Any original OG members back?

Apologies, I’m still trying to figure out how the site works, I’m on my phone and it’s confusing.

Somewhere in the enormous disaster that is my storage room I still have an Overgrow screensaver that someone sent me. It’s on a cd, but I will try to find it because it had some pretty serious weed pr0n.

I guess people are skeptical of me, and I don’t blame them. For what it’s worth, though, I was tickled silly when I found out that Overgrow was back. I thought it was simply gone forever.

I wasn’t growing at the time and couldn’t really contribute much, but I made an account so I could return when I was ready to get the growroom going again. I hope that makes sense.

It’s taken me a long time to get everything ready, but I finally have all the basic equipment to get rolling and am trying to pop some of my old seeds. I decided to start posting more frequently since I am now actually trying to grow.

(Just fyi I’m battling serious health issues and most of the time I just don’t feel good enough to do much anymore.)

I do miss @makisupa, we had some good times back in the day (I’ve met him irl). If he’s still around, he should remember me.

Hopefully that clears things up, I saw some comments elsewhere about me, but was unable to reply.

Bonus pics of the gorgeous stash box Gypsy Nirvana sent me for my birthday lord only knows how many years ago. It and my Overgrow screensaver are pretty much all I have left from the good ole days.

17 Likes

@Hippiechik I am also from the old OG days.
I remember those Gypsy Nirvana boxes!

8 Likes

ralfhead22 back in the day. i wanted to use that again, but i have an interview on wednesday and may be doing it legit this time and wanted to reflect that. i just found @greenmonster714 and hadn’t heard from him since '05 i think. i was sitting here telling my fiance yesterday about this site and how it got busted in '06. damn glad to be back!

4 Likes

i remember that name!

3 Likes

Talking about this Krusty? I have stuff archived from way back. You wouldn’t believe the trash haha.

9 Likes

Krusty was an excellent teacher!
One of the most knowledgeable indoor growers I ever followed on OG.
I loved running his crazy concoction of a system, for a couple of years.
He taught me more about growing than any of the old worn out ear worms of the time.
Far ahead of his time.

6 Likes

Yes! I remember the shark tank and the seed wars too lol. I didn’t participate in any of the squabbling, but it made for entertaining reading sometimes.

Plural of mongoose was another name that I remember, along with Reaper (iirc he was in Russia, he grew some scary huge trees) and Rezdog.

I know there was a brutal amount of trash talk (in the shark tank especially), but everyone was always kind to me.

5 Likes

Pom is having a bad time now days via the feds.
:pensive:

3 Likes

I thought he was in deep doo with them 17 years ago?

First it was Gypsy, which apparently kicked his ass in more ways than one.

“Bring Popcorn” :rofl:

4 Likes

That’s too bad, hope he can turn things around

1 Like

If you have any other stuff archived I would love to see it.

2 Likes

Well…let me see. Ah! My comment on a discussion I’m having with Vic High, a canadian breeder.

*Me: **
** Well, after digesting the symposium several times with the aid of Mr. Webster, I’m still not convinced of the positive relationship between 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation, etc. clones and the claim that latent clone generations increase in regarding their degree of potency, in fact, this paper may suggest the opposite. As an aside, the one of the benefits senescence and latent aging has on a plant is the tendency of a plant to give up metabolites to its fruit and flowers. The positive effect of aging is only within the realm of physiological and chronological changes, which occurs relative to the amount of phytochrome increases that eventually trigger a flowering response. This being dependent on the genotype of the cannabis plant material and environmental conditions i.e. afghani/long nights.

This was a very interesting white paper, but in some parts confusing… such are postulations posed with different plant material (and one mesmerized reader ). This paper also did not represent current viewpoints…as if it matters, and no, I did not seek out recent data as I don’t have the time right now. Jury’s still out IMO.

