Anyone have diabetes?

I was diagnosed with type 2 about a year and a half ago. I keep it under control with Metformin and diet. I greatly benefitted from a visit with a nutritionist and recommend you consider one. Carbs are everywhere!

I had shitty eating habits and took the diagnosis as a wake up call. After starting to eat more appropriately I dropped 30 lbs fairly quickly, though a chunk of it found it’s way back during quarantine… I’m more active now that I’m vaccinated.

You need to see a doc right away!

2 Likes

Sugar got you in this mess, keto and exercise can probably get you out.

Meat, fats, and non-carbohydrate leafy vegetables. Take a multivitamin and walk everywhere. Lots of water and unsweetened tea. Avoid even sugar substitutes.

Plenty of info out there. I do it whenever my clothes get a little tight. It’s rough for a couple days but it evens out quickly and after a week or so you don’t even really get hungry.

5 Likes

@BarefootAndBlazed I actually lost weight during the lockdown and saved money. I ama sped teacher and am always stressed and get to the point I’m sleeping less and less and stopping for junk food to keep me awake and functioning.
@vernal I am avid gardener and have spinach lettuce swiss chard broccoli brussel sprouts collards cabbage and kale in my garden
Along with lots of other goodies…
I already take a multivitamin and have a good friend on keto…sounds like I’m in a good spot to reform myself this summer

3 Likes

You’re well past early diabetes. Go to a DR. You will get your bubble busted when they tell you how much and what you can eat. Also they will give you Metformin, which is not too invasive of a drug.
Been there, doing that

2 Likes

@avr1 oh well. I’m not allowed any thing with wheat or milk now. I’m allergic to iodine so no seafood. Sounds like the list is gonna get even smaller unless something else weird is a cause.

Best to see a doc first for a diagnosis, and then treat yourself as you see fit.

The fastest way pun intended is fasting. You need to avoid fruit juice its fructose not much different to High fructose corn syrup which is virtually in all processed foods as a cheap sweetener, all 0 calorie sweetener will create an insulin response, you body doesn’t deal with that well. Alcohol as well as its poison for your liver.

Complex carbs are better