An Ethical Question

Bodhi neither created Trainwreck nor '88 G13HP. A simple cross thereof really isn’t even “his” to begin with.

Even if it was, I wouldn’t think twice about it, but hey, do what feels right to you.

8 Likes

@vernal truth to that in the end :wink:

Dequilo

3 Likes

Doesn’t he work his lines and not just release f1 cross? The purple unicorn was used in breeding but wasn’t released by itself until f5

1 Like

Some of them, yes. Mostly though, no.

Bodhi has released hundreds of different packs. The majority are simple crosses.

4 Likes

and isn’t g 13 x hash plant ndnguy’s work?

1 Like

They are just “souvenirs” anyway

5 Likes

The issue isn’t working with a cross a breeder doesn’t want you to make money on. This is a mis-representation of the situation. The issue here is selling tester gear that has the breeders name all over it. The breeder may find out through their testing that this cross is not suitable for release for any number of reasons, yet some dipshit F2’ed them and is now trying to make money off them by releasing them on the market. Selling fucked up crosses that haven’t been approved for release by the breeder but has the breeders name all over it could be a huge hit to Bodhis reputation. WoodBooger is happy to use Bodhis name and reputation to make himself some money (obviously listing the name of the breeder on the label) without the least bit of consideration about how his own actions could impact someones reputation and their lively hood.

Here is Bodhi’s thoughts specifically about testers in case it isn’t clear:

“testers: please wait till they are released to breed with incase they are not up to par, we want to create novelty not entropy.”

I would worry less about the ethics of going against the breeders wishes in this case and more about the ethics of supporting a piece of shit person like WoodBooger in the first place by buying his seeds and using them in your own work. Someone was kind enough to send him free seeds and he took advantage of that. Nothing he did is in the spirit of what Bodhi has said about sharing his genetics. Karams a bitch and I certainly wouldn’t want that bad jojo following my crosses around.

In my mind its simple. You buy the beans and they are yours to do with what you please. Someone gifts them to you the least you can do is honor their wishes.

Obviously this is less directed towards you and more directed towards the dipshit who did the F2.

14 Likes

I would have less a problem with this if the label purely said Trainwreck x 88g13hp F2 and didn’t list the breeder. But instead the guy specifically uses Bodhis name on the label to make the packs more desirable when he is doing something specifically against Bodhi’s wishes. Thats some fuckery there.

11 Likes

@The_Lazy_Hippie I am with you the dipshit that did not do the right thing is the problem

be safe and stay free

dequilo

3 Likes

I think he’s just being transparent about where the line came from.

Anyone who knows Bodhi packaging sure as hell isn’t getting the two confused.

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone would mistake that packing for official Bodhi gear. Thats not the issue. The issue is the potential damage to the breeders rep by selling beans that the breeder hasn’t even fully tested or approved yet but whose name is on the label. Someone who bought those beans might have a bad experience and Im sure they wont say “aww man those F2’s by WoodBooger really sucked” nah they are going to say “Those Bodhi genetics were bunk”

Again not really faulting @dequilo as he isn’t the one who did this. But personally I have enough bad luck already and I wouldn’t go near those beans with a 10 foot pole. But to each their own.

4 Likes

It just says the original stock is by Bodhi. What could be a better advertisement for a line than someone taking the time to F2 them? IDK, I think you’re overthinking it and putting too much stock in “breeder rep”. It’s just flower seeds and I think ol Bodhi is doing fine financially. They didn’t come with a contract or a written or verbal agreement, and I wouldn’t care if they did.

F2 of stock is great to sift through. Do or don’t. Your choice.

4 Likes

If those were tester seeds sent to woodbooger or whatever his name is from bodhi then yes, they came with a verbal contract not to further them until testing is finished and they are released.

6 Likes

If gifted seeds for the purpose of testing then I agree that a person has no right to pass those genetics further. If you buy seed from a breeder they are yours to do whatever you want with them in my opinion.

2 Likes

Look at it from a different angle. If you “tested” something for someone, you just did a lot of work for them, for free. Now they have pictures to post of their seedlines, and they didn’t even have to grow any.

Breeders be like “yo I just made 50 different crosses help me sell them with good pics lol”. Do my work for me, but don’t do anything with those beans they’re like my intellectual property".

IDK, the whole “testing” thing is kinda dumb. I grow it because I want to, not because of pictures or some newbie managed to grow a female without it herming on him.

6 Likes

Rieger Begonias patented plant as a flower grower buy the plant and you own it

take cuttings and pay a royalty for each you take

don’t pay and get caught the Germans will find you

I do not know now but back in a day there was only one importer

buy from him or do not buy them

Thanks for all ours thoughts about my question

we truly have a great place here

Dequilo

2 Likes

“Ist these Rieger Begonias?! Zee plants belong to usssss”

“These are Krieger begonias…way different”

It is difficult to enforce a plant copyright. Especially when what you sell isn’t even appreciably that much different than anything else on the market. Everyone got real mad at the former Monsanto for trying. Especially across state lines, and practically impossible between national borders.

4 Likes

Yea, i hear ya. But, Im a man of my word. So, if i accepted tester seeds from a breeder under the agreement that i will kill the males off and not further the line thats what im gonna do or im not gonna accept the seeds. Thats the point. There is no other angle to look at it from. My word is my bond. Simple as that.

10 Likes

Personal Ethics :slight_smile:

my grandmother always told me it is hard to do right in a room full of wrong

so we try

2 Likes

You’re talking about very specific person to person testing agreements. If people wanna agree to restrictions, fine. I never have. Then again, I don’t frequently “test” things. All I’ve ever said is I’ll grow it soon. If I have to specifically agree to certain restrictions, I don’t want it. I’m not out here taking shit under agreement and doing “not allowed” stuff with it. But someone will. IDK, I’m an outlaw I don’t ask permission to make flower seeds.

This is just a pack of F2 someone made from Bodhi stock. I don’t recall dequilo being a part of any agreement between Bodhi and “woodbooger”.

Maybe, though, breeders should stop relying on “testers” for pictures so they can sell their wares. Drop the price, narrow the breeding scope, or quit complaining about flaky testers or that someone repro’d their line. Sour grapes & ego & money are really getting in the way of people enjoying seeds.

15 Likes