Silver Thiosulfate - Making feminized seeds

Hey now! I’m brand spanking new when it comes to making feminized seeds. Had a few questions and thought this bunch might be the right crew to help out.

I’m using Silver Thiosulfate to reverse a GDP. I’m about 4-weeks into flowering and the first three weeks, every week, once a week I’ve applied the thiosulfate right after lights out.

Question 1: Metal and Silver Thiosulfate.
I don’t know if I’d screwed up because I’d heard somewhere that one should never use metal when working with STS. Unfortunately I used a one-handed pressure sprayer to apply and wasn’t thinking about the metal plunger and nozzle. Did I reduce the effectiveness of the chemical by using this tool which has some metal parts?

Updated Answer: No. it didn’t seem to matter at all. 3-applications with the same sprayer and she became a he.

Question 2: Silver Thiosulfate application vs. colloidal Silver
My directions said to apply once at start of flower. When I kept seeing pistils, I decided to do it once a week for the next 2-weeks. My friend who is using colloidal silver told me he applied every day for 3-weeks. How often should one have to apply STS? Colloidal Silver?

Updated Answer: 3-applications roughly 5-days apart resulted in massive bundles of male flowers. My buddy who sprayed daily with colloidal silver was impressed. He seemed to believe the STS did a better job. ?

Question 3: Male flowers - I don’t know a thing about them
So once the stamens appear, generally how long before they pop and spread their stuff? Should I expect weirdness where I get male flowers but no pollen? Are there situations where I have to help the male flowers open? Please elaborate.

Updated Answer: Maybe this does happen where the flowers won’t open. It didn’t happen to me. The nanners were full of baby dust and started opening w/in 5-days, peaking about 3-weeks after first appearance. If one has issues collecting pollen, I understand one can dry and crush the flowers and the resulting dust will be full of pollen. Again, I didn’t have to do that.

Question 4: Growing those beans to completion
Once pollinated, generally how long before a viable seed is produced? I’ve got a companion clone GDP that is the same age as our reversal subject, so expect the cycle for those two will play out naturally in tandem. But I also have two other plants I want to seed that are about 2-3 weeks ahead of my pollen doner. Am I going to be able to get viable seeds in 2-4 weeks, or will I need to keep these girls going a bit longer than normal? How does one know a seed is ripe w/o just letting the plant go into senescence and dropping them naturally?

Updated Answer: Hearing that I’ll need to wait 2-3 weeks longer than usual to allow the seeds to finish. 🤷

Question 5: I sprayed a pretty plant and now she’s ugly and toxic
What if anything can I do with the reversed plant? I can’t smoke it or use it for edibles now that I’ve reversed her with STS. Truth?

Updated Answer: Seems that way. The masculinized doner is done after he makes his deposit. Bound for the bin.

34 Likes

I use CS spray 240ppm seems to be the magic number for
Me I’ve tried lower doses it don’t work as good once a day for 14 days

5 Likes

This may answer some of your questions, Complete Guide To Using STS To Create Feminized Seeds | 420 Magazine ®

6 Likes

@anon98660487 thanks! Did you make your CS or buy?

@Tejas Rockin! Thanks for the bread crumb trail! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No I’m to lazy to make it use this brand it’s never let me down Amazon or eBay ,so it first thing just as you turn the lights on

I throw the plants in the trash after taking the pollen off the ladies,I know people that don’t but I’m funny like that,don’t want to be smoking any silver

8 Likes

Best resource right here:

14 Likes

Is sts not kinda toxic compared to CS spray

The safety instructions were pretty pointed about mask, gloves and eye protection. I’ve read you absolutely don’t want to breathe in any STS.

Whereas CS is a dietary supplement.

2 Likes

I have dogs and a wife reason I don’t use sts,I don’t want that shit in the house ,CS spray does the same job if you know how to use it,I’ve made thousands of female seeds using it
And I don’t have to wear gloves or mask to spray a plant

1 Like

Completely understand. I had to lock my dogs up and put the cat out while treating. Didn’t want those nosers nosen in toxic drippings. I used the STS because I’d understood it to be a bit more sure-fire than CS. I’m starting to second guess that after recognizing the draw backs of STS and the successes of others with CS.

1 Like

14 days once a day that’s why I use the 240ppm, I tried 80ppm one time noting happened and I have 2 tents in my bedroom
Half the time I forget to spray them an it still works lol
I’m making seeds at
The minute sprayed a Durban poison letting her self herself but I do take some of the pollen and put it on a Jorge’s diamonds/Durban poison,these will be photo females

2 Likes

I went and sprayed every 5 days for 3 diff sessions when making STS sebring’s recipe.

Spraying was done in an area my doggo doesn’t go (i mean like AT ALL, she’s scared of the basement) and on layer of newspaper that ended up in the bin afterwards. :+1:

1 Like

You bin the plants after spraying them with sts

2 Likes

I wanted to torch mine in my firepit to send them across the rainbow bridge for their service… but I don’t want silver in my soil :rofl:

3 Likes

Yep. Our pollen donor will be tossed. Sad to see her go, but a necessary and honorable sacrifice for the cause. She will be remembered…….

Follow Sebrings videos as @Pigeonman said and you will find that making feminized seeds is easier than you think :green_heart:

4 Likes

So I’ve had some success at producing sizable clusters of male flowers, but I’m not seeing any pollen, even from those that have opened. When I try to shake some pollen out onto parchment to take a look, nada….

Do I need to hit it again with the thiosulfate or just be patient, or something else?

Not trying to “save” anything from this group other than seeds, so have been just letting it go in a protected tent, I’ve dubbed “the love shack”.

2 Likes

I can vouch for elitexelite spray.

It seems pricey, but it’s a one spray and done thing, so it goes pretty far and has a 2 year or so shelf life (on a shelf, not in the fridge even!)

6 Likes

Has anyone gotten eXe to work on a photo yet? I’m assuming that’s an auto, @Yetigrows - I know a few others who also swear by it, and they also grow autos, but not a single one comes to mind who’s had success with it on a photo. Also not many who tried, actually one that I can think of. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m curious if it was a one-off, or if there’s actually something about it that works better for autos than photos, or possibly not at all on photos.

4 Likes