An easier method for reversing using straight silver nitrate

I just stumbled upon this thread and im intrigued. So inject the silver nitrate solution into the mid to upper maim stem and one is trying to get the injection into the middle/hollow part of the stem correct?

1 Like

That’s how I understood it too and I want to try. I got a bag of silver nitrate here.
If anyone wants to try too, I got enough to send some.
Just keep in mind I’m in OZ. If your customs are crazy like ours,expect them to open the letter. I’ll state what it is, they’ll test it and will send it to you after I guess. They do that with my fertiliser salts😂

4 Likes

Exactly. As I mentioned, it took me a few attempts to get it right. Also , I used STS because I had it mixed up and was curious…

4 Likes

I was doing some other research and came across this from ChatGPT:

Another study has introduced a novel method for stimulating male flower production on female hemp plants using a commercially available floriculture product known as Chrysal ALESCO®, which contains silver nitrate, similar to the active ingredient in STS but with improved shelf stability. This study compared the traditional STS method to Chrysal ALESCO® in terms of male flower induction and pollen quality. Both treatments were applied to female hemp plants, and no significant difference was found in the number of male flowers produced. Interestingly, pollen from Chrysal ALESCO®-treated plants showed a significantly higher viability rate compared to pollen from traditional STS-treated plants when assessed with fluorescein diacetate staining. This suggests that Chrysal ALESCO® not only matches the efficacy of STS in male flower production but may also enhance pollen quality, offering a viable alternative with the advantages of better shelf stability and ease of application​​.

Looks like that… :telescope: maybe 7 oz bottle is ~$136 :thinking:
Unsure on dosage rate too :thinking:

ah, here we go:

Each ethylene inhibitor treatment was prepared for a final 1.48 μM silver concentration using a modified protocol from [20]. The total solution volume was 4 L of STS prepared by mixing 0.5 g of silver nitrate and 2.5 g of silver thiosulfate into 1 L of water and thoroughly mixing by adding 3 L of water to make the final 4 L solution. Mixing is required, and the solution must be made freshly for each application to prevent precipitates from forming before treatment.

A total of 4 L of ALESCO® solution was prepared by mixing 17.65 mL of the product with water to a final volume of 4 L.

Treatments were applied using a 1.5-L backpack sprayer (Uline H-7986 Backpack Pressure Sprayer; Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA), and individual plants were sprayed until runoff, or approximately 400 mL per plant [20].

Spraying was conducted by utilizing a modified protocol of three 1.48 μM silver concentration spray applications with a 5-day interval between each application once flowers were initiated [20].

The first treatment of STS and ALESCO® was conducted on 3 December 2021, when flower initials had formed.

The remaining two applications occurred on 7 and 12 December 2021 [20].

Male flowers were counted after plants had reached floral maturity but before the dehiscing stage of flower development on 7 January 2022 (Figure 4). The effects of the two ethylene inhibitor treatments were compared by a 2-way ANOVA.

7 Likes

Quick update. Just one week after injection and I’m already seeing a lot of male pods. I wasn’t expecting things to move so quickly, but pleasantly surprised.

I think I can confidently call it a complete reversal. Now to see if they will produce pollen and, if so, will it be viable? :crossed_fingers:

It’s all pretty exciting :upside_down_face:

15 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I found it for $109. Still quite expensive. But at roughly 4.4ml per liter a 200ml bottle should make up a decent number of batches.

Looks like the bottle has a shelf life of 18 months, and once you mix it into water they say to use it within 3 days (so you’d want to only mix up what you planned to use, obviously)

I wonder if it’s safer to spray than STS? (not that STS is that unsafe or anything)

5 Likes

Nice!

I might have to give this a try. What dose of STS did you give?

Very interesting! I love these alternative ideas. May have to experiment with injecting the next home cross that I decide to cull.

Anyone have thoughts on whether injecting with Chrysal ALESCO® would be different?

1 Like

It seems to be pretty similar to the STS really :thinking:
Just reportedly higher pollen viability with spraying Alesco vs spraying STS. I’d imagine itd work even better with injection than STS does. I don’t see why it wouldn’t. I need to try the injection tek on the TK and SSDD sometime…

5 Likes

Hi TeddyNuggets,

I just followed @Ben63 's lead and used the same STS that I would normally use to spray. My mix is the same as the one he listed in his post, I think it’s a pretty “standard” dilution :man_shrugging:.

Same as Ben63 I used a 27G 1mL needle and injected the majority into the main stem. I also chose to make “small” injections of the STS to the nodes.

One off application at day 21 (autoflower) just as early pre-flowers were forming.

5 Likes

Good luck with that, I have had little success with trying to turn TK, not sure why, but I haven’t tried injecting it…

2 Likes

I think she really needs the cobalt hexachloride as the sts just isn’t good enough, but yeah. Haven’t tried injecting it myself either. Makes me wonder if the Alesco would work as it is much higher pollen viability compared to STS. I was able to get pollen from the TK spraying STS every other day, it just wasn’t viable.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s a good suggestion, I might try it out, the only difficulty I have had with cobalt is that the dose threshold between it working and killing the plant is minuscule, unlike sts you can’t really just spray the entire plant without killing it, so my next plan is to use a dose regulated spray bottle.

5 Likes

From the bit of research I was able to find on it, you’d spray something like 50micrograms worth of the cobalt hexachloride onto the main growth tip of the plant one time. It should kill the tip, and reverse the entire plant.

3 Likes

I have the cobalt already as its fairly cheap, just haven’t had a chance to try it yet.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s the ‘protocol’ I have used, but using an eye dropper on the end tip, which then dies as you say and the rest of the branch then throws pollen. I have a bit of reversing I have to do over the next while so I might try and come up with a step by step process using the cobalt and post it here.

6 Likes

My STS injected plant has been dumping copious amounts of pollen which has been used to pollinate 8 other autoflower plants fully. They are now forming what appear to be a lot of seeds. Additionally, now collecting pollen daily from the plant which looks like it wants to keep going…. Pollen is being dried to about 10% RH in a diy desiccant “chamber”, then into the freezer for future projects…

6 Likes

…and I have pollen! Opened the tent this morning to find the very first couple of pods have opened :partying_face: Not a great deal of pollen in these, but definitely saw some …enough hopefully.

11 Days after injection and Day 21 above ground …I have to say, I’m pretty impressed with that time frame.

Now onto stage 2 of the waiting game …is she/he shooting blanks?

8 Likes

I just realised my mistake above. The plant is 34 days above ground and was injected @ day 21 :upside_down_face:.

6 Likes

when you injected it with STS , did you start 12/12 or just at 21 days above ground with over 12 hours of light…

1 Like