Anybody else like to fish?

I really enjoy perusing fishing threads and reading the stories and seeing the pics… but what I enjoy the most is seeing the smiles on kids faces like those in your pics.
Having been a river guide for salmon and steelhead and running a 22ft charter boat on the BC west coast the trips I enjoyed the most were the father and son trips. Priceless time together is what that is.
Thanx for sharing :wink:

Less than 3 weeks ago i was still ice fishing… now there is no ice to be seen and it is +28C LOL
Happened so fast I haven’t gotten any of my open water gear ready and my boats are all still in storage mode. Picked up a 14ft Springbok… it’s a vintage one from the early 80’s best I can tell. Gonna sell my 12ft harbercraft and swap the yamaha 6hp4stroke over to the 14… Then I have to reassemble and install the leg on my four winns freedom 195 after having the engine completely rebuilt and reinstalled…
I guess I could pump up my float tube and go do some flyishin… that would be the easiest thing but that water is gonna be cold!!! even in neoprene waders LOL

5 Likes

Putting kids on fish is the best!

3 Likes

5yr old GD’s first fish last month :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Your the man!

2 Likes

I’ve been busy catching smallies in one of the best small mouth lakes. Lake Erie. Now the time to get em.

24 Likes

Cowichan River Steelhead, less than a 10 minute walk from my back door. I’ve been fishing this river since I was 8. Steelhead, Rainbows, Cutthroat, Browns, Chinook, Chum amd Coho all run in this river, the trout and Steelhead can be found all year round (summer steelhead are few and far between), the salmon are seasonal.

28 Likes

Damn that’s a nice steely!
Pin bobber set up with eggs ?

3 Likes

Thanks!
Roe is illegal in our river now, that was on a corkie woth pencil lead and a dink float

3 Likes

@Jinglepot Hmm very interesting …legal length here is 1 greater then 22 in
I think I can picture you’re rig setup
Lake Ontario tribs the kings and Cohoe salmon run up the river followed by Steelhead to feed on eggs …then April they have their own run …sounds like what you experience as well

3 Likes

Our river used to have retention for trout, steelhead coho, chum and chinook… but due to the natives unsustainable netting, the populations have dwindled on all species. Everything is catch and release in our river now except for a month long Coho retention of 1 in November. There are lots of other rivers within a couple hours and the pacific ocean is 20 mins away. But it’s a tough pill to swallow seeing the decline of the river

5 Likes

Set up kind of like this, but we dont use split shot, we use pencil lead above the swivel, no weights below the swivel

download.jpeg-90

Pencil lead

Dink float

Corkie
images.jpeg-77

When the river is really coloured we will sometimes use gooey bobs or pink worms

6 Likes

I fish the rivers here in Ontario with the same sort of set up.
Using a long float rod and centerpin reel, usually 6lb test line.
I imagine where you are you use a more robust set up. The rivers and the fish are big in BC.
Im going to guess your using a baitcaster reel and about a 10ft rod.

2 Likes

Yessir, 11’ Trophy XL rod, Okuma centerpin reel, and a G loomis 10.5’ rod with an Islander centerpin reel are my go to’s. As well as a a plethora of 10’ rods with REAL ambassador level wind reels attached. Usually we fish the rivers with 20lb - 30lb line and a 15lb leader

4 Likes

Wow! Thats great you are using centerpins, so much fun.I have an Islander and a couple of Stantons.
Bigger rivers there with strong current means heavier rods and line.

1 Like

Oh yeah, the Cowichan RIPS In the winter high water. The river is closed to all fishing during the summers now as of about 8 years ago to protect the salmon… what salmon get past the nets that is

1 Like

I went on a fishing trip about 3 weeks ago here in Ont. for some open water spring salmon.

8 Likes

Nice! In one of the great lakes?

Here is our river drift boat, the Cowichan Hooker :laughing: and a couple more steelies

Here’s a smaller spring, 30lber is my biggest, made the Tyee club at least, lol

21 Likes

Nice! Beautiful fish and crazy current!
I was fishing in Georgian Bay which is part of Lake Huron.
We did quite well, the fish from that area are safe to eat compared to Lake Ontario.
The legal limit is 5 Chinook salmon per person.

12 Likes

Whoa, haven’t seen limits like that on the west coast in … well ever, lol… it used to be 4 chinooks, now it’s only open for a month retention of 1 if youre area is lucky… our fisheries have failed us and they are making the sport fisherman pay for it.

Nice haul, beauty fish, chomers

3 Likes

That’s too bad about the fishery there. It could be so much better with proper management.
And yes the salmon we got were chrome shiny. The surface temp of the water was 34 degrees F. Perfect eating fish. But we had to battle cold weather freezing temps.

2 Likes