Anybody else like to fish?

Used to do skuba diving and fishing many years ago. Until I feel sorry by the fishes.

The year before covid used to go to the coast and trying to fish /fishing some “lubina” (bass?), “agujas” (needle fish?), “xurel” (trevally fish?), “sargo” (bream fish?), “sepias” and others with the company of my dog. Spinning fishing.
Also fishing from boat “fanecas” (pout?), “caballa” (mackarel?), “calamares” (squids), pulpos (octopus?)…
No pictures taken because many times a wave took over me getting wet from top to bottom, and because theres phones memory and peoples memories… and prefer to see it through my eyes and not by phone cam.
Here we have many kilometers of coast…
After covid, almost two years without fishing now, dog died (16yrs), and without wanting to go fishing for now.

6 Likes

Hmmmmmm… steelhead… I used to live 5 minutes from Vedder crossing in Chilliwack in the 90’s and I truly became a steelhead junkie. I’ve lost girlfriends… jobs… and a contributing factor to the failure of my first marriage… all because of Steelhead… and ocean run cutties. I spent thousands on heli trips up north , stomped around babine country …then i wrecked my pelvis and back and had to slow down. At least I got to see and fish the Gold before the fishery collapse in that special river… Nootka is my stompin grounds for salt water… I was making yearly trips over to the Stamp system and bi annual trips to haida gwaii to hunt deer and fish the yakoun. I won’t list them all but I sold many pounds of weed to fund those trips haha can’t do that anymore.
Funniest thing I saw steelheading was on the Copper. My buddy was waded out at the top of the run with his spey and one of his wooly mittens fell into the river and as it made it’s way buy us , in the tail out there is this big splash and flash and the mitten is gone!! Was a big steelie , taking that mitten off the surface. Couldn’t believe it.
As I sit on my couch in the BC interior, surrounded by killer trout and kokanee fishing… too broke and broken and far from a steelhead river… I would live to see more steelhead pics @Jinglepot . Was gonna try to book a stamp trip this year but the fishery also seems in collapse. Nick at west coast river charters is a friend/aquaintance of mine from when I was working in the tackle industry and part time chartering in Nootka. You kinda look familiar…
tite lines!!

7 Likes

What an awesome story. My dad reminisces about days on the Vedder and fishing the babine. Him and his buddy would leave Coquitlam at 2:30am just go get theor honey holes on the Vedder :laughing: he says he’s amazed my mom stuck with him! I have family that just sold theor lodge outside of Masset in the Charlottes and my dad and I have worked and fished Nooka and tahsis for years! Our neighbor and good family friend owned a lodge off Nooka and now he’s managing a different one.

Every year we do a 2-3 week fly fishing trip to roach lake in June. We used to do a fly fishing road trip and hit as many interior lakes as we could (we’ve come close to hitting them all :laughing::laughing:), now we just set up camp at Roche. I’ll take off and fish horseshoe and bleeker every now and then, but its a convenience thing. We set up our 20x14 wall tent and live the high life.

I just bought some new simms waders today for steelies on the Cowichan River (my back yard, literally) the Cowichan isn’t what it used to be since they shut down the Steelhead hatchery and banned salmon fishing fir white folk, though, still some in there though, we find them :laughing:

Ripping lips

6 Likes

@SHSC-1 @Jinglepot

Sitting here in Central Ontario about 20 minutes away from the best rainbow river in the province…and jealous as hell of you two and where you get to fish!

5 Likes

wish me luck

11 Likes

Good luck…what are you fishing for…besides whatever you catch!

2 Likes

yellow perch and crappie

14 Likes

I love to fish I even have the patience for it the fish don’t love me though

3 Likes

If I give you my address, could you mail that to me? :stuck_out_tongue: :yum:

4 Likes

Well I need new underwear.

as I was sitting in my hut the ice cracked everywhere around me into my holes. Damn that was wild.

12 Likes

I was going to ask about the crack in the last photo. Glad your safe and nothing too bad happened.

1 Like

now this is my kinda thread :grinning: I saltwater fish from surf, piers and boat. Throw alot of heaver surf rods 8 N bait. There’s alot of Cobia and Red Drum over here off the Chesapeake Bay. One of my favorite ways of fishing is jigging for spanish mackerel, the faster you retrieve and jig the more fish youll catch.
Any saltwater anglers out there?

5pound spanish.

50 inch red drum.

58 inch cobia.

21 Likes

That area is where the good fish live. I lived in Va Beach once and then down to Nags and Hatteras Island. So much good fish to eat. People would give you fish, as some just like catching them, and still brought them in to give away. I do miss it in a lot of ways.

5 Likes

How’d you get that Drum onto the pier? Damn…

4 Likes

@GMan We use these really big drop nets to scoop them up. If it’s a big fish we can kill well use a rope gaff that has long prongs that will stick into the fish. Nothing beats a 5 minute bike ride to go fishing, couldn’t imagine leaving here.

7 Likes

One of the good things in Hawaii is no license required except for freshwater & commercial fishing. :partying_face:

The reef fish have some nasty stuff called ciguatera & are risky to eat so some people use kites or inflated garbage bags to get the line out. I haven’t yet figured out how it’s done but my little 9’ rig with 50lb mono will not be up to the job.

It’s so wild to have so many species & not know WTF they are :joy:

Had a yellow snapper with turquoise stripe that was tasty. It’s guts looked like minced carrots :thinking: & totally different from the other few things I tried.

Aloha

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

I bet you were a rockstar for a minute, up on the pier. Nobody went home that night I bet, lol. Not after seeing that drum.

A nice Cowichan River Steelhead, 300y from my back door :call_me_hand:

19 Likes

Nice fish, and a nice spot close by to boot. Nice indeed

3 Likes

Gorgeous fish.

2 Likes