Any hunters on the forum?

in the field i set em out as dekes, just closer to me is all its usually cold enough here

1 Like

Gots permission from my boss today for the fields and the 2.5 acre pond that the local geese sit on… I asked about hunting and he sighed and started telling me about how I cant shotgun hunt deer first season cuz his kids do and such

I was like naaaaaaaah no no no… I want the fields and ponds for ducks and geese. He was like “oh! Have at it then” lol

8 Likes

Permission is awesome. Congratulations on that!!!

4 Likes

Yea… Everyone here is focused on deer… When I said geese, he was all for it, the locals around here nest, brood and hang around all his ponds and shit all over the farm and yards so he’s happy to lower the numbers… Also ducks and geese were slamming those corn fields last year so it’s better to know I can and that I’m the only one out there unless I bring someone along… First couple weeks should be interesting for the geese… Gonna river hunt the ducks until this shallow thing freezes then I’ll hit the fields… May even cut a few more sillohuettes for snows too

8 Likes

try wrapping the breast in bacon siting on top a bed of stuffing , wrapped in foil and baked in the oven.

3 Likes

we have excellent grouse hunting here in n. Maine. season starts oct. 1. prefer eating them over the geese and the seasons run together so i usually go for grouse more. sometimes get into some snowshoe hare as well. plenty of woodcock but even strait i can’t hit those little fuckers! they love the alder thickets and its hell moving thru that and trying to shoot at the same time. guides with pointers get them consistently. i think the meat tastes like liver. not for me.

2 Likes

Yeah forgot about woodcock, there tons of fun! Only Time i actively hunted them was during thier fall migration. Would take them if i could otherwise but the time to get them was the migration.

3 Likes

Is it October yet? Lol

5 Likes

Yeah pheasant coming up here, as far as ducks and geese go, with geese smoke or marinate and jerk them, you will honestly be amazed, I hated geese, but grew up with the teaching that i had to eat it if i killed it, the hypocrites never ate the mice they killed though. Anywho honest it will amaze you.

3 Likes

with ducks i use the throw in and sea food method, I throw in oranges pears apples with the ducks, even in them then i throw in in the oven, after about 40 mins I throw in in the trash and eat whatever else i sea

1 Like

actually i try, but not a fan as of yet.

especially fish ducks its like wtf?

1 Like

I will shoot a merganser if I have to (only thing that got close enough) lol but I won’t eat that dirty thing lol

2 Likes

If you need another gun, ya know to make a bigger impact on that local population, I’m only a few hours from ya :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Again, Hank Shaw reference. But he swears making jerky from fishy ducks w a strong marinade makes them palatable. I try not to shoot mergansers as I dont want to have to deal w it.

2 Likes

Oh for sure! I’m always down for hunting buddies! Guy I work with hunts deer and can’t seem figure out why to hunt ducks and geese, told him he needs to go out and see how different than deer hunting it is lol

Can’t really cook breakfast in the deer stand haha

4 Likes

Ya eat them yad eat a mudhen

2 Likes

Oh dear lord lol

Limit on them is 15 a day and they’re everywhere… Noone is shooting them haha

2 Likes

some of you boys eating fish ducks cant get any fisheyer than a coot, unlimited supply abounds.
Go getem

3 Likes

except for a local drake or Suzy duck, yuck

1 Like