Anybody else like to fish?

Mid-fifties here, no more ice :frowning:

1 Like

It is the area between Canon city and Coaldale I think? Somewhere below Salida.

2 Likes

That laker is a fatty, eating well. Nice job!

1 Like

Full of freshwater alewifes, I got 6 total yesterday.

2 Likes

I almost out fished all the 5 other people in the group combined… and I was the only one that wasn’t a registered fishing guide :rofl::rofl::rofl:. They all together caught 8-9, I had 6 by myself and lost 3 that didn’t stay on the hook.

2 Likes

It had amazing fishing at one time . I am 40 and saw the very last of it back in the early 90s. Basically most of the province has been clear cut a couple times over since just the 60s. 50% of all operable land was clear cut in just 25 years. In 2008 only 0.06% of our trees were 100+ years old.
But ya just the difference I have seen in my lifetime is mind blowing. Rivers I use to catch wild salmon and brook trout in that use to stay cool with only occasional low water , now don’t even have salmon or brook trout and barely are a trickle of stupid hot water most of the summer. It is a drought here every year for years now. Not a healthy river , lake , or even ocean left. We have a size and catch limit on Mackerel . The average size are smaller then I have ever seen by about half. But ya we do not have wild salmon or brook trout anymore and that is all this province use to have in my lifetime. Now it is all SMB , Chain pickerel , brown and rainbow trout , and striped bass fishing.
The kicker to all of that is the few rivers that have the stocked trout and salmon are still marketed to tourists like they are healthy .

I encourage anyone just to look at Nova Scotia on google maps satellite view. You will see exactly what I am talking about and those images are 3-4 years old atm.

2 Likes

I think fishing advancements is one of the culprits.
Today’s technology is beyond belief.
360 sonar wtf.

The Linder boys started with a rock and a string and merely went by depth, how hard the rock hit and if you could get the rock back up without snagging it.

Shit when I was youngin living on the Big River, fished blind and still caught fish.

4 Likes

I hear that. I have Color fish/depth finders and an underwater camera but most times I just head out and look for what seems like the appropriate environment for what I am after and either drop a line or start casting. I may catch less but I am out there to get away from technology, not burry myself under it. That said I still have the stuff :rofl:

2 Likes

@DougDawson been watching you come right into your own here.
Respected already, nice :ok_hand:

Yeah hear ya got all that neat shit also, just have a hard time getting away from the weed edge.
Needless to say I don’t use it much other than a trolling motor.

Bought a new fishing pontoon this year its all set up, just good enough.
Spot lock trolling motor that runs off the locater
Anchor mate
New Lowrance elite.

3 Likes

Thanks brother, I like it here. So many great people who have been very welcoming. Looking forward to sticking around and contributing where I can :smiley:

I too spend much time at the weed edge:) My new fun time is going out on one of my jet skis, hooking into a decent Pike while in this thing is a blast. I rebuilt this thing and have been having a blast with it ever since.

6 Likes

Where’s your locater and trolling motor at?

Lmao

6 Likes

LOL, I actually have a portable that will work on it but have never used it with the ski :rofl:

3 Likes

Cant wait for the weather to warm up. Sitting in the boat all night listening to tunes and smoking doobs catching catfish is my favorite pass time. Some nights i catch more buzz then fish.

5 Likes

That thing is super cool . Can’t say as I have ever seen one like that.

3 Likes

It’s great, seats 2 side by side. The steering disengages and has 3 positions, left, right and middle depending who want’s to drive or if you are alone. Stock images off net:

6 Likes

O wow was wondering about the steering . That makes it even cooler . Would be super easy to make the passenger go for a dip if you wanted lol

6 Likes

I can say with 100% certainly that it is easy :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It helps you see if fish are there, doesn’t make them bite. I have that first generation panoptix ice bundle, doesn’t show it all, but more useful than an underwater camera in most situations. However, if your after suspended panfish through the ice… it’s a game changer for sure :joy:

2 Likes

With the recent heat wave I just might be able to fish this month!! :slightly_smiling_face: I’m helping a friend move tommorow who lives by a lake, I’ll have to try and drop a few lines

2 Likes

Still a game changer and you know it is.

3 Likes