Anybody else like to fish?

Wow, I never caught one that big. I know he fought. I used to know some beaver ponds in the mountains of Montana that I fished and got really nice fat 10-12 inchers. They fed on a freshwater shrimp that makes their meat bright pink. So, tasty to eat as well.

I still have to get my bearings where I live now. I have some beaver ponds scouted out in the mountains and hope they’re brookies that I saw my first time there. Haven’t been back to fish them yet. They were in that size range.

Where do you catch them that size? A lake?

edtit: Ahh, I see you got in a stream. that must have been fun.

2 Likes

Nice brookie

1 Like

Last week fishing with my older boys. They had a blast slamming sunfish.

3 Likes

Any size, eaters?

2 Likes

There was some fat ones but over never tried eating them before. What is it like? Bass?

1 Like

Well, don’t know precisely, never weighed any, but once they were spent enough to bring alongside the boat we would get a rough measurement of length, many were 6 feet plus.
Their weight was likely around 200 lbs.
This approach (in a boat on a large body of water) was the only way I could ever land the big ones. After sunset in the deeper channels around Key West was the easiest way to hook up the big ones.
I would hook many smaller, landlocked Tarpon in the canals and ponds in Broward County with my medium bass outfits, but I lost every one of ‘em.

Going up to Lake Okeechobee rim canal this coming Friday to catch some Crappie on 2lb ultralight gear with beetle spins. Smoking some bowls and tangling with these fish is more fun than a barrel of monkeys…great sport and great eating.

2 Likes

Ooooh number 1 eating fish in these parts besides crappies, northerns and walleyes.
8-10" perfect size, fillet them out and fryem up.
Fantastic eating

3 Likes

Nice----- 2 lb crappies don’t take many to make a meal of them

3 Likes

I like crappie and perch. They were all this size.

5 Likes

Would’ve filleted him if I was Joneses it.

2 Likes

Perch? Dude, that gives away where you are from! Most places call them sunfish. That’s what the locals call them here, regional differences crack me up.

We put those on jug lines for bait. My. Wife caught a 40+ pound flashed here a couple weeks ago. Jug lining, lazy fishing, yup.

2 Likes

Ummm ring yellow perch just as soon have them over walleyes

2 Likes

Try bullheads without their stingers, excellent flathead bait.
Probably none better

2 Likes

Perch is my fav, then probably brook trout then walleye.

Oddly enough Ive never tried crappy but Im sure its amazing.

Lots of people in Michigan love bluegills and sunfish. Just usually have to catch a million to get 20 big enough to eat

3 Likes

Crappies are a bit on the bland side but people like that, I prefer Gillies then northerns myself.
We got nice gills round here, nothing to limit out on them 8,9, 10" fish.
Only takes 7 fish for me and the wife, along with the fixens.
Limits 20 per license.

2 Likes

My first experiences smoking weed were while out fishing with my buddies as a kid. Probably why I enjoy it and have such fond memories of fishing trips.

I don’t pay much (any?) attention to the science, techniques, etc,. of catching fish…
but, it’s still one of my favorite things to do.
No better way to pass the day. Watching nature, listening to birds, and staring at a string in the water :smile:
Around here, it’s almost all crappies (papermouth bass, we called them when I was a kid), but occasionally you catch a nice largemouth, or a pickerel.

3 Likes

Since farm pond fishing, I have not caught many bullheads. I know of a pond about 4.5 hours from here I could catch a bunch in. I just don’t see them much. I will keep that in mind. Sunfish work pretty well in the lakes I fish. You have to find the right spots though. Flathead is excellent eating.

2 Likes

Flathead is the best catfish to eat, nice firm meat.
Don’t get any better, catfish wise.
Excellent

Channels and blues all get mushy, yuck.

1 Like

I was shocked at just how good it was. Especially being that big.

Great thing is that fishing with my wife, my jug lines are all organized, counted, and in order. Before I hauled several around that were not in fishing shape :joy:

Gonna try for crappie here soon. They have started to move into the area. Last weekend on the dock had quite a few perch

Some small walleye

And some good fighting northerns.

8 Likes