Anyone had to source bulk 18650 batteries before?

Fast and dangerous…now you’re talking @Jetdro self build or bought bro?

3 Likes

Yep - no peddling at all. Has a throttle and it takes me off. It’s only 750 watts. But it’s a beast. When it’s summer and I’m having a good day. I will take it out on the bike paths near the rivers. It’s so peaceful and the motor is so quiet. Doesn’t sound like it’s even on. I get a lot of looks and compliments.

Thanks @anon58740919 for the kind words. They have a great company and they always check in with me. Kendra is my “official” sponsor for tires. They worked with Eric and sent me over 8 sets, to keep me on the road for a long time. Their tires are great and I’m pretty sure they make tires for your size. They are all terrain. Fun in the snow, rain, sand. I try to give them both a cheap plug, for that they did for me. I love the ebike adventures.

Oh and kryptonite sent me a New York forgettabout it lock. ( they love my Brooklyn accent) lol
Great lock for your bike investment

@Jetdro can I see your self build?

5 Likes

Don’t temp me. Lol. At Fifty9 I sure could use an e-upgrade!

2 Likes

Built my own, own 4 of them.

This is MY BIKE, built on a size L Felt DD10 donor bike.

BBSHD mid drive, running through my 11 speeds. Wheelie 1st 3 gears, 42 MPH top end charge in either of the top 2 gears. I have range of 30-60 miles depending upon speed and pedal assist. I have 9 levels of pedal assist, from 120 watts up to 1600 watts!!! WFO is 1600 watts with the 48’s a bit more and more torque with the 52 volt. Go 52 volt for sure!!!

I have several batteries, the one on in the pic is a 48 V pack. I also have 52 Volt pack in a back pack for serious off road work .

I built the bikes, CANNOT build the batteries. Had them done for me.

Visit Facebook and got to Fast Electric Bikes …EVERYTHING you need is there.

LUNA CYCLE for the motor kits n bits, but batteries can be sourced cheaper than through them.

I have 9,200 miles on this bike, run 10 miles everyday with my dogs, they can keep up if the terrian is rough/bumpy/wet/nasty, or on single track trails, they DUST ME!!! lol

12 Likes

My friend kept telling me what a pussy I was for riding a bicycle…and saying it was fast/fun/dangerous!

I let him ride the mild mannered Rad Rover, you see the outcome. He no longer laughs at my bikes!!

I run the Felt with 26 x 4 inch…26 by 2 inch…and my favorite…29 x 3 inch below

This one also has a motor for it, but not on in this pic, in my “manual trainer”

8 Likes

Top pic is awesome. Pup pic is even better. Heterochromia makes the eyes stand out beautifully.

I’d not really considered mid drive mainly due to cost. The bafang motors go for a fair bit here. I was considering just using a rear hub motor kit. Any reason I shouldn’t? The mid drive does look a lot more subtle.

My donor bike is a jamis trail x 27.5" cos I’m not the shortest guy.

Not a fancy bike but it’s sturdy enough chucked down a hill. Handles nicely on road and rides comfortable.

I’m gonna go have a gander a lot that fb group too cheers for that it’s not somewhere I usually venture too often or for too long. I prefer instructables and YouTube for the most part but you’ve got some serious kit there so it’s gotta be worth a look.

I’m a motorbike guy usually but there’s a lot of places you can’t go on one of them that an ebike would be enough excitement/adrenaline from the ride anyway.

How many faults you come across in those 9200 miles cos that’s a good number imo

Lmao at your mate. Who’s the pussy now with an ice pack to boot :joy:

5 Likes

ZERO issues on any of the 4 bikes. 15K between them!!

Other than breaking stuff when I crash ( I jump) or blowing out tires, NOTHING goes wrong with the motor kits!

Hub motors suck for off road, too heavy, does not use gears, not much low end power at all. They excel in street conditions with huge batteries and high top speeds. Mid drive all the way.

