Anybody else like to fish?

11 Likes

Just the one, but what an incredible day on the ice.

16 Likes

And no bugs!

3 Likes

Weird winter, I’m near Duluth and we’ve had ice out already - typically it’s mid-late April. Ice fishing season went about a month, it was never safe for vehicle traffic.

But - my boat is ready. “Gamefish” season is closed til May, but I’m looking forward to getting out and catching some crappies.

6 Likes

Only a day to go :heart_eyes:
We’ve been getting some heavy rain so it’s going to be a spinning rod required tomorrow with my favourite 9cm black and silver rapala (Finnish minnow)

That one I’m about to unhook.
Hopefully i can catch something tomorrow to put a bend in the rod?

Best of luck everyone when you get the opportunity to get out.

11 Likes

Here’s my Big Lund with a limit catch of BOG gear hanging over the side.
Sour Bubble and Bogglegum.

14 Likes

Nice on both accounts! My current boat is a Lund Pro Guide, have always been a Lund guy. The hang dry looks pretty pretty good too.

1 Like

Yea the 20’ Big Lund gets the garage and my baby 12’ Lund gets used for chasing pan fish on local lakes. Baby Lund has to sit outside year round, but at least it gets covered up in the winter.
The big one is rigged for the Great Lakes.

10 Likes

I like to fish.

5 Likes

gettin in the last few days of ice fishin here. Still over a foot of ice but the melt is on early this year. Might not be safe to go out after this coming weekend.
That said, my brother from Ontario is here for a week and we slayed em.
Kokanee aren’t big fish but they are sure fun to catch and excellent eating… freshwater sockeye salmon.

gotta get the boats ready soon!

15 Likes

Sooooo jealous. Well done.

2 Likes

Wow, when I saw the title ‘fishing’ I never thought about you landlocked types.

The thought of 30-40 lb tuna probably never crosses your mind. Or hooking a black sea bass that can weigh 400 lbs-like hooking a pickup. Makes your arms so sore then next day you can’t comb your hair. Or trolling behind the boat and watching 900 lb swordie jumping at your lure.

2 Likes

I got on a school of 10" - 12" Kentucky Bass the other day and caught them one after another till I got tired/bored of catching them. My arm did not hurt the next day. :wink:

2 Likes

That sure sounds like it would be fun on my 5 ft. ultra light rod and reel. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve never had the chance to fish for Tuna or swordfish but here on the west coast of Canada I have options to fish for Fraser River Sturgeon, my largest being in the 10foot range and probably pushing 1000 pounds. Caught many 3 to 6 foot sturgeon here as well. From where I am now it’s a 4 hour drive to the fishery.
I keep a 22ft boat in Tahsis BC where we fish for west coast salmon, ling cod and halibut , going as far as 25 miles offshore. Need a bigger boat to get to 40km offshore where the Tuna reside. Haven’t done that yet. I ran charters and fished recreationally in Nootka Sound , BC but my body is getting to the point where ocean fishing is getting real painful.
Still, the ocean off the fraser river mouth and Vancouver, BC is 5 to 6 hour drive depending on the launch we choose and I have a Four Winns Freedom 195 I use for the big lakes and for the ocean fishing down there. Nootka is a 6hr drive to the ferry, then another 5 of driving on vancouver island to reach the fishing grounds.

This family were the last charter I ran in Nootka a few years ago. Boat is still there and it gets used a few trips each year to get fish for the freezer.

13 Likes

Nice salmon!! Bet you also see those ‘chickens’ or barn door halibut up there.

2 Likes

ya if we go offshore from nootka there are flats a few miles out where halibut and other bottom dwellers can be found. Sometimes the halibut are closer in though and we have caught them by surprise trolling salmon gear along some of the gravelly beaches.

3 Likes

3 fish today, spinnerbait around shallow wood.

13 Likes

I have a buddy whose wife caught a 220 lb halibut up there. She said she almost threw the pole in the water when it got to color.

2 Likes

I didn’t even go to the river today it was running at 182cm so it’s around 4ft too high for fishing, I’ll fish it when it’s falling back, between 55/45cm is the ideal window that’s generally the most productive water height.

2 Likes