An Ethical Question

Yes straight the fuck up… One of those ima be so blunt you can smoke my truth moments :rofl:

3 Likes

If you’re just making seeds for yourself, regardless of whether you paid for them or they were given as testers I see zero issue doing it.
As for what the tester did well that’s just shady. It’s one thing to take tester seeds, make F2s and give them away. But it’s a whole other level to sell them and even put the original breeders name down on them to get the sales. If they were charging 10-20 for their time and shipping that’s why me thing but when they want legit pack money that’s just a scam.

On the other hand it’s not like it was a strain Bodhi fully bred. He took an already bred 88G13HP and an already bred Trainwreck and simply crossed them and is selling them. Granted he may have made special selections from both lines but it’s not like he worked both from landraces to make the cross.

7 Likes

There are very specific rules for testing Bodhi gear . Well really just one rule lol Do not use testers to make seeds and sell them before the cross is fully tested and released.
Anyone who signs up for testing for Bodhi is made aware of what is expected.
Sour grapes , ego , and money are three thing Bodhi is not about.

I don’t believe anyone owns genetics and if they feel they do then they shouldn’t put them out into the world. But this specific situation is different from that .
An " outlaw " is a man of their word. And when they signed up to be a tester they gave their word to adhere to what was asked of them .
Its a respect thing and obviously someone decided Bodhi and themselves were not worthy of respect.

5 Likes

That’s not accurate. Bodhi has specifically said don’t make stuff he’s currently still selling. Seems like he’s fine with making “rules” and hoping people abide by them. Not just a “beat them to market” situation.

If you take a male (SL, 88G13HP, Appalachia) and cross it to over 100 different mothers EACH…I simply don’t see you owning shit. You did a massive scale pollination and now want people to do work for you. I didn’t agree to anything with Bodhi; we don’t know one another.

Testing system is dumb; Bodhi has made a shit ton of cash, we don’t even know if this “woodbooger” fellow was doing “testing” for Bodhi. We don’t know if “woodbooger” is specifically selling them. Y’all are building a strawman to knock down.

5 Likes

Anyone who signs up for his testers does agree to things. That was the point I was making. As for everything else you are ranting about. I wish you the best in life .

2 Likes

Whatever someone agreed to with Bodhi is their business, not mine. I’m just trying to grow plants over here, and I definitely don’t lose sleep over an F2 pack for “bReEdEr eThIcs”. I’m growing an F2 of Bodhi gear as we speak. And an F2 of Dynasty gear. Of all the things I think about in a day, how some stranger on the internet “feels about it” is probably the absolute last thing on my list.

4 Likes

that is who I sent my money to

I did not even see Bodhi name on the listing just looked at the cross

I asked some question after I received the beans I wanted to see grow report,

photos, etc.

I could not find a single test grow and than was offer 6 of the tester F1s for 5 dollars

a seed

that is when I started looking and asking people about this as I wanted to know the deal

will I grow them yes indeed I will as I paid money for them

will I make beans for myself and to share freely I will indeed

will I do a STS reversal to a choice female to make feminized beans again for me indeed

and share freely

and I will save pollen from a choice male

I got around thirty seeds for 25 dollars so he was not making a killing

but my problem in the end is not just saying his F2s why even bring Bodhi into

the mix

thank you for all your thoughts and viewpoints on this matter

and thank you one and all for keeping it civil as shit like this can go

off the rails in a heart beat

all the best and have a great day

Dequilo

5 Likes

My two cents.

If it’s because you need the money to support your family, fuck ethics because children do not eat honor.

If you just want to be out there in the scene, and make money with the seeds, that ok with me, I do not care what a man does for a living, if your not stealing or breaking into people houses, that’s all that matters.

To me, there’s no copyright as to what can be done and being that In-House Genetics stole a name and cross from me because I’m illegal down here and cannot register my stuff, it is hard to keep ethics where they should be when everyone out there it’s out for themselves.

Mad

10 Likes

@MadScientist that is why I posted this

I do agree with you on your points :slight_smile:

thanks and be safe

Dequilo

3 Likes

Have you considered reaching out to Bodhi personally?

