Anybody else like to fish?

waiting on a 13.1 to be finished as we speak… farm pond… cold water, jackhammer chatterbait with a rage menace trailer. a few pops up in the brush and she latched on

3 Likes

rod stabilizers are great for using a heavy stick when power fishing for large mouth… setting a hook when flipping and pitching grass pas can hurt.

1 Like

Pics or this didn’t happen, let’s see that fish

one second amigo, pulling up my fishing insta now

I forgot my logins for my fishingwithtrae insta. Can’t download my photos.

5 Likes

Nice my biggest is 8lbs 8ozs.
I live in MN, short growing season.
Diffently a record for here.

3 Likes

Getting ready to drop this back in the water…skipping striper fishing with this boat as I put on the 21" props which goes too fast to troll for stripers in 80’ of water…so if I want to striper fish I will use my center console…this is a 35’ Viking repowered with two 8v71 Detroit Diesels with turbo chargers…it will move out now…better then the two 454 gas motors it came with.
We scurry around on this looking for cobia and big schools of redfish in the Bay and offshore of Va. where more is available.

6 Likes

So not sure if this has been posted here getting behind but I thought I’d share this awesome perch cleaning vid works slicker then snot!

8 Likes

Wow been here in CO for 13+ years and have fly fished RMNP once or twice Emerald lake … where’s this beautiful stream at?

2 Likes

My buddy took me, but I am pretty sure it was the Upper Cache La Poudre. Sorry I can’t remember. It isn’t my neck of the woods. I am in the Springs.

2 Likes

I did fairly well on the lake trout today, caught 8. There’s too many and they want them all out, so I kept some. Two others were kept but were in a different pile. The last one of the day was released, didn’t want to deal with any more of them. I have lots of family members that like fish.

I was out with a friend who’s a guide. I was there to help set up and take down. I only kinda feel bad that I out fished both his clients combined :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

We have a limit of 2 per day here :unamused: great day!

Hammerhandle pike are like that here in MN.
Want them thinned out

They introduced lake trout into this lake like 30 or so years ago, it was one of the few lakes in the world with Native landlocked Atlantic salmon. Now alewives knocked out the smelt, and lake trout are goring on them and the small salmon. Needless to say politics and wildlife management doesn’t go hand in hand.

5 Likes

Hey @Motaco, Do you happen to know how the section of the Arkansas River is between Salida and Canón City? I went up last year to scout it a bit but never got my line wet. A cold front came in and it’s been winter ever since.

I’m in Trinidad and our stream isn’t fishable until the lake fills back up. So, I’m kayak fishing mostly. I’ve been back out here for about 5 years and still haven’t done much stream fishing.

I’m looking to get some new waders/shoes and start going again this year. I was blown away by the beauty if the Arkansas River. I can’t wait to fish it.

I’m also planning to head down to Antonito to fish the Conejos River. It’s sort of in an isolated place and I know a few people who have fished it. They tell me the fish are large there, as well.

I have my stonefly nymphs and some midges to tie on as a dropper and some small nymphs with tungsten to help them sink better. I almost went this week to one of those rivers but both are in the cold zone and the wind has been ferocious this week. Here’s to tight lines! :beers: peace

2 Likes

I have fished out there a half dozen times. It can be tricky fishing. I think big freestone rivers are probably always tricky. It’s mostly 8-14 inch wild brown trout, but bigger fish are found in there occasionally. I really go out there for the scenery and a little change from my regular waters.

The fishing reports from the fly shop in Salida are way more accurate and honest than the reports from the fly shop in Canon City.
It’s worth reading the local fishing guides reports. Their website also has an excellent section detailing the habitat of different sections of the river, and where you can park or camp.

4 Likes

I can hardly wait to hit the streams again when the smallmouth bite is on. They’re a blast on a fly rod!

11 Likes

anybody fish out of a kayak? after selling my old aluminum canoe last year, im missing the water. ive done a little bit of kayaking but not really fishing from one. found a good deal on a lifetime teton pro and thinking about grabbing it tomorrow after work. just curious if anyone has been in one and what their opinion of it is.

5 Likes

It can be amazing. Hook into a nice Northern Pike or Musky and you are going for a ride. Even a nice Bass will pull you around. Can be a little precarious though so make sure your tackle box is always closed and your gear is all tethered somehow to the boat.

4 Likes

thanks for the advice. mostly ill be after crappie, white bass, walleye, maybe some small cats. im excited to get off the bank again, thats for damn sure.

5 Likes