Any hunters on the forum?

Yea … Hard pass on those … I think I’ve shot a couple hoodies cuz they zoomed in like teal before…

Took a drive by the pond and had some ducks on it tonight but the geese seem to be somewhere else… They are cutting a few fields already so they are probably feeding and roosting on the water…

1 Like

duck hunting…fond memories standing in water,freezing water ,while its raining freezing rain. And thinking “cant get a better day” I remember I was setting out dekes and my cousin was on shore doing something I set them out got back to shore and we got in the blind. About maybe a hour later, been a super clear sky the whole time, no flights …all of a sudden he says SHIT jumps up and blasts 4 decoys, turned out he fell asleep,forgot and woke up. Freaked me out.

4 Likes

man, ive eaten coot and mergs. not my finest moments but figured since i killed them i had better give it a shot. i just save my shells now and wait for something a little more palatable to fly by

6 Likes

Well fuck boys…burying dead at work today and had this happen

So watched them circle around and fly to the pond i have permission for and let them settle and then just spent an hour sneaking up on them and fucking up the shot I should’ve taken (Running down the hill to jump shoot them off the pond and 4 giants were locked up, feet down, trying to get in, should’ve taken them)

Instead I ran down the hill, twisted my knee all to hell and fired 3 shots at a good group that was about 60yds out… Ugh… Welcome back to waterfowl season I guess lol

13 Likes

got my limit of 4 ruffed grouse sat. saw 21 but they’re jumpy this year. must be a lot of predators around. messed up my bumper on my truck trying to avoid hitting a cow moose. it was the ditch or a 800lb. animal on my hood!

5 Likes

I did harvest some delicious chicken of the woods today though…

Basically took enough to make some fried strips for me and the lady for supper, I feel like I’m one of the few people around that appreciate different gourmet mushrooms so I left a whooooole lot for anyone else who sees, some more for me later this week, or the bugs and nature… I’m not lying when I say it tastes exactly like chicken when cooked lol

11 Likes

I need to try them. We eat morels in the spring, but that is it.

2 Likes

no chicken of the woods here as we don’t have oaks but I’ve been eating wood blewits for a week now growing next to my compost pile. i put down spawn 4 yrs ago and they’ve been coming up there ever since. also grow wine caps in the wood chip mulch around my other berry plants in the yard. the big ones make great stuffed mushrooms!

5 Likes

not that simple getting a hunting licence over here,so…

…some Bay Bolete ,i found today…

…to spice em up a bit, some Goat´sBeard(as we call it)…

…and Amethyst Deciever

12 Likes

Them red tops poisonous?
Do I see a preachers collar?

2 Likes

I do more fishing than hunting. I don’t even bother with planning a deer hunt anymore, but I do love squirrel and snowshoe hare hunting. Kind of like when I’m fishing by myself, I’d rather catch a nice colored up brook trout or pumpkinseed sunfish on light gear than just another 2-3lb bass.
That said, small game season just started here, and most rivers/streams now closed for the trout spawn. I cant wait to get me some bushy tailed tree chickens.

4 Likes

Sounds like a popular recipe for lake trout. Out your lake trout on a wooden plank. Oil/butter lemon and season your fish to taste, wrap it in tinfoil and put in oven or on grill. Once the meat in the thickest part flakes with a fork, remove the foil to allow some browning and crisping. Remove from heat once desired browning is achieved. Hold onto the plank and tip everything into trash, eat the plank.

1 Like

Well got skunked this morning…buzzed by a few wood ducks and then the rain started… Pretty decent morning either way since I was back in the blind

1 Like

had my first sit off archery season this morning. saw a doe while I was pulling in to the spot but nothing during the hunt. heard some turkeys fly down and do a little gobbling. that’s cool for me because we have never had turkey on the property before and they have been slowly making a comeback around us the past few years. bought a tag just in case. did a little walking when I climbed down and found a great rub line that wasn’t there last week. this fella has been busy. going back out in an hour to see what comes along. good luck everyone. stay safe

8 Likes

Yes,the red ones is Amanita Muscaria, poisonous.

Preachers Collar ???

2 Likes

it all depends on the water they come from. small lake trout up to 20in. are better eating here than brook trout. only 6 to 10in. brookies would be better. i find white perch/ crappie are great eaters and worth the trip south to get them. llc salmon i find are horrible tasting and i either use the small ones for togue bait or put in the compost and release the bigger ones… most lakes have too many small stunted ones up here. i could go out on eagle/ st. froid and easily catch 50 in a morning but biggest might be 15-16in. caught my p.b salmon last jan. 8lb 6 oz. going on the wall. :wink:

3 Likes

Most poisonous shrooms have this, about half way up the stem they have a formation that looks like a shirt collar.

2 Likes

ah,ok…now i got you. ja,lot´s a o shooms have this collar below their hats.

5 Likes

Very true, and not always a sign of a poisonous mushroom…this thin little membrane is called a veil and protects the gills as they mature and the cap growing will eventually rip it as it gets bigger…

This thread is more geared towards harvesting animals in season, we have gotten a little sidelined with a few mush pics but those should be directed at the mushroom thread :slight_smile:

3 Likes

well I’ll tell you lake trout out of deep water,smoked they taste like smoked salmon, I can’t stand either fresh but i
like them both smoked

3 Likes