What we have here is a paper that defines the meaning of ontogenetical, physiological, and chronological aging as defined by ‘early’ biological communities - how they may group and inter-relate, and how different types of plant material succombs to one or all processes eventually, unless rejuvenation takes place and that’s the kicker - rejuvenation. What this paper cannot address (of course) is the fact that no matter what effect these aging processes cause, cannabis potency is generally dependent on trichome density as well as the amount of cannabanoids and their makeup as found with those glands. You can have a heavy trichome field in which the stalked resin glands are filled with cannabanoid crap. Looks good, smokes bad. That is the key. If latent clone generations cause an increase in the amount of cannabanoids and the quality thereof… via a heavier density trichome field and improved resin gland composites, then we may have something here.

After wading thru a sea of definitions regarding what constitutes aging and senescence, the real meat is presented regarding our question - affects of rejuvenation (or aging) via pruning and the loss or enhancement of favorable characteristics… and I quote →

"Pruning also induces younger buds or tissue to form normal or adventitious shoots, these
being more juvenile than those removed. This can he seen as a kind of semi-ontogenetical
rejuvenation. Theoretically such a rejuvenation cannot be continued indefinitely, … This leads us to the old question of whether clones age or not (Rijhouwer, 1930), including the problem whether all plant cells remain totipotent… Based on extensive experiments with clones of Lemna minor L. (Vangerminn, 1965) the question regarding the ageing of clones can he answered negatively, provided the proper time and plant parts are chosen for propagation. Yet it cannot be denied that a continuous vegetative propagation sometimes leads to a loss of favourable characteristics (Hartmann and Kester, 1968)."

Take note - The “ageing of clones can he answered negatively, provided the proper time and plant parts are chosen for propagation”.

Another paragraph addresses the dynamics of clones as it relates to juvenile versus aging stages which again supports the theory that indeed cuttings (clones) may in fact be working AGAINST cannabis growers who hold dear to the hypothesis that clones are older and therefore “better”, and I quote →

"A true ontogenetical rejuvenation would mean that adult meristems could reproduce plants
***or parts being again completely juvenile." ***

How that is warranted or presented is not discussed, but I would presume that that would mean taking a cutting (which of course contains meristem tissue) and growing it out either in vitro or sticking the entire cutting in a rockwool cube or a pot and rooting it. In the case of Cattleyas (used as an example in my earlier post), that tissue is located at the foliar terminal tip.

" Some examples are represented by the production of new seedlings after amphimixis or even apomixis, and the spontaneous or artificial regeneration of juvenile plants, either in vitro or in vivo, from all kinds of adult plant parts, such as stems, leaves and flowers (Plerik, 1975). This ontogenetical rejuvenation is much more difficult to explain than the former physiological rejuvenation. It is supposed that an
isolation of a single or at least a limited number of totipotent cells from the surrounding tissue is a prerequisite for a totel rejuvenation (Steward, 1967). Comparable results were obtained by grafting juvenile seedlings onto the adult parts of the plant (ivy, sugarbeet, rubber), or by spraying them regularly with gibberellin (Stoutemyer et al., 1961). It should be noted that opposite effects were mentioned earlier, while discussing the probabilities of an accelerated ontogeny." ←

Alot of factors and considerations here. If I’m interpreting this right, the taking of meristem tissue (cuttings) actually causes a rejuvenation back to a juvenile state of the meristem portion. That doesn’t settle well with me per my earlier reflection of taking 8 year old budwood from a Pecan tree, grafting it to young rootstock, planting it, and watching as the new budwood grows and produces nuts very quickly compared to a seedling. The old budwood doesn’t know (chronologically) that it is now a one year old sapling, “thinks” it is an 8 year old tree, and bears as soon as it’s well established. Cuttings/budwood taken from the top part of a plant are considered botanically more juvenile than those taken at a lower point on the plant…per this paper, as an aside.

All in all, this was some great reading Vic, but ya done confused this cowboy once more - ma brain hurts! Time to smoke some Lone Star goodies!

