Anybody else like to fish?

Here’s a few little ones that I caught earlier in the week.

5 Likes

perch season is over here. now the long wait for salmon season…

2 Likes

Having gilleys for supper, lol
To bad so sad

2 Likes

The amount of fish that move through there is utterly amazing. That’s where I first saw the shoulder to shoulder treble hook dragging.

1 Like

The amount of fish that go thru my belly is simply Amazing

3 Likes

No more trebles allowed but shoulder to shoulder in some areas isn’t the word for it lol always a good time

2 Likes

snagging is allowed where you live? or am i misunderstanding you? if you’re caught here they (DNR I think) confiscate all of your shit. i think there may be a really small window where it’s allowed but i dont know.

No way is snagging legal anywhere as far as I know, but people do it anyway and usually get punched out or fined on the spot by F&G here in California.

There are HUGE fines here for snagging a fish (especially wild steelhead) but certain people used to fish The Wall at Nimbus dam. They would slap a heavy lure against the wall, let it sink, and jerk their rod hard and high as they reeled in. It caused so many problems and fist fights that it is now illegal to even fish that spot anymore.

The comment about Pulaksi is Central New York where I used to live. (I was down in Ithaca) People would put a ball weight on a swivel and line up 2, 3, or 4 unbaited treble hooks and drag and jerk dying salmon to shore. There are so many fish there it is insane.

People literally stand shoulder to shoulder and try to fish. Outside of the snagging I witnessed a lot it can be pretty comical to see folks spend most of the day untangling their lines from each other…

2 Likes

Fine line between snagging and drifting :crazy_face: we now use size four hooks ten pound line florocarbon line backed by twelve pound…with a leader off your main no longer then four foot

Yeah. It’s crazy.

I wanted to eat some walleye the other day but it’s just not in the cards.

I believe Illinois has legal snagging for spoonbill catfish

you can snag alewive all you want for salmon bait. that’s actually kind of fun.

If your ever in pulaski sept -oct give me a shout I’ll take you on a foot guide trip I have probably caught over a hundred and hooked into countless !! Some days I don’t even smoke till I get out of the river and that’s a rare occasion for me to not smoke as well get out of the river lmao

2 Likes

Don’t laugh to hard at the picture of my boat.

9 Likes

What else you expect me to do, have caught alot more with alot less.
This is fuckin ridiculous

3 Likes

I remember when we were young for the heck of it we would go trout fishing with a eight foot green switch some line and a couple hooks …flipping rocks for bait …spent all the money on hooks lol

3 Likes

I grew up the same way. Had to beg for a 10-12 feet long section of monofilament to make a jerk pole and you treasured every fishing hook that you had.

3 Likes

Gear doesn’t mean anything after a pretty basic point. The rest is just sucking you of your dollars because you suck at fishing and hope that more gear is the answer lol
For years I carried many boxes of flies of all types . Then at one point I realized most of my luck was from just a handful of flies .
I have never owned sage , simms , orvis , etc etc. But I have caught tons of trophy quality fish all across Canada , and have even been paid good to guide those with all that fancy overpriced crap.
Gear doesn’t make the fisherman. Time and knowledge does. But boy oh boy do those shitty fishermen ever love their top notch gear hahaha

6 Likes

The best fly rods I’ve had were home made or inexpensive. You’ll snag a tree behind you in a tight creek on an expensive rod just as easy as you will on a cheap rod.

I still have a Scott 5 piece travel rod that I never use because, every time I used it I broke the tip. I’d have to ship it out to Montrose Colorado for a complimentary repair that still cost over $20 a shot, and took a few months. I think it was a $400-$500 rod. I did get it on a sale but, still.

It has a broken tip to this day. I guess I should get it repaired and find that guy above with the ultra gear boat. He’d buy it.

My most favorite rod was a 6 foot brushy creek rod made by a friends dad in Wisconsin. It was made from a Fenwick blank. Man, I miss that rod. I’d take a fiberglass rod any day over a graphite. If you look, the fiberglass are the “elite” rods again, now and cost more than the others. At least that’s what I thought I saw a few years back.

4 Likes

Fishing is one of the few ways that I have to decompress and Mrs. Beans knows it. I’m a lucky man.

5 Likes