Anyone had to source bulk 18650 batteries before?

Basically I been looking at making an ebike battery. I want to make a 52v battery pack for an ebike conversion to overvolt a 48v motor slightly.
With the space I got in my triangle I reckon I could make a 14s5p 14 in series 5 in parallel battery pack. The 14 in series would give me 51.8v. amperage would be determined by the cells available.

Tried to figure a way to make this a bud related post. So here goes. @Pedro_Bann this could make your trips to the bush easier…there we go achieved it :joy:

Anyways after going out the other day and having a go of the giant trance E and being greatly disappointed at the lack of power available for that kinda money. I said kinda in jest to my mate I could probably build something that would smoke that for a lot less R kid. Even if I don’t build it I still wanna cost it for my own questioning.

So with some of you guys being bang into Vapes. Others computing. Some mountain bikers and many that love a good DIY I thought one of you may know a trusted source for bulk 18650 batteries.

8 Likes

No but I’ve looked a bit at sourcing motors etc.
I tried a what I think was a 250ish watt a couple weeks back and I’d defo want a 1000watter
You can buy the batteries and holders and whole battery kits on the eBay. 48 volts should be ok but a more powerful motor would be key.

3 Likes

I haven’t done it but they are relatively inexpensive on alibaba. Can’t speak to quality though.

Very cool idea.

1 Like

Yeah I’d be wanting a 1000 watter. I’ve seen a few that have pushed 40mph. One or 2 that do 50. (Arse falling out tackle if you hit a penny on thin wheels) I’ve seen the kits too but you know that’s not my style right :joy: I’ve tried a couple 250w ebikes now. They’re all limited to 15.5mph under EU regs :expressionless:

I’ve seen the ones on Alibaba and AliExpress but reading tells me a lot will claim 5000mah cells when really they’re repackaged sub 2000mah cells shrink wrapped. So I wanna do my studying to make sure I find a legit source. Nailing the transpennine trail would be a good laugh I reckon.

2 Likes

That was my concern too. I’ve heard the same thing about cheap batteries for my dewalt. Half stated milliamps.

I was looking at the 18650 but I don’t use very many of them so I decided to go retail, as expensive as that is.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not too fussed about going retail. It’s just the legitimacy of the sellers I’m concerned with at the moment

2 Likes

Dhgate perhaps but much like Alibaba it has sellers of every level from legit to child sweat shop

5 Likes

We do have a vapor store for a sponsor maybe they can give you a deal

@vapeciga

5 Likes

I’ve ordered from this site a dozen times. Shipping can be slow depending on what warehouse its shipped from. Quality, I try to buy the higher rated, not lowest price. Many overrate the capacity.

4 Likes

I’ve looked on DH gate already and unless buying big big numbers the savings aren’t much on eBay prices. If anyone’s gonna know it’s gonna be the vapers lol

2 Likes

Nice call on banggood. I’ve used them before for stepper drivers. And CNC controllers etc. Will do some looking there now

1 Like

Fun project. Here’s another potential.

1 Like

They only offer the bulk service to North America/south America and Mexico I think. Need someone to ship to old blighty

2 Likes

Found a place over here that does LG M29 batteries @£1.67 a piece
70 cells £116.90
2850mah each.
14s5p would give me a 51.8v 14.25ah battery

2 Likes

And on those above grounds with the LG M29 they have a CDR of 10A meaning a 500w motor would be better suited than 1000w. Either that or go and look for higher CDR cells and see if the price stacks up to potential gains in power. Probably not lol

But no they seem to make the motor kits to be powered by higher CDR batteries. So if you’re looking 48v+ you’re looking at 1000w motor kits

1 Like

www.lionwholesale.com is pretty awesome for 18650’s. Great prices and are legit/dont sell rewraps. Another idea you might look into is lipo packs like what’s used in RC cars, smaller packaging and easier charging (kinda) but they come in a variety of sizes and power options.

2 Likes

Hey - I don’t know much about it. But if you go to Facebook and search “diy ebike” you will get your answers from that group. I’m in it and they are very knowledgeable.

Since I got really sick to the point of my doctor taking away my drivers license. I didn’t know what to do. Turns out the owner Eric, of m2s bikes talked with my family somehow. They talked for some time and He ended up showing up by donating this AMAZING Ebike to me. r750 It has a throttle because I can’t peddle due to my lungs.
It’s an adventure on it and as much as I miss doing crazy stunts. I love this ebike.

Please for your safety. Get fat tires like mine. I’m sure you will make yours with 1000watt hub or more. My bike goes 35 mile per hour. And gets around 27 miles before I need to recharge.

I used to ride bmx and it’s depressing when you can’t anymore. ( but I did hit the local course at nighttime in the past) :grin:

But bro - this ebike has made me feel like I’m not bound to asking the wifey to drive me if I wanted to pick up my own meds or go fishing.

Good luck with making your own battery. It’s actually very simple from what I was told. My bike has a prebuilt battery so I’m not messing with what is not broken.

But please fat tires with hydraulic brakes. It gives it so much better traction. (I have tested it out on a bad day that I didn’t care to much about life). Fat tires give you an edge.

17 Likes

That is a sweet looking ride.

3 Likes

That is one sweet looking bike. I am probably gonna have to go for the 1000w motor. And I have got semi fat tyres on but I’m not sure it will take fat tyres on the jamis trail x which is the donor. The idea for this is cheap brother. As cheap as is physically possible lol. Massive hats off to the guys at m2s bikes for that I imagine that is the difference between your freedom and not.

For those that haven’t really crossed paths with you yet won’t know your struggle. Or your sacrifice

^^^^^this guy is the definition of a hero

6 Likes

That looks so frigging fun, and that range is very impressive. 27 miles if you don’t pedal at all??

I know @Jetdro is into these bikes and has a crazy fast/dangerous one lol, maybe he has some battery info…

3 Likes