Anybody else like to fish?

I am gearing up for crappie season .
Boat cleaned up, trailer ready and battery is charging.
Just waiting on ice to thaw and water temps to rise.
Those pics from Colorado are awesome .

4 Likes

I’m going after those lake trout again on Wednesday, but going to be more active and mobile. If nothing shows in 10-15 mins we punch more holes or move.

4 Likes

It’s almost tripletail time.
:smiley:

2 Likes

Fly fishing or casting rod? Looks like a wonderful fly spot.

1 Like

Thats sad…

1 Like

Gorgeous spot man, would be a dream of mine to fish waters like that.

2 Likes

Got this bad boy last year during the salmon season…

Great fight and tasted delicious. Dont mind the foot…

8 Likes

Nice fish, how was the foot anyway? Looks delicious, for a foot. LOL

4 Likes

I primarily fly fish, though streamers or spinning gear works at least as well if not better.

3 Likes

When I was recovering from a back injury I started hand planing the pieces for split bamboo fly rods for this famous fly rod maker Bob Taylor. He restored the fly rods used in A River Runs Through It. One of the few guys that knows how to thread the guides on the old school way, and was great at restoration too. The only guy alive connected to one of the original split cane fly rod makers, Garrison. He was the only person trained by someone directly trained by Garrison . He’s old school, and I don’t even think he has a website. He doesn’t need one. All of his rods are sold before he makes them, if he is still doing it. It’s pretty cool work. Some of the tips of the tapered bamboo strips were only twelve thousands of an inch. One extra pass with the plane could change the action of a rod.

That’s really sad to hear. I always pictured wonderful fishing in Nova Scotia. Most of the Creeks here have mostly Hatchery fish, but there is still a lot of natural reproduction going on in some streams, especially in the feeder streams. I fish almost exclusively for wild trout, avoiding the streams that have only hatchery fish. Once they are in the Stream a year or two, it’s hard to tell a hatchery fish from a native-born fish aside from the messed up fins.

4 Likes

Nice fish! Atlantic Salmon?

1 Like

Pacific, was fortunate (and stupid enough) to take a 15’ aluminum boat out into the Ocean. Worked out though!

2 Likes

Thats a small boat for big water. But if the fish are biting, you gotta do what you gotta do lol.

2 Likes

Anyone ever watch the old Mel Krieger videos? Dude was hilarious, a phenomenal teacher, and a total fly fishing legend.

I use both… some holes are easier with my lil 4.5ft spin reel setup

1 Like

Never battled one of those. I’m pnw salmon

2 Likes

I thought I snagged the bottom in 42 fathoms of water, the strike was so violent… I was using a downrigger at 20 fathoms trolling a quick-fish with a butterflied sardine on its belly and the rod didnt even “pop up”… Literally just doubled over deeper with the classic pumping. One of the best fights ive had in awhile!

• BD
2 Likes

Man had heard people use that word in so long. Love it, fathom

1 Like

Hey @Motaco, what area of the Arkansas is that? I went up and scouted it last year just before winter set in.

I live in Trinidad and our best fishing is in lakes. But, I’m heading back up to the Arkansas as soon as the weather eases up. The ice is starting to disappear in the local lake and I fish it in my kayak but I really miss stream fishing.

Hey @Upstate, that’s a great movie, A River Runs Through It. It was filmed around Bozeman, Montana, although the book was about the Blackfoot River in the western part of the State.

They used the Boulder River south of Big Timber. I’ve fished it a lot when I lived in Livingston. Two friends from Bozeman are in the movie as extras, lol. They filmed it the year I moved but they told me all about it when I went back to snowboard the next year.

4 Likes

Back at it, still. Much better today, so far I got 5 topside

10 Likes