Any hunters on the forum?

Right around that area yea lol

But decided since I can hunt here and not in illinois, I’d give it a good go

2 Likes

Was walking the dog this morning along the lake down the street . Shot guns going off at about 7:00 am . Water fowl season just started . Ill be hearing shotguns every morning for a few weeks now . Cooks bay lake Simcoe . Duck hunters from the GTA will know where I’m talking about I’m sure . When I moved here 10 years ago there was so much camo I couldn’t help thinking about the show Duck Dynasty . Lol

7 Likes

You can find quite a few people along both sides of that river valley that know me.
You’ll also find alot of my beans floating thru.

7 Likes

Took some clients out for doves Thursday. We partied it up more than we hunted. We were about 5 days too late as they started cutting corn and any birds that were in our field we pusbed out getting set up and they just never came back.

Everyone was just happy to get out and hang out and see people in person and be outside.

Taking a few days off of work for the bow opener, cant believe thats only a few weeks away.

Key to game meat like geese, ducks, venison- because it’s very lean is to not overcook it. Thats usually what people dont like.

@toastyjakes those silhouettes look great, impressive!

4 Likes

Spent all day walking around in dense smoke coming up from the U.S looking for deer. Stumbled onto a heard of 6-8 elk, and heard the cows talking to each other. I started mimicking them and a bull let out a couple bugles! Then later I watched a black bear chew berries on a nearby cutblock… i tried a fawn distress call to get him riled up… just cause, he didn’t care but about 5 minutes after the gf said she saw a short brown animal slink by in the trees about 100 meters away. So I may have called in a cougar lol. Sadly the only deer I saw was a young doe

5 Likes

It’s the taste that kills me and I’m a grissle, fat kinda guy!! Like eating liver! There’s a bar down the road that serves nothing but game, I use to go for the Martini’s and not the food. I’m in NYC suburbs though not too many people hunt like that. Don’t get me wrong a lot of people I know hunt but you gotta either find private land or go south or north of here. Believe me the worlds​ a better place WITHOUT ME CARRYING A GUN!! AND alot of the old spots that my GPA in law use to hunt quale, grouse is all gone. Either a housing development, shopping center, etc… Lamd is at a premium here and those old farmers pocketed a few clam shells!!

1 Like

it was the cold front that pushed them.
Cordova used to have a great population, lots of pic fields.
Wasnt nothing to take 4-5 guys out and come back with 60-75 birds in 2 hours.

Used to do a buck a shot on a box of 25 shells.
I used to shoot alot of trap and skeet competition and sporting clays.
You don’t know dove hunting till you’ve hunted these fields.
Used to take various prominent people out they compared it to Mexico where the white wings and mornings go during the winter.

3 Likes

You get to do any grouse hunting up north?

And yeah the combo of the cold front and abundant food nearby made them not come back. We bumped 30 or 40 off the field getting set up that didnt return so they were there that day. We only have a few acres in sunflowers so we’ll usually get 1 or 2 good hunts a year. Then its serious business around deer on the property.

1 Like

Have you ever gotten into those wintering huge doves that stick around?
Wed get into them while quail and pheasant hunting.

This is all I used to do during fall thru winter was fish hunt and trap.
Its how I fed and compensated my unemployment.
Freezer full of birds ducks, quail, pheasants, dove, few geese, love banging bunny’s. Even a few treedogs when I was younger.
3 deer a year is what I strived for.
Either bow or gun.

6 Likes

No, never gotten that serious w the doves. Last few years have really just been my experience after we started w the small sunflower fields.

Last few years have been light on birds in the freezer, didn’t get to make a couple of the duck trips I’d normally do. With the hurricane fucking everything up for me this week, looks like there will be an opportunity to detour to TX instead for a teal hunt. Hearing they’re thick in our spot right now. Now I’m hoping my original trip gets scrapped so I can get after the teal.

3 Likes

Sounds like college. One year I processed over 10 deer and put them away. Family and friends were donating does, mostly, not to mention the several I shot. I think that year was the last buck I’ve shot. I still have a mostly sustenance based hunting philosophy. Normally I can’t sit and wait for the buck that could be following her, because once I see her, I shoot her. :wink:

I learned the jalapeño, bacon trick on dove, yummy.

2 Likes

Just a meat hunter here myself.

I’d throw the dove breast in the crock cook them down and pull the breast bone out.
Then a can of cream if celery and a can of cream of chicken throw it over rice, mashed taters, pasta or whatever trips your trigger.

7 Likes

last time I shot teal i tried to use my thumb as a shotgun shell, them ejectors really tear it up.
And my Chessie got tired of retrieving them.

2 Likes

had friends that used to work for a beef processing plant, we did that twice a year.
Illinois has a split shotgun season.

2 Likes

That does sound good.

4 Likes

Lifelong hunter, fisher and outdoorsman. Haven’t hunted as much since my back surgery, but still like getting out a couple times a year.

6 Likes

I love shooting those little missiles as they zoom over the decoys… Still going for the damn cinnamon teal but gotta get out of this area to find them… One of the few ducks I’ve never shot based on region

2 Likes

Not so much on region anymore, they’re around.
Theyre up here, wife showed me a pic someone took and sure nuff.
Normally a southern coastal state bird.

Illinois used to have a special 10 day teal season does it still?

We used to treedog hunt in the morning and dove hunt in the afternoon that was before they changed to sunrise on the doves.

Miss it all terribly, when i got popped and took a 3 year hiatus cuz i had too.
My son and my dad quit hunting also at that time, took the wind right out of me.

1 Like

They do yea, here in iowa its a 16 day season… They also split duck season up oddly… Like for my spot ducks come in Oct 3 and stay in til Oct 9 then goes out again until Oct 17

1 Like

My son was all into it, got a rifle for Christmas, his hunter safety card, and then we couldn’t go due to finances. He got over it, quick. Yeah, it sucks bro.

2 Likes