An Unexpected Earthbox Journey

I did not do the earthboxes much justice overgrowing the tent like I did, but they are pretty awesome all the same.

I would advise firing one up for sure, no regrets here besides my self inflicted issues. :+1:

2 Likes

Local shop has the earthbox for $37 without wheels. I know some of y’all spent $30 on the Seed Sprouting Cups. We’ve all spent more money on worse shit. It’s well worth the money imo

4 Likes

100%. I would love to run more of them if I could, but they have to be jammed in this damn tent for a while lol.

I may have went all the way and swapped the Earthbox Jr. for another Earthbox Original in there… :crazy_face:… Going to flip them much sooner than last time though lol. Honestly I am about to flip the tent to flower tomorrow, I am just behind on getting this tribute video done for the first round so I can throw a few updates in here heh.

This tent with the earthboxes and my 2x4 tent/bed from my other diary are going to be project tents instead of production tents for quite a while. Lots of crosses/chucks will be going on. More on all that in the future though heh.

5 Likes

Perfect opportunity for my favorite gif…
giphy

6 Likes

At some point in the future I might be putting that Earthbox Jr. in my veg tent with 3-4 autos in it. I enjoyed accidently popping an auto and then potting it into the 3D printed mini sips I have been making.

Screw it, here is a little overview of what has happened with the accidental Earth Lover auto I popped. Once I realized it was showing flower when it was in a TINY pot, I figured it was a good time to experiment with the Mini EB/SIP’s more. 4x4x5 is the size of the Mini EB.

I potted the plant into the mini EB and gave it a tiny topdressing of craft blend and a dusting of kashi blend then put the lid on. That is all the attention the plant has got besides water of course.

Even though this was a complete accident I tried to salvage, it has been pretty fun watching this club grow lol. Makes me want to throw a few autos in the mix here and there for the hell of it.

I really wish I could just grow one on my desk, she is fun to look at. Smells like what I know as a Trainwreck type smell. Similar to this Sour Lifter CBD Hemp sample I have in my desk.

I will keep it going a little longer so it can thicken up a bit more as it finishes eating a few more leaves.

13 Likes

Well, if mine would do that too, I would like that.

Earth Lover it’s called, huh… very interesting.

3 Likes

I guess it was a CBD auto on Sebring’s site at some point, @DougDawson had sent me a few a while back and I guess I did not realize they were autos lol!

It was a pleasant accident that will prompt me to keep experimenting a bit.

4 Likes

Forgot to add that the auto was getting 175-250 PAR most of its life, but its been getting 500-580 for a bit now (cant remember when the light was turned up).

2 Likes

damn @bassman5420, you’re getting some hulk monsters out of your earthboxes! fricken impressive growing. can i ask, it seems like you’re mainly adding craft blend and kashi blend as your top dresses/amendments, along with the occasional sst. is there anything else you recommend? ewc, freeze dried coconut water, agsil and build a bloom as well, i read in one of your posts.

it seems like with such vigorous growth, you could definitely throw things into flower sooner and still get great yield.

i’m also wondering, what are your thoughts on throwing three or more plants into a single earthbox? do you think it would be overcrowded? originally i was going to put three earthboxes (two jrs and one original) into my 3’x3’ tent, but now having seen how crazy your two eb’s got in your tent, i am reconsidering. although i don’t think i’m experienced enough yet to grow plants as vigorous as yours. so i’m wondering about maybe putting more plants into fewer eb’s.

4 Likes

Morning @highminwin,
I top dress threeish times during a cycle. Once when setting up, once at planting and once more at flip. I topdress Barley, crustacean, insect frass, ewc, compost and Kashi. I hit them twice a week with one sst and FulPower and one aloe, coconut, and AgSil.

In virgin soil, I’ll flip as soon as the plants shows signs of new growth, because once the roots hit the reservoir they take off.

Two OG EBs seems to be the max for a 3x3. I have always run 1 plant in each as two plants will fill a 3x3 easy.

4 Likes

I’ve run 2 plants in mine 3 different times. You better be damn sure that the plants are roughly the same as far as growth/stretch because if one gets a foothold and outgrows the other, it’s really noticeable. The smaller plant will get swallowed up.

