Any hunters on the forum?

had my first sit off archery season this morning. saw a doe while I was pulling in to the spot but nothing during the hunt. heard some turkeys fly down and do a little gobbling. that’s cool for me because we have never had turkey on the property before and they have been slowly making a comeback around us the past few years. bought a tag just in case. did a little walking when I climbed down and found a great rub line that wasn’t there last week. this fella has been busy. going back out in an hour to see what comes along. good luck everyone. stay safe

8 Likes

Yes,the red ones is Amanita Muscaria, poisonous.

Preachers Collar ???

2 Likes

it all depends on the water they come from. small lake trout up to 20in. are better eating here than brook trout. only 6 to 10in. brookies would be better. i find white perch/ crappie are great eaters and worth the trip south to get them. llc salmon i find are horrible tasting and i either use the small ones for togue bait or put in the compost and release the bigger ones… most lakes have too many small stunted ones up here. i could go out on eagle/ st. froid and easily catch 50 in a morning but biggest might be 15-16in. caught my p.b salmon last jan. 8lb 6 oz. going on the wall. :wink:

3 Likes

Most poisonous shrooms have this, about half way up the stem they have a formation that looks like a shirt collar.

2 Likes

ah,ok…now i got you. ja,lot´s a o shooms have this collar below their hats.

5 Likes

Very true, and not always a sign of a poisonous mushroom…this thin little membrane is called a veil and protects the gills as they mature and the cap growing will eventually rip it as it gets bigger…

This thread is more geared towards harvesting animals in season, we have gotten a little sidelined with a few mush pics but those should be directed at the mushroom thread :slight_smile:

3 Likes

well I’ll tell you lake trout out of deep water,smoked they taste like smoked salmon, I can’t stand either fresh but i
like them both smoked

3 Likes

i have tried some smoked and they are premo.! our lakes up here on the canadian border are very cold and deep. south of here where its warmer, like where sea monkey is, i agree, they taste like mud.

1 Like

I’ve heard, if you keep the smaller ones under 15” they are similar to a any other trout (Sebago Lake has no limit On lake trout under 26“). Then if you smoke them, they make a good dip for crackers or as a fish salad type mix. I’m dont each much fish myself, I’m not sure how my relatives prepare the Culled lake trout I bring them. They all work together at my family’s Chinese restaurant, them along with the other kitchen staff will eat any fish I bring them, but I honestly try to only keep invasive species and let most of my fish go :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

2 Likes

a few years ago i was fishing for junk fish, mostly y. perch, fallfish and horn pout at a spot that rarely has anyone but kids fish there. a cadillac shows up which i thought was odd as we were 15mi. in on a dirt road. anyway 2 asian ladies and a guy get out and pull a huge marine cooler out of the trunk. i noticed right away they were plowed and speaking korean. i was there in the Army. they made a fire and started fishing. they kept everything from the smallest perch to the biggest fallfish. they were hooting and hollering having a gay ol’ time! when they left the cooler was full and it took all 3 of them to put it in the trunk. they were so plastered they had a hell of a time! we were laughing our asses off! i don’t know how they drove out of there but they weren’t on the side of the road on the way out.

3 Likes

Yea sounds about right… just like my uncles, they will eat anything lol. But at least with Asians and other “old country” types, they likely will eat the fish. My buddy that visits in-laws down in NC says he almost hates going fishing with them. They also keep everything they catch, fill a cooler like you described. But they just take a pic at the end of the day with all the fish dumped out on the ground, then they toss them in the trash :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. My buddy releases his catch like he normally does, and they get mad at him.

4 Likes

my favorite fishing is largemouth, but here there are almost none,was always catch and release.

1 Like

That really gets me man. People going hungry and you do that. We had some family to my wife shooting bucks and just taking heads. Sickening man.

Funny story about Asians and fishing. I was at Port Aransas and this gentleman comes into the fish cleaning house well dressed. He is wearing a UT polo and khaki shorts. He was looking for fish heads from the red snappers that fisherman did not want. I asked him why, and he told me about fish head soup.

I’m intriuiged by Asian food to be honest, real asian food. He described it to me. More intrigued yet, my plan was to clean my snappers and take them home whole, then to put them on the smoker.

He gave me the recipe and even ran home and got me some fresh lemongrass to cook them with (later I got some shoots to grow.)

Stuff is the bomb by the way. Wow. I need to go catch some snapper, as I have been out for sometime.

Turns out he was a professor at the University of Texas, gathering discarded fishheads. Never judge someone by what they do for sure.

5 Likes

I know fish head soup :face_vomiting: hated the stuff growing up. Stank up the house. My aunt use to make it for the family, but with salmon heads usually. My grandmother likes red snapper, traditionally we are most fish pan fried with scallions and garlic (usually no batter as I can recall) then some sort of sauce was made with it. I still don’t like much seafood, very rarely do I eat fish. When I do, it’s usually clams and shrimp deep fried lol. But yes to lemongrass in soups :yum:

2 Likes

Woodsman/Survivalist/Hunter here

11 Likes

It must be a love/ hate thing. We grew pretty partial to it, but we are fish lovers!

1 Like

Gorgeous view my friend.

2 Likes

and i thought i had a lot of shit in my bag!

3 Likes

That not just any “day bag”! Sad how most people won’t even know how to use many of those items

3 Likes

That’s not true. Any millennial could pick out and name 3 things they’ve seen in their video games!! :joy:

Using them now… :rofl:

6 Likes