An easier method for reversing using straight silver nitrate

If ever there isn’t a female and you need a last ditch effort to keep a line going Ethephon on a male plant to force female bits will lead to regular seeds.

Forget where I learned it, I want to say Chimera.

9 Likes

Hmm interesting… regulars you say?? I would have expected all males, sounds like something worth testing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey guys, some time ago I had already seen about reverting males to female looking for times to see if anyone does this in the old forum that was coming from my country when I asked laughed at me.
In practice I only find old things and no photo or video, but the place where I saw about it was in another forum sam skunkman had this doubt and the Quimera answered it is possible to see it here is also addressed the topic about male seeds as well as reverse them to know what female characteristics he could pass on to his crosses.:nerd:

9 Likes

Awesome dude, well spotted! After a bit a read it does seem work as above… Ethephon induces males to produce female flowers, with seeds being male… One idea ‘Chimera’ mentions that is a really awesome idea is that by inducing female bits on an otherwise male plant, you get to see, smell and test it for the traits you want to pass on, which can be otherwise a bit of a crap shoot.

A snip from one of chimera’s post…

“Ethephon @ 750 ppm sprayed once/week for three weeks. The effect was such as to produce pistills enough for making seeds, which was my only goal- to create male selfs and male:male seeds for use in breeding/research- ie towards the development of pure XY lines. The above mentionned regimen is sufficient to that end.”

8 Likes

I don’t think male-only seeds are possible. I’mma have to find some time and do some more research

4 Likes

XY males will produce gametes that will recombine when selfed as XX:XY:YY in a 1:2:1 ratio.

XX females only make X gametes.

I’m not sure what a YY plant would do, or if it is even viable. Did Chimera talk about that?

2 Likes

@Fuel can you take a look at this topic please…

4 Likes

Not really… the thread sort of tapers off before anyone gets near germinating them… What I can pick out from it is that YY is what they call a “super male” so that when crossed over a XX you get all males, though there is some talk about viability being low… and also… as they would only be a percentage of the seeds, you would need to have them lab tested to even know. For me it’s interesting, but sounds of limited use.

4 Likes

FWIW - I’ve actually had a male do this not too long ago! He starting producing male flowers as usual and then out of no where produced some female flowers from what I believe was the stress of not letting him convert out of the single blade shuffle, into at least 3 blade fans before I flowered him out. In any case that resulted in him pollinating a very small amount of random female flowers he produced and thus creating a very small amount of seeds. Now the strange part is, they were viable! I grew 4 of them out because I was fascinated. They were all males. They were similar to each other and looked to be basically s1’s of him. I actually still have 3 seeds from this male. I also grew out some of his progeny from several different pairings and I haven’t seen a single male flower on anything and the resulting plants are actually some pretty dank stuff. I haven’t gone any deeper then that, but that is fascinating enough to ponder. DJ Short said that these type of males were special in a sense that they could repair or replace the gene in a plant with herm tendencies. That may actually be true from what I can tell so far. I can’t even remember where I found that info, but if you search around for males pollinating themselves you will probably stumble on it like I did. Sounds like you might have already found that thread, so hopefully this helps.

10 Likes

I read somewhere that Hops is actually a cousin of our favourite ladies :grin:

8 Likes

Well the guy that sold me the sharps kit was a little awkward, 3 dollars for a 5 pack including swabs etc.

It may be a few days late but I will prick this Crystal Meth fem auto (the name is fitting to be using needles with eh) from @FredFlinstoner.

18 Likes

Now we wait. That was much more satisfying than spraying.

40 Likes

@Pedro_Bann looks like you got 27ga needle by the packaging i presume ? how was that as far as injection point and fluid transfer, as been contemplating 26ga through to 31ga

4 Likes

27g the packet says, I know nothing about needles etc.
It pushed into the young flesh so easily I could barely feel it.
It did pressurise a bit near the end of the pump in but I guess it wouldn’t have if it was done slower.
The half of a drop on the stem shows how much was pushed back out from the pressure.

12 Likes

gotcha yeah also know knowing about needles apart from big gauge ones ive used in the past for pftek mushrooms

6 Likes

When I see brown calyxs (like that) I cut them out thinking they are the beginning of rot. Is yours normal?

4 Likes

Mine? Completely normal. It’s got some purple/Black going on.

6 Likes

Well if nothing else it’s amusing to have spawned a whole bunch of junky weed plants, better hope the media don’ty get hold of the idea or fk knows what the headlines might be:
FDA Warns of New Killer Strain Of IV Canabis :joy: :joy:

I also have a couple of NYD/OGK’s that I am testing, and can say that t’s definetly easier to inject into hollow plants, be interesting to see if it has any difference on them turning.

If you don’t get the silver application going until after the pistils have started then the branch where you apply it will kinda of ‘freeze’ it’s flower development… they sort of look like buds you have left on the plant too long… The whole proccess can end up with some pretty deformed plants sometimes :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Do you think you were in the center or the outer layer? Mine I was pretty sure it went in the center - very easy injection, no back pressure.

3 Likes

It felt like it was in the hollow at first but then pressurised at the end. Maybe just pressurised the small hollow on the small plant… it really did seem like overkill for the size of the plant I injected.

8 Likes