Anybody else like to fish?

Buncha hogs bud!

2 Likes

Are those smallies that you’ve been showing? The mouths don’t look large enough for a LM, but they are nice sized. Man… really fat, too.

1 Like

Colorado’s New State Record Brook Trout

“Colorado Parks and Wildlife is excited to announce a new state record Brook Trout has been caught, breaking the longest-standing fish record in the state. The Brook Trout was caught on May 23 by Tim Daniel of Granby in Monarch Lake, in Grand County. Colorado Parks and Wildlife Aquatic Biologist Jon Ewert inspected the fish the day it was caught. It weighed 7.84 pounds, measured 23 1/4 inches in length, and had a girth of 15 3/8 inches.”

Now that’s a Brook Trout! I used to fish some beaver ponds while living in Montana, and it was all fat Brookies. They had a deep pink meat that was caused from eating freshwater shrimp. They were in a high altitude spot near Bozeman.

This old record has held since 1947. There’s still hope in the world to break a record! The link has the small story. peace

:scream_cat: :money_mouth_face:

14 Likes

That is one fat speck!

This guy caught this Brookie in 2006 in Manitoba, and let it go. It likely would have broken the world record of 14.8 lbs caught in Ontario in 1915. 29 inches with a 21 inch girth. Nice to know there’s still big fish out there. Brook or Speckled Trout is one of the most beautiful fish on the planet IMO.

22 Likes

:hushed: Whoa!!! Damn! That picture will beat anything these days. I wasn’t aware of one that big, nice.

4 Likes

Yeah smallies.
My PB is 4lb 1oz. But here on the great lakes they get to 7 or even 8lbs

5 Likes

I thought that its not ‘the new record’ because it was a stocked fish.
Crazy catch either way

5 Likes

It wasn’t weighed officially and released, so no record. Though Manitoba is accepting it as their provincial record. Good on him, IMO, for releasing it.

7 Likes

I need to get on the Smallies. It’s hard to go fishin on the river with a 4 year old. The James River actually has some stellar Smallie fishin. Your killin it up there.

5 Likes

Almost easier when they’re munchkin age right? My daughter is just aging out of the hiking backpack thing, while it’s torture on the shoulders it’s easy to toss em on your back and get after it. Once they start moving around on thier own you really gotta keep your eyes shape that they don’t wind up with either a hook in thier eye or thier whole body floating downstream :joy::joy:

7 Likes

14 Likes

me and @esmereldaspike went here to fish the other day. Literally had fry nibbling a dendrobena all day and no real bites. But also had chicken wings and burgers on a BBQ in 31c/87.8f temps. And a few beers too :beers: so wasn’t a bad day :sunglasses::green_heart:

16 Likes

Yes sir! I love fishing. Grew up with a river running through the bottom edge of my property line. Mainly trout and some bass here and there. Used to go up to Ontario Canada, fishing on upper Beverly lake for bass n pike every August before my grandmother got sick.

6 Likes

That’s a nice hogg right there.

2 Likes

I do or should I say did a lot of river fishing. And a fair bit on canals too for pike and perch.

caught this beauty on a live bait perch. Tucked under an overhanging bush/tree. Probably an 1/8lb live bait on a running ledger. Quiver tip rod.

11 Likes

Slab crappie, 15” long, 1.7 lbs.

17 Likes

PS: released after photo. A little too big to taste the best; I only keep 11” to 14” crappie and then, only a half dozen. Kids moved out and she is vegan, so plenty for me, about 3 meals of great tasting fish.

6 Likes

13 Likes

wtf is that?

4 Likes

It’s a Giant Red Sea Cucumber! I caught it today jigging for rockfish in the Pacific Ocean off the West Coast of Canada

10 Likes