An easier method for reversing using straight silver nitrate

I’m all for to ask more documented experiments and strains reports on OG. But everybody here is not paid to post, it’s formerly for the sake of the community. It’s a bit musky to exige comparable level of dedication and budget.

2 Likes

Yeah man, totally. I was trying to be a bit dead pan tongue in cheek lol. In a previous life working in 360 displays and simulation systems , I recall an academic telling me once that it wasn’t about the results but the process. As someone who was working with a tech company at the time I just couldn’t wrap my head around It. The number of times there would be some research PhD where they would make something from base components that was
already out there as fully assembled and developed product, or worse develope a full blown sub par software application with some esoteric development platform that was already in existence and long used in industry in a much better form.
Having to provide industry ‘technical support’ to protects like that was just bizarre.

When academia discovered the concept of COTS is was like some kind of titanic earthquake; and agile development just completely blew their minds, both years later than that stuff just being meh standard practice in industry. Entire PhD thesis were written on how to use kanban and the concept of ‘continuous improvement’. 30
years after the Japanese had been using it as standard practice at Toyota lol.

This was the reason I never bothered to go back and do any subsequent post grad stuff, working on technical hardware and software integration with academics like wading through treacle, like stepping back in time and trying to move forward with your head on backwards lol.

1 Like

100% agree. I’m also not doing the extra work, because I don’t need the citations :rofl:

One thing that might help is to have OG members post their plans for experiments before they start, and get some feedback before jumping in.

I did that for my “Frosty Leaves” project: Breeding for Frosty vegetative leaves

I will start in a few months, but I’m collecting suggestions for the time being; maybe someone already has do this, or has a great tip for me, or just a great experimental design (maybe mutagenesis techniques).

2 Likes

Yep, and academic code is notoriously ‘dirty’ and fragile. But at the same time, most breakthroughs come from the freedom-from-profit motivation. The use of ‘citations’ as an alternative currency drives innovation in ideas and methods in a way money doesn’t.

Heck, most academics I know (and I was one for sometime) are totally disinterested in money… Why? You’re being paid you do your passion hobby! And you get given money to buy equipment and material that no mortals could afford to spend on their hobby. Who needs a fancy car or house when you have that!

5 Likes

Yeah. Personally I found there was a few sweet spots, if you could get defence funding for bleeding edge technology development then sometimes that afforded you a level of freedom and flexibility that you can’t get in academia or in straight commercial development. And the risk tolerance can also be higher. Of course defense projects mostly come with their own levels of absurd stuff, but if you can get involved in rapid concept prototyping projects then there is more flexibility and fucktons less turgid documentation to wade through. Sometimes all they want is a proof of concept, and proof against it being viable was also a result.

Aerospace can also have projects like this, and I’ve also been involved in similar things for big mining companies. A lot of companies like that, especially mining companies are constantly trying to screw more out of both people and the planet, but they also put a lot of people in danger as part of their job, so there is a fair bit of greenfield dev that goes on with things like training systems, automated and remote operations; integrated maintenance and sensor feedback etc.

I agree that the profit driven approach misses a whole lot of the innovation that can only come from pure research, but then I have also worked in a large recently privatized but once government run research company where there was 500 ‘capabilities’ but not a single product! Im sure there is a balance there somewhere lol.

Or an “auto” locked chemically but it become improper to smoke after ^^

This other paper showed no effect with GA3, but decent results with 30 ppm colloidal silver every day. Interestingly, when it was only applied once, it didn’t work at all. Not as good as STS, but it doesn’t decompose.

Pretreatment → Average number of male flowers per plant ± SE
0.3 mM STS, 12/12 → 482 ± 66
30 ppm colloidal silver once, 12/12 → 0
30 ppm colloidal silver every day, 12/12 → 379 ± 190

3 Likes

I normally use 50ppm CS;
and really only rarely these days if I want to make the reversal on a single branch; as CS seems to be slightly better at this than STS. Or sometimes if STS doesn’t work, I will try CS.
I assume the difference is that CS is not as potent an inhibitor of ethylene as STS,
so more treatment is needed, same reason that less calyx’s are converted to flowers probably as well?

50ppm is probably at the upper limit before it starts seriously knocking the plant around and you have to do it daily or at least every 3 days for it to be reliable.

STS will often result in a more complete reversal, so I will frequently get plants that are 100% male flowers, with no calyx’s left to self pollinate, so I will usually clone a couple of plants and then one becomes the pollen donor and the other the seed plant. CS seems to mostly produce more seeds if you just have a single plant.
Injecting silver or sts into a branch seems to work pretty well for selectively turning as well.

