An Ethical Question

Good Day Seed Breeders as stated I have an ethical question for you all

here goes I have some beans that were made into F2s that were not suppose to

I will grow them out as seedless so as not to go against the Breeders wishes

but here is the question if I found a female I liked a lot

could I use STS and do a sister to sister cross for my own use without being a dirt bag?

no breeding just beans for me

thank you for your thoughts and a great New year

Dequilo

19 Likes

Its only unethical to profit off of someone elses line work. No profit, No issues. Thats my opinion.

33 Likes

@Grohio that is how I think also but the beans came from one who took coin :frowning:

so I hope no bad Karma

peace and be safe

Dequilo

9 Likes

Once they’re in your possession they’re yours to do what you wish with
Free the weed
Peace

19 Likes

I would say if its for headstash and not putting it out there i dont see an issue myself

10 Likes

@Papalag and that is also true for you and your use :slight_smile:

just want to feel right about someone else work and wishes

be safe and grow well

Dequilo

5 Likes

Unless they are testers then it’s up to the stipulation of the test. But yes, generally you would only make f2 for personal use and to gift/trade with the understanding that they are f2.

7 Likes

I could always grow them out and find a female and clone it until the day I die :slight_smile:

no harm no foul :wink: as they say

Dequilo

7 Likes

@Seamonkey84 at that point if I made beans with STS I could call it whatever #33 and be good

but I would not want to do someones work wrong

be free and enjoy the new year

Dequilo

4 Likes

If your making them for yourself, I’d say go for it. But I’ve asked that myself and got somewhat the same answers, along with just ask the breeder if they’re tests. I’m pulling all males from my testers, except one. It’s suppose to be fem seeds but I have a male, unless I really screwed up my labels. I’m kinda ocd so i doubt that…

4 Likes

I find that Bodhi’s words on the matter is a good way to understand what is considered being respectful and considerate to a breeder. Read his op, here:

Keeping the offspring to yourself is not creating an issue at all. But, unless protected by law (unlikely) or other agreement, in the end analysis you paid for the seeds and they are yours to do as you please.

14 Likes

@Northern_Loki Thank You that is what I was looking for :slight_smile: and that is who’s work I have

IMG_2219

someone made F2s out of testers and sold them

I was going to weed thru them and move them forward with a cross I thought would be good

but was told the Breeder said not F2s :frowning:

I will read your post and thank you

Dequilo

4 Likes

I assume good breeders know what they’re doing and if they release regular seeds they’re yours to do with as you please if they don’t want it used to make seed they can always sell feminized seeds.
My .02 :heavy_dollar_sign:worth
:dash::dash::v::sunglasses:
Ps unless they were gifted to you with expectations but if you paid for them well…

1 Like

Yeah in this case, the cat is out of the bag. I still wouldn’t feel right selling any F3’s or fem’s you made of it, but I don’t see an issue breeding for yourself and/or giving away, crossing to other things, whatever.

The dude that made them is at fault and what you have/will have won’t represent the F1’s Bodhi would/could sell anyways.

6 Likes

Hey amigo ejem|nullxnull , you could send me one of those and that way I would share the consequences with you :sweat:, that’s what friends are made for … angelito|nullxnull

P.D. : You were not the first to fool the breeder, so don’t think you’re guilty of nothing, as you already know, the best place to store them is a pot of soil … beer3|nullxnull

7 Likes

@George safe address and I have a vial for you of what I bought

than we both can share the guilt :wink:

be safe and a great New year

Dequilo

6 Likes

Bruh do whatever you want. “Breeder ethics” are foolish, it’s just flowers. Them beans come with a contract lol?

I didn’t get into growing herb because I liked rules about plants.

11 Likes

Don’t want to be an abuser, thanks beer3|nullxnull, I know you are a good man, I will enjoy seeing them grow in your outindoor thread … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@vernal “Breeder ethics” are foolish, it’s just flowers.

I agree with you :slight_smile: for me my personal ethics are important

be safe and stay free

Dequilo

6 Likes

I can buy about 5 or 6 of the F1s

so sad