5 Likes

Howdy bud! Ya things get growing pretty good in these these that’s for sure. 100% should have flowered much sooner, I lost quite a bit of yield overgrowing the tent like I did lol. I knew it was probably a bad idea, but hey ya got to try shit out sometimes heh.

Depending on the size plants being put into the boxes, this is a good rule of thumb to go by as @CrunchBerries stated above, because once they start to recover and get comfortable, they wont want to slow down much till the end lol.

If the plants are small enough, you should be able to get away with 2 EB’s with 2 plants in each. I have not posted yet but I currently have 4 plants 2 in each EB original in this 32x32 (modded to around 36x36 at canopy with spreaders installed), Flipping them today. I should be posting some updates here in a little bit.

3 Likes

Agreed, they will just eat the small plants if they get a change lol.

2 Likes

thanks for sharing your eb growing thoughts and experiences everyone! it’s definitely giving me a lot to consider and i will likely hold off on up-potting my plants into the eb’s in the near future, as it sounds like it’ll become a bear with my small space.

i may still do some wild and ill-advised things, but at least i know better now.

2 Likes

I have 8 plants going again in my 11 L setup.
Previously they died back to 5-6 plants. (Actually I culled a few but new ones kept sprouting.)
Not an earthbox, but it would probably work even better in an earthbox.
I’ve tried two and three as well, and there was also a dominant one every time that swallowed up the others if you mix genetics.
However, in larger numbers they seem to cooperate better!

I’m highly in favor of experimental shenanigans!
You always learn something.
Knowing what doesn’t work is very valuable information too. :+1:

3 Likes

Unexpected Earthbox Journey round 1 tribute video
Lets get this show moving along! More plants to flower and crosses to create!

3 Likes

Update on the little Earthbox tent

The Earthbox and Earthbox Jr. were dumped together and reamended with some craft blend and then evenly distributed between 2 Earthbox Original’s and topped off with a little BAS take and bake I still have saved in a bag.

I had a few little upset rootbound plants I had taken clones from and then neglected, so it was time to bring them back to life and moving along. 3 are fem seeds a friend gave to me and 1 other fem that had randomly been popped with then a while ago. Royal Gorilla (front left) Sunset (back left) Alien Rock Candy (front right) and Critical Orange Punch (back right)

A few days after transplant I topped them with Craft Blend and Kashi blend as the only top dressing I am going to give them this run.

Planted in the EB’s and lightly watered in. 1-2 other drinks from the top and eventually filled the reservoir 1 time with 1.5 gallons of water each. That is all that has happened since I put them in their homes.

Here are a few pictures.

Day 1 in the Earthboxes

Day 9 in the Earthboxes
I had cut a few pieces of cardboard to cover the opening around the plants, hoping to aid the life under the cover and clock 1 pack for gnats to get in and out.

Day 12 in the Earthboxes

Tomorrow will be day 17 in the Earthbox and will be flipping to flower.

Still no water in the reservoir. They are going to need it in the next day or 2, but guess who came to the party… A few more gnats than I would prefer. Not sure if they are coming out of the overflow hole on the bottom but they are mostly low in the tent.

Pretty annoying because these have barely had any water, the damn soil is cursed I tell ya! lol… May end up tossing some mosquito bits down the tube the whenever I get the courage to add some more water into the mix, but seeing the gnats rallying together in this tent is giving me an itchy trigger finger heh.

8 Likes

Forgot to mention that observing the environment in this tent last time, I was confident that once the plants came back into health and started growing I would have no need for a humidifier. The only time the humidifier would turn on in there was if I had the tent open messing with the plants, once the tent was shut it never needed to turn on ever. So far it has been working well and easily keeping it between 55 and 64% humidity on and off.

3 Likes

You can put a sock over the pipes.
They wouldn’t get any more water from me until they beg for it. :smile:
Gnats are nothing but a symptom of overwatering, no curse!

7 Likes

I could cover the pipe pretty easy, but its the drain on the bottom of the boxes where I assume they are coming from. I thought about trying to find some fine mesh I could hot glue over the drain/overflow maybe. I would rather them just die so I don’t have to pull the boxes out and do some shit like that. They shall die one way or another! :crossed_swords:

3 Likes