Anybody else like to fish?

That particular river has mostly Brook trout and cutthroats in the upper sections, and rainbows and browns further down.

3 Likes

This is right down the street from me.

1 Like

Caught just one, but only fished for like an hour at and after sunset. I saw others on the sonar but they didn’t want to bite

12 Likes

Looks like a crappie day.
:wink:

4 Likes

Its a Snapper this is about 11 lbs but they grow to about 30 lbs

2 Likes

a nice session on the mackeral 2 weeks ago

10 Likes

First dink on the new rig

12 Likes

If we can stop killing them all, more would grow to this size. This fish was released after 10 minute walk around, I still think she was a bit weak swimming away, but I was not carrying 45lbs home :wink: She would have had zero chance of survival on a stringer, or bashed with a bat.

15 Likes

Anyone in these waters? I’ll get set up and will be down! Let’s just make sure we use our life preservers in case one takes us out of the boat! Lol

6 Likes

Nice is that considered a master angler?

1 Like

Illinois River is full if them, need to worry more about broken face parts.

2 Likes

Estes park is a small mountain town just mere miles away from this beautiful area!

We have a “the one that didn’t get away” patch from the state when you submit fish if a certain size for a species, but I haven’t looked into that. I didn’t even measure that one lol, the biggest I’ve caught and measured was 14.5”… damnit I should of measured that one lol.

My recorded best

Then again I didn’t measure this one I caught while fly fishing for pike

8 Likes

My wife caught a 15” one in the brainered lakes region off a private lake Aggate off one of the decks but it was put back for another day!

2 Likes

Hey I know where that’s at, I live about 10 minutes from that lake.
I live just outside of Brainerd

2 Likes

Sweet I was thinking I’d get a hit in that one! Was 2002 so awhile ago!

1 Like

That’s where I stopped, Ark Anglers (i tghink) in Salida. They were definitely a good stop. I talked to the guy for a while after they got their guided trips out the door for the day. I hear you on the scenery. That was my main reason for that trip and I had a blast. It had been years since I’ve been up there.

I lived in Montana for 12 years and taught myself to fly fish there. I learned on the Yellowstone and It was tough. Same with the Madison. The float boats are the better way to go on those rivers. I fished the smaller feeder streams to those rivers and loved it.

That reminds me of a stream I grew up close to in north central Alabama; the Locust Fork of the Black Warrior River. They had really nice large Smallmouth bass in them that were mean as hell, ha. Hard to land them, but I caught some nice ones and even bigger ones that jumped out to show me how big they were as they shook my fly off, lol.

3 Likes

Pound for pound smallies are definitely stronger than largemouths. Spend their whole lives getting a workout in the rivers and streams.

6 Likes

First time I ate those was in North Dakota on the Missouri River. I never fished for them but a local working with us treated us to a feast after he caught one that was really large, maybe 60#? The guys mom made fish stick like fillets and fed our whole crew. Some of the best fish I’ve ever had. There was a super large bowl of these golden fried fillets and they just kept coming.

He was snag fishing and I guess that’s the primary way to catch them?

2 Likes

@SubSoilSelections . Female Paddlefish are moving out of the lakes and into the rivers out here. We were at limit within 2 hrs with four in the boat. My largest was 78#. That was just a few days back.

6 Likes