I have found CS degrades reasonably quickly if it’s not kept in the fridge, or at least in the dark, but only slowly if you do.
You cannot rely on the label of a lot of drug store CS being accurate because you don’t know how long it has sat on the shelf, if it has a grey colour, then it’s pretty much fkd.

For STS, I have 2 black plastic chemical bottles that I pre mix the thiosulphate and silver nitrate stock into and then store them separately in the fridge and then make it up fresh as I need it. It will basically keep more or less indefinitely like this.

You can minimize the impact on the plant by applying in the evening or when it’s lights out, silver is photosensitive and can burn the plant otherwise.

6 Likes

I confirm this as fck. For me it’s like the difference between a low release nutes using the soil as excipient and chelated as fuck soups that don’t need any organic activity. I mean in the uptake/tempo.

On the personal comfort zone it’s 100% STS with a regulation made with the formulas. Just a practical preference, i don’t defend any of the two strategies particularly.

I will read the paper for my dinner (thx btw), but I find it crazy. It’s more 2mM-10mM here (both) ^^

2 Likes

For treatment 7, plants were cut down to the height of the first two nodes.

I don’t really understand why they removed auxin’s engine on this batch, while aiming comparative results.

For the doses i understand now, they probed the minimal point of saturation. First set was 0.7 / 20 then to introduce CS , they switched to 0.3. I guess it was to be balanced in the comparison; in term of molecular differences between the two solutions. 30ppm CS Vs 0.3mM STS

It shows that crossing plants selected based on their chemotype profile improves the genetic constitution of the breeding population and consequently enables the development of new varieties with improved cannabinoid profiles.

:rofl: i just don’t resisted, i know they are in the obligation to write this lol

first report about the induction of male flowers on female plants of cannabis with colloidal silver

Necessary and legit main goal IMHO, to get rid of sterile debates as well.

Nice read anyway, but the Medelin one is far more my type of poison i must confess.

1 Like

Awesome thanks for doing this, what it is all about :heart:

1 Like

Did you come up with this method?

Gba can reverse a plant too? What cant?

Does it just severely stress the plant? Or is it a hormone blocker as well

2 Likes

Ga3 is a hormone naturally found in plants, in selfing it suppresses the formation of female flowers as a result of which the plant starts to produce male flowers :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@slain I tried this silver nitrate direct injection method as we discussed. Wondering if you or anyone else has seen this, it’s been 3-4 days since injection. I’m not as concerned as I am curious if it’s typical or if I should be preparing to inject more stems.

I didn’t have a 27 gauge needle I have a 12 gauge so a little beefy but the stems/branches didn’t obliterate and they’re still mostly standing upwards.

I am seeing the same yellowing on one node directly above one injection site (2nd photo) on one plant that’s a little concerning but I’ll see what happens.
Edit to add I’m a caveman with primitive tools and could very well have over or under dosed the silver nitrate

7 Likes

It will take a week or more before you will see results generally, some plants are definitely faster than others to show, some will take weeks before they will reverse. It’s not been all that uncommon for ones I’ve grown to appear fully female before they completely reverse. I would give it a little longer before you give it more as it’s possible to overdo it and kill the plant. Typically if there are female calyx’s present they will brown off and then new growth will be a mix of calyx’s and male flowers, the amount of both is also a bit plant dependent. It is kinda good to be able to be accurate with the amount of silver nitrate they get with this approach, so the yellowing might be a result of a bit too much. Yellow is ok, brown and withered is obviously a problem lol. It would seem to indicate that you have managed to get the silver to be transported to the growth tips where it’s needed.

Silver nitrate is a very reactive chemical and is only required as a hormone modulator in very small quantities.

This is in line with the idea that it is only transported to nodes ‘north’ of the site of injection. This should be the case if it has been injected into the stem.

Possibly, at least I think this was an original thought, lol. there nothing new under the sun though so I can’t say for certain. I think I arrived at it from reading about the direct infusion of sugars into the plant as a way to supercharge growth. I’m sure there is some micro infusion patches that would probably work better than a hypodermic, but that could just be cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer kinda thing.

9 Likes

Well I learned something new by giving me a method I feel is cleaner and safer for indoor/outdoor growing. I look forward to more ideas you have to share; this process is very user friendly and I like how the dots were connected.

Thank You :green_heart:

6 Likes

i have some auto fems i am growing right now to try this on.

i cant remember how much silver nitrate do you recommend injecting? @slain

1 Like

@mainerJ

Ten characters

8 Likes

So im gonna try spray my first go.

I know this isnt the thread for that but so many knowledgeable people in here so I might as well ask.

I found silver nitrate no problem.

Sodium thio. I see plainly labeled sodium thio, anhydrous, and pentahydrate.

Which is best?

And any recommendations on strong ratios?

2 Likes