Anybody else like to fish?

I’ve loved fishing since as far back as I can remember. When I was a kid, during summer break, I’d stay up late catching nightcrawlers to use for bait the next day, then sleep for a couple hours, and then be on my bicycle riding the 5 miles to the lake before the sun came up. I’d be out there from sun up til well after dark. I learned what kinds of fish are active during all hours of the day and I’d target each as the day progressed.

Now I live a literal stones throw away from a world-class Musky lake. More 52"+ size fish come out of this body of water than any other 2 lakes, combined. I have yet to do battle with one myself, but my time is coming. They don’t call Muskies “the fish of 10,000 casts” for no reason. I’ll get there, one day. And when I do, there’ll be lots and lots of pictures taken before it swims away.

Muskies aren’t the only draw to this particular lake. It’s full of crappie, smallmouth bass, lake perch, walleye, and northern pike. I’ve caught some really nice smallies here, a couple last spring during the spawn were over 22". And 36-ish inch pike are super common, 40" size aren’t uncommon, and I usually catch at least one per year that goes over 42". I might try using live bait this summer, if I can figure out the rig to keep that huge minnow on the hooks :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Caught my PB crappie last night. 16.5" and just a hair under 2lbs. I’ve never had a fish mounted, but this one is going on the wall and its got a great story to go with it. My girl ordered me these tungsten micro jigs for christmas and when she got them she was so embarrassed because of how small they were and figured they’d only catch tiny fish. She almost returned them, but ended up pulling this girl out with one tipped with a maggot. When i got it up to the hole the jig ended up popping out of its mouth, but it didnt realize it was unhooked. We both just kind of stared at each other for a second. My brain literally couldnt process how big this crappie was. It was too big to turn its self around so i jumped down and grabbed it real fast and started freaking out. I called my girl losing it and she started freaking out thinking something bad happened. I told her i just landed my pb crappie one of those little jigs she didnt think would catch shit.

12 Likes

Holy Crappie thats a tank! That will get the blood pumping lol
Nice fish @douggyfresh420!

1 Like

@douggyfresh420 awesome catch, great story. Some of our lady friends, wives and daughters don’t know how ‘Special’ they are to us, until they support our fishing efforts…almost as good as buying us Chemdog seeds LOL. Wanna see that mount if you go for it!!!

3 Likes

We all want you to get out there and hook a Musky!!! Then report the co-ordinates to , just US here on the OG fisher thread. We won’t tell anyone LOL. There is a lot of bait rigs online and methods for keeping big minnows lively on them. Good luck.

2 Likes

Last week

view from the hut

13 Likes

I grew up fishing for stocked trout in a local lake and stream and some large mouth bass fishing… havent wet a line in many years. My son got the bug for fly fishing when we were camping on a lake in Maine’s North Woods years ago, got lucky and stumbled upon a hatch of something they call Splake.

The family and i have a house rented on the Yellowstone River this may, it’ll be nice to walk out the back door and try for some nice fly fishing. I’ll update this post… :slight_smile:

Some very nice catches in this thread…

1 Like

Oh, its defiantly going on the wall.

2 Likes

This is one i caught last summer had it stuffed and hung on wall was a 13 Pound Luker Large Mouth Bass i fish every week i live on cedar creek lake in Texas.
MVC-159S MVC-160S

10 Likes

now I love catching a nice size large mouth bass on my spinner with 6lb test berkley trilene line. and a nice roostertail…

This is an old pic, and i probably posted it on here before, but here’s my trophy:

6 Likes

@anonymous4289 !!
Rainbow trout ?//
About 24-26 inches
deff look like a native by the size of that adipose fin!

Whatta beaut!

1 Like

@Rabeats2093

chinook aka ‘king’ salmon.

1 Like

Haha wtf I thought it was a trout …nice caught it off a lake I bet with her being that silver …usually fish Pulaski every year …have hundred pictures of king salmon lmao

This is about the freshest you get from the river for king salmon

Then you get these kings strictly for the smoker lol

Some cohos good meat !

I could post a hell of a lot more for six years of salmon pics :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

@Rabeats2093 WNY? Or Midwest?

1 Like

@LegsMahoney WNY Pulaski ny

4 Likes

get outta here! me and a couple buddies used to make trips out there for steelhead every year through the winter. had to stop after having a kid and COVID jumping off, but i wanna get back there so bad! been too long since ive felt one of those things pull

3 Likes

Yeah man they fight like savages especially steelhead and cohos !!

I have been going up for a good while now and slay em not to much during steely season 2:30 drive for me …one year me and some buddies stayed right across the trestle for 11 weekends

3 Likes

thats unreal, we’re a bit farther out at like 6 hrs i think, but we’d stay at a spot right on the river right on the lower fly zone and just go hard as fuck for a long weekend. god i miss that shit.

2 Likes