An easier method for reversing using straight silver nitrate

Wait a ding dong minute? Isn’t silver nitrate the little q-tips that the doctor uses to cauterize with???

3 Likes

I guess it is. That’s interesting af. :+1:

10 Likes

i have had some luck with just light stressing the plant …of course you have no control over where and how many balls the plant will make …but for people that really want a simple way to make fem beans it does work …i just put a young plant into flower for 3 weeks then back to veg for a week or two …then back into flower not sure why this works but it does :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Could I inject this into a side branch and achieve the same results?

5 Likes

Aka styptic pencil. They stop bleeding FAST

1 Like

Not exactly :smile:

3 Likes

Oops, I was close lol

6 Likes

Went to a walk-in clinic to get a very bad burn looked at…the gauze was dried into the scab that had formed…the Chinese doctor didn’t have time to fuck around I guess, so she just ripped the gauze off, scab and all. …and here comes the blood, after about 10 seconds of trying to stop the bleeding she grabbed her S.N. swabs…very cool to see it work, hurt a bit, but very neat. Apparently it reacts to moisture…wanted to get some of those swabs to fuxk with people who pass out at parties.

3 Likes

A quick update, I now have a second plant that has responded to this treatment, this time a 2 foot blueberry fem where I treated just a single branch. This one was grown in coco/perlite and the stem is real woody. I had planned to use this for a test but struggled to inject the silver solution into it and all I managed was some between the bark and the pith. Obviously it got enough to have some effect. It appears that with a dose of 200 micro grams, every female flower site becomes ‘male’ but the plant still retains is female structure, as in the male flowers appear where the calyx’s would normally be, and that they don’t stretch out as a normal male does.
Also at a dose of 200 micro grams, there are virtually no female bits on the plant I treated, meaning it won’t be making a lot of it’s own seeds, although the lower branches below the injection site are still forming… Some experimentation with dosage I think is obviously required for ‘self seeding’ a plant.

28 Likes

Big ups for the discovery here. This is great stuff.

7 Likes

You can foliar spray silver nitrate, too. It will just burn them some.

3 Likes

Well that would be the ethylene being released from the banana skins, though I have my doubts that this would be effective for seeds I don’t know for sure. However, another approach would be to use ethephon, again I don’t know if this is effective at seed level, however it most definitely will suppress male flowers in hermaphrodite plants when sprayed onto the plant and is used for this exact purpose with commercial cucumber production… I also suspect that if this were to be used on a male plant, it woudl ‘reverse’ the plant, so that female flowers would be ‘triggered’, and then any seeds produced would be male. This is simply the opposite of what we are doing with silver nitrate. Now WHY you might want male only plants I don’t know, but if you had a particularity good male you are using in a breeding programme, this would be one way to retain it’s genetics for later use without having to keep ‘father’ plant. I am only speculating here on this however, and have not tried it. This might be something for someone else to experiment on

Info on ethephon

You can indeed, the main issue is the strike rate is a bit hit and miss, in the studies I have read, straight silver nitrate has around a 50% success rate at best and as you say does burn the plant rather severely. I am always wary that this kind of stress might result in hermaphrodite expression.

5 Likes

Spraying silver nitrate is reliable.

2 Likes

“I am always wary that this kind of stress might result in hermaphrodite expression.”

Isn’t that the point?

3 Likes

No… A true hermaphrodites when self pollinated will produce more hermaphrodites… A hermaphrodite possesses both XY and XX chromosomes, whereas a female plant that is reversed (pollen included) only contains XX chromosomes i.e. female.

11 Likes

Hmmm. In that case you would have to have started with a hermaphrodite anyway.

2 Likes

Yep, though I am not entirely sure how expression of this trait is influence by stress. Some of them just throw a few bananas, some of them a single branch is male, some of them all of a sudden pop out a new male branch from the middle of an otherwise female bud, some of them only pop male flowers at the nodes and some of them are a good mix of male and female bits. I know only a limited amount about the genetics of hermaphrodite plants tbh… Actually not all seeds from a hermaphrodite will be hermaphrodite from memory I don’t thing… but a good percentage of them will be and for that reason in my garden they tend to get chopped real fast.

all I know is that I hate little fkrs and that what we are making with silver is not a a genetically a true hermaphrodite.

6 Likes

As I am new and have not had the experience of one pollinating my grow by surprise I am somewhat in awe of this super power.

If I was stuck on a deserted island with only one cannabis seed I would certainly pray it was a true herm.

5 Likes

lol… well it’s fair to say that one seed “being stuck on desert island” is probably the exact reason for genetic hermaphrodites. I would imagine in a wild population that a good number of the plants would have these tendencies.

5 Likes

Agreed. I suspect that hermaphrodites are the source of most natural IBL landraces.

4 Likes