If you have discovered something exceptional or even just really interesting, perhaps he would appreciate being kept in the loop about your finding, and in so doing you could resolve the ethical dissonance to everyone’s satisfaction, and this could open the door for a productive result rather than a fraught one.

Ethics are a bitch, they live in the grey; morals are far simpler, but someone usually loses their head…often literally. There seems to be a lot of muddling of these concepts in situations such as this.

2 Likes

@Vesti I have indeed thought of doing just that reaching out to Bodhi

with whatever I come up with from his cross just to do as they say the right thing :slight_smile:

morals are far simpler indeed :slight_smile: as we all know right from wrong

all the best and a healthy happy new year

Dequilo

1 Like

Once you feminize a plant is unlikely that it will be exactly the same as the mother was, saying this, do whatever you please with them, even if you share them with out profit , it will be your selection coming out another previous selection, that is actually an f2 for what I’ve understand, so you might have just one of thousands representations of that cross , that might not match whatever the first generation plants were.

2 Likes

indeed they will not as they are F2s I bought, I will make a hard selection to go to F3

and start to set type

sister x sister will not be the same but close to my selection

and just save a cut from F2s

all the best

Dequilo

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be better though to be transparent about where the seeds actually came from (Bodhi) than to try to pass the F1 work off as his own?

3 Likes

@vernal if he would have put F2ed by him on it we would not even be talking about this

but he had to put Bodhi on there like a seal of approval and that is why I even ask the question

I still will grow and work with the cross

as you said Trainwreck is someone else and ndguy did the hash plant

back on planet ganja I posted a lot with him NdNguy being that I am Cree we have something in

common

Thanks again for your input in this lots of great points

all the best and be safe

Dequilo

2 Likes

Absolutely. In breeding goes only so far. You have every right to cross whatever you want. Especially f1 and f2 crosses. It gives more of a selection to choose from.
All these legit high bred seeds selling for 20 to 40 a seed cost that much because breeders spend more time with there plants to make them more stable and just better overall.
It’s a matter of experience in my opinion

1 Like

@corey “All these legit high bred seeds selling for 20 to 40 a seed cost that much because breeders spend more time with there plants to make them more stable and just better overall.”

Oh how we wish :slight_smile: that is the idea if you make 100s of crosses of the same one male

to elite female clones you bought from someone

I am not sure how that breeder is doing the hard work of plant selection and growing out

their work

I know breeder of world champion orchids that are ROM winner

that took a life time to breed there work

I do believe there are breeder that put in the work and should get paid for it

those tend to be the most humble most generous of all

all the best

Dequilo

4 Likes

Your absolutely right. Just because you spend years making a strain doesn’t…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Think that’s one of the best things I’ve heard, but no. Just no. Pretty much all these 10+ dollar seeds from breeders… or “breeders” really, are just getting all that hype money and that’s it. They have one or two big-name parents so they know they can charge a ton and people will pay it and that’s that. There’s no work involved other than watering and maintenance.

Plus a flip side to this. I just did my first seedrun, I pulled 1k seeds each off 3x 2ft plants. If I could sell those seeds at 10/$250, that’s a $25,000 plant. Do you honestly think any plant is worth $25k for ~4 months of watering, because I sure as hell don’t. Even 5k per plant seems outrageous to me, and price gouging. I gave all my seeds away to people here, for free.

Now someone like Tony, sure, for all the work he put into that RIL line HE could charge $200+ and justify that with legit work and a fantastic product, You know what you’re buying when you buy that RIL line… But all these $200+ polyhybrid pollen chucks with zero line work being done and a billion pheno’s in the seeds? I don’t think they deserve more than $1/seed for that “quality” and “work” they did, and F1 chucks should be cheaper than any worked line, period IMO.

Sadly, unless I’m mistaken, this isn’t the case at all, it’s reversed. Unless you know of some worked lines that are expensive? All I see from all these high dollar packs, are F1 chucks of “elite clones”. A monkey could do that…

7 Likes

I have to agree…