldia Kif (one female) from Ace Seeds. I am also selecting three existing pheno hunts from a hybrid line of SOA’s Mozambica, RSC’s Parvati, and Cherry Wine CBD, but not heirloom/landrace so I’ll leave it at that to not clutter the thread.

Both Ethiopian plants express dark green narrow leaflets, a carroty smell, and red stems. The female plant has more of green / carroty / woody smell and now that the male plant is flowering it has a sweet citrus / carroty / lilac / lily of the valley smell. I plan to use the Ethiopian male plant as a pollen donor for many of my crosses this year, including the Moroccan Beldia Kif and Ethiopia female. I will also post some pictures as they grow.

I know there has been extensive testing for CBDV / THCV (C3) in landrace cannabis but has anyone tested these more potent psychedelic African landraces / heirlooms for the phytocannabinoids THCP(C7) / THCH (C6) / THCB(C4)? The effect profiles may have some overlap.

9 Likes

@deeez99 and @lefthandseeds are actually working on something along those lines right now looks like you’re in the right place bud , welcome home :slight_smile:

10 Likes

According to the stuff I’ve read THCv is probably the most inheritable trait, so in theory it should be pretty straightforward to increase, though the difficulty is in selecting for it, @lefthandseeds I think lab tests for it.

6 Likes

Yes and @deeez99 does as well they are also looking for the connections between them , like for instance some people say that thcv is what makes the “trip weed” but not always, so there fore it leads us to believe that it is something else that just often occurs with thcv but not always, still more data is required… PS there are over 160 different cannabinoids and we can only test for a handful, just something to keep in mind :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Do you know if they have test for these? I’ve only just heard of thcp , the others are brand new to me any info would be great! Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, there are a few hemp/cannabis labs in the US that test for THCB / THCH / THCP but no home tests as of yet. All discovered very recently in cannabis. There are a few companies that commercially produce them as a result of the Farm Bill. I would say that all three of them produce a head/body space that could be described as psychedelic, though all very distinct, and I have felt some aspect of each in cannabis. Still a small piece of the 150+ cannabinoid puzzle, still unsolved.

Some research articles:

Isolation of a High-Affinity Cannabinoid for the Human CB1 Receptor from a Medicinal Cannabis sativa Variety: Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabutol, the Butyl Homologue of Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.jnatprod.9b00876

Identification of a new cannabidiol n-hexyl homolog in a medicinal cannabis variety with an antinociceptive activity in mice: cannabidihexol

Cannabinoids, Phenolics, Terpenes and Alkaloids of Cannabis

9 Likes

My understanding of THCv is that it is not psychoactive by itself, but it alters the effects of other Cannabinoids, it’s the racy, clear and presumably trippy effect that some people get from the equatorial varieties. I may be wrong about the psychoactive properties though.

It has anti hunger properties as well as having some pretty amazing effects on blood sugar levels for diabetes. Imho it’s one of the most promising Cannabinoids for medical uses.

9 Likes

Agreed, that and CBDV have incredible promise. Makes me wonder what potential CBCV and CBGV have. D9-THCV is psychoactive by itself even if it does modulate the euphoric / impairing effect of THC like CBD etc. Perceptual shifts are interesting - increased color contrast / visual acuity, hearing sensitivity. In my opinion, it contributes a significant part (but not all) of the clear, racy, energetic, electric feeling found in many equatorial / African landraces. Like all the THCs of different tail chain lengths in isolation, it feels somewhat empty without the entourage of other cannabinoids.

7 Likes

Yes , that is very interesting indeed! :slight_smile: See and I just smoked that resin male I found in that RKS population and it was stoney but also super clear and heavy in the body but not tiresome at all … I didn’t test it so I can’t say for sure but it’s what it made me think of , I’ve smoked CBD and this was different but I don’t know, interesting for sure, thanks bro I’m glad you made it, I hope you stick around

6 Likes

I know I have the magazine covering the story of Malawi Black. It’s a good read. Need to find it.

17 Likes

Great Issue. SKUNK had some real gems over the years.

3 Likes

Ace Seeds Ethiopian male this morning, growing in a five year old living soil blend, transplanted a few days ago. Under a 11:13 flowering light cycle with the pheno hunts so pollen can be used to pollinate auto-flowering varieties outdoors and collected and stored for later in the season, will switching back to vegetative light cycle in a month or so I can keep this one alive, happy, and healthy for years.

8 Likes

The info I received is that these came from a southern Sudan landrace/heirloom. Good and viable so far.

:grin::v::canada:

13 Likes

Hey guys check out @JohnnyPotseed ’s flash sale, he’s got a bunch of great Africans from @Guitarzan available three packs for $30! Just picked up a bunch of the SSSC Malawi-Afghani and some others, thanks duders! There was Angola, Malawi, and Swazi on the list

8 Likes

But where can we find it?

3 Likes

Thread name is Johnny Potseeds Hall of Genetics . List starts on post # 2625 .

7 Likes

I posted this in my grow thread but would be good to have it here as well.

This is my TLC test from Ethiopian highlands from Ace. The 3rd picture is after saturation. The leftmost 3 are all males and the rightmost is a female. There’s signs of THCV in all of them, but clearly some more than others. There’s also some CBG and CBC in there, but little to no CBD.

13 Likes

Excellent. Thanks for sharing that. Are there any particular terpenes that the male B(high in THCV) is exhibiting?

5 Likes