Announcement/general discussion thread about changes to seed runs

Don’t sweat it, I am not taking this personally at all @api312 . What you are seeing is really just a bunch of issues being addressed. I get folks just want a free for all method to be used but unfortunately that has been proven to be an issue. Me distributing the 2021 fall box in May of 2022 should show that it’s a problem.

This is one of the reasons we decided to allow non Co-ops to be distributed instead of cutting them out completely like some want. With so many members all having their own opinion we found the system we are putting in place to be kind of a middle ground.

You would be amazed to hear the different opinions and the broad spectrum they cover. Some want the Co-ops to be shut down and others want to just be able to use it any way they see fit. With such differing opinions there is no way to keep everyone happy. None of this was put in place to hold power over others, more to keep this system running smoothly so members benefit from it.

19 Likes

Maybe there should be 2 categories? One for approved seed runs and one for everything else. Use 2 separate distribution networks to mitigate workload.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. This new paradigm is certainly preferable than the outright end of seed runs entirely. Again, I appreciate all you do and thanks for the clarification on these changes. :raised_hands:

11 Likes

I just want to say the idea of making packs for 13 different seed runs is a huge time commitment.
I hope all these changes will make it more manageable for everyone that is volunteer time to do this for us.

10 Likes

Not necessary @Kabuddha , we have 2 categories already. We dont need a second distribution network. Remember the fact that OG 1 was shut down for seed sales, we need to keep things under control and avoid mistakes of the past.

15 Likes

I always vote “No” for politicians. :man_shrugging: :joy:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

I break that word down to it’s Latin root form.

“Poly” being many and “ticks” as blood sucking creatures.

15 Likes

I’m definitely going to be using that!

2 Likes

Is a special thread going to be starting to determine what is eligible, or this is it?

2 Likes

This is the thread @Emeraldgreen. As the OP states, if you wish to do a Co-op run post the strain here with all the information you have on it. The action group will decide if it qualifies as a co-op. Same for non co-op runs. Post them here and if accepted for distribution you would make the individual packs up and ship them in to be added to the spring or fall box. When someone posts a strain for consideration they should tag the @ coopactiongroup.

10 Likes

I know it can be difficult for ppl to accept when new rules come into place. The idea of a select group of ppl making decisions tends to rub ppl the wrong way. I would just like to say that I applaud this decision and believe it will help seed boxes reach users more efficiently in the long run.

Just think about it this way… this place is so awesome that so many people wanted to contribute to seed giveaways and it actually created an issue where there were too many to sort and distribute! Like… that’s Fkn awesome! Let’s not lose sight of the big picture here. These fine folks are just trying to get a little bit of organization. Anyone who’s packaged seeds before knows how time consuming it is! This is going to be a game changer for our distributors.

I think this is a good move. I just hope the “judging” process doesn’t become too controversial.

30 Likes

for those who are new to the game but are interested in contributing in the future, what exactly does it mean to make individual packs? are they coin flips that need to be labeled? do the packs need to follow a certain format? thanks for clarifying.

12 Likes

It just means packaged for individual distribution. Could be in coin flips with washers. Could be in 3d printed seed pucks or containers like Sebring uses. There is no set standard but should be able to survive the postal rollers.

17 Likes

I doubt the coop action group will be too overbearing. They want people to contribute, and I’m sure it won’t be discouraging to anyone who wants to do a seed run. Seed runs are a big part of the community here and I highly doubt they want to bottleneck something that makes Overgrow so special. It seems that things will only be slightly more selective so it’s more preservation oriented and less “Pirate Bay”, IE making seeds from strains that are still available from the breeder that made the pack.

An example would be making Ancient OG seeds from a Motherlode Gardens pack vs making them from an old Bodhi pack. The MG run would be denied, as they currently offer their seeds for sale, but the Bodhi run would be approved, as those are no longer available. @DougDawson just said that non co-op runs may still be considered for distribution as well, so I don’t think they are trying to put their boots on anyones neck.

The other positive is that the co-op action group will be aware of all the seed runs happening at a given time, so they are able to manage and prepare for things on their end a bit better, rather than having to hunt through the co-op forum trying to figure out who’s doing what, and dealing with any last minute issues. So they can schedule their personal lives. The foundation for seed run distributions is only getting stronger. More people, more communication, and more organization and structure is going to make everything run a lot smoother IMO.

41 Likes

I think the other part is sending in packaged seeds. This way the distributor doesn’t have to package every run, only the approved ones

6 Likes

You, have a great insight and handle on the issues.

:green_heart: :seedling:

18 Likes

200w

9 Likes

Organizing and sending seeds out is a surprising amount of work. Im sure @G-paS is more organized than I am, but remember it’s a volunteer thing. That’s a lot of hours sorting/organizing/labeling etc. 10s of thousands of seeds get made here by OGs… Limiting the number of seeds going through the seed coop is fine IMO. Its a fuckton of work.

Remember, members are free to distribute their own seeds as they see fit as far as Im aware. Seems fine.

13 Likes

This sounds more than reasonable, it sounds logically obvious and necessary for continued scaling as the number of Overgrow users grows. I have received quite a few personal letters containing seeds directly from individuals, outside the box-sets, so I see no need for every run to be limited to being delivered via the consolidated boxes. This sounds like a great way to proceed.

12 Likes

:100: true. The action group has no control over what a user runs or distributes. Only what will go through Co-op distribution network. It was also agreed that some non Co-op runs can be distributed through the network if accepted and packaged by the grower. It’s good that folks are understanding this and not trying to paint it as some kind of control mechanism as that’s not our purpose.

10 Likes