Uncle Ben

From Vic:

Abstract:

An evaluation of literature leads to the conclusion that ageing and senescence can be
related to ontogenctical and physiological causes. Ontogenctical ageing is genetically
programmed, localized in the meristems, not related to exhaustion, and cannot easily be
reversed. This implies important consequences for vegetative multiplication and for the
characteristics of clones obtained. Physiological ageing is correlatively influenced, caused
by an increased disorganization and exhaustion, and is not localized in the meristems.
When not advanced, a reversal is possible. Senescence regards more often the
physiological ageing, but may he of ontogenctical nature.

*** Introduction:***

Terms related to ageing are used in confusion in every language because they are not
clearly defined. This regards, for example, ‘ageing’, and ‘senescing’, having a similar or
different meaning. It indicates the need for a better distinction and description of the
ageing processes, of its different phases, the process of ‘rise and shine’, covering the
juvenile and mature or adult phase, which received more attention than the ‘fall’,
representing the phase of full senescence. The latter negative aspect of ageing drew
interest more recently and became a new branch of science: phytogerontology.

This paper describes some of the present views with regard to ageing in the sense of
becoming more full grown, as opposed to ageing In the sense of getting more deteriorated.
It distinguishes an ontogenctical and a physiological type of ageing. This may have
implications and consequences for a discussion on ‘Juvenility in Plants’, the subject of this symposium.

General

Ageing in plants has three aspects, a chronological, an ontogenetical and a physiological one. In this order they are or, or less indicated by such opposing terms as: young and old, juvenile and adult, improving and deteriorating. There may be no contradiction if a plant is considered ‘young and adult’ or ‘juvenile and senescent’. Strictly taken all three aspects of ageing start from the formation of the zygote or, more in general, from germination or probably regeneration and terminate with the natural death…

6 Likes

Oh PoM is very screwed nowadays, he was indicted as one of the major Silk Road guys:

https://antilop.cc/sr/

5 Likes

That is one hell of a story

2 Likes

I am Asiatica from the original OG
That website brought me so much joy
The people the knowledge the vibes…so much good stuff.
The timing of the site was perfect.
One of my favorite things about the original site was the Strain Guide.
The strain guide was a resource for community driven research and information.
It was an amazing tool for us back then.
I hope this feature can be brought back as I believe it is still a relevant tool for growers and consumers.
Peace and positive vibes.

10 Likes

Well, I’m one of the old timers I guess. big island bud, I became a member in 2000 while living on the BI of Hawaii. Became a mentor along the way and had a gas sharing my love of cannabis growing. When OG went down I was already on the mainland and generally steered clear of the internet like a lot of folks. I did frequent ICMAG but just for a short while. Missed corresponding with some people and all the sharing of genetics. Over the next 17 years I am still doing my thing, but just moved recently and not growing at the moment but hope to be in the coming months. Meanwhile I will pop in from time to time and hope all are doing well out there!

15 Likes

Welcome! I think I remember your username, but my brain has more holes than Swiss cheese and I don’t trust my memory haha :rofl:

4 Likes

Holy crap, that is crazy! I kinda liked the guy, he was a shit stirrer but I thought he was funny.

Didn’t Rezdog get snared up in some seriously deep dookie as well?

2 Likes

They got ~shabang~ too… :cry:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/computer-programmer-sentenced-prison-making-false-statements-about-his-involvement-silk

5 Likes

Aloha, remember you well. Nice to see you’re still kicking. I’m sure there are quite of the few old timers not with us any more. God knows I’ve had my share of med problems - cancer, lumbar fusion, etc. Was a caretaker of a VERY disabled, sick woman for 13 anguishing years. Lost her Jan. 10 one year ago with problems starting at Xmas 2022 ending in 15 miserable days in 3 hospitals. If you’ve ever lost a beloved spouse you know it’s pure hell. Loneliness is unreal. Met a fine, hot, smart and fun loving gal in a Grief Share group held at a local church. She is a blessing.

Be well,
Uncle Ben

8 Likes