Yup, not cheap. 650 dollars for motor kit, and about 500 for a good battery!!! 1200 bucks and your donor bike you re in .

4 Likes

Have you ever considered using a car alternator as a brushless motor? Look it up. Seems your into electronics and all :grin:
As a motor not a source of energy. I know you asked about batteries.
A friend of mine had an ebike he built but got some guy in China known as the battery man or something like that to tailor make one to his needs.
Also some people use lipos from RC cars sold in hobbyking and such.

2 Likes

Yeah no. I don’t wanna spend that much lol. A rear hub motor kit with wheel. Speed controller. Lcd display and all cabling and nonsense minus a battery over here is like £150-180
Batteries are around the £300 for a cheapie 52v and £400 for a decent amperage. Cost so far from what I can see is gonna be a Max £200 spend to make a 52v battery myself. Bit more confident now i found a UK supplier for 18650s

2 Likes

I haven’t although there’s no reason it wouldn’t work. To the YouTube. I do enjoy electronics fuckery tbf :joy:

I’ve researched the hell out of ebikes. You’re best bet is buying an assembled bike on AliExpress. You can find bafang mid drive m600/m620 for 1200-3000. All depending on what bells and whistles you’re looking for. If you’ve already got a good bike on hand you can save some with just a kit. The fact pre assembled bikes look so much cleaner bc the wires go through the frame is worth it imo. Building your own battery actually costs more any way you slice it from everything I’ve researched.

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=brushless+motor+out+of+car+alternator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-m

There’s ways and means to not need to buy spot welders etc to make a battery from what I’m seeing.
Cells
BMS
Shrinkwrap
Pure nickel strip
Solder
And a method to house it on the bike seems to be the long and short of it.

I’m not too fussed about cleaner. And euro regulations mean all ebikes no matter how fantastic are limited to 15.5mph. it’s the donor bike above I plan on using. Mainly for road riding but occasionally trail riding. (nothing hectic Google the transpennine trail) occasionally down little slopes and jumps too. But I won’t be doing 40mph down them :joy:

Definitely going to do some more looking at mid drive motors though a full rear hub kit comes in at like a quarter the price of a mid drive motors alone. I could probably buy a kit and battery for rear hub for less than a motor from what I seen so far

Forsure hub is a lot cheaper. If you’re not worried about still pumping some on hills then they’re awesome. I’ve got some big hills whichever way I go so I’m hell bent on mid drive exp bc I’m lazy. Still with a battery it’d be hard to beat this.
https://m.alibaba.com/amp/product/62276369211.html

1 Like

I’m still young ish and although we got some hills the amount of times I go in those kinda directions on pedal bike is minimal. There’s a few hills and I don’t mind assisting. There’s a few on there that come in around the £180 mark for the battery but not sure what shipping and duties would then set me back. Feasible option though

1 Like

Ya uk is crazy with their tariff. I usto read and knew more about it a couple yrs back. Back when I was a extream vape hobbiest. Been a while since so can’t remember the ways around it.

1 Like

Don’t deal with the US and China until we leave the EU is the way to deal with it. There’s a few tricks to keep tariffs down but both parties have to be of a willing and unselfish nature if ya feel me bro :joy:

1 Like

Ya every time I’ve ordered from China every company has been willing to fudge #'s. In my experience don’t use fedex (if that’s a thing there). They’ll fuck you regardless what the paper work says.

1 Like

Yeah China maybe but not the US for me. And unfortunately it’s parcel force that handle imported goods here and they stick fees on too. Shit system as it stands but it’s all courtesy of those people in Brussels I love every so dearly :expressionless:

1 Like

A conversion is something ive been considering but for another project… Was contemplating a hub motor, but havent done any research or very little on what are currently better, but a modified “mount” bottom bracket motor would probably be more ideal as it makes upgrades easier down the road instead of re lacing/build a wheel…

What are some good brands motor wise for the diy route

the project in question, needs a full rebuild though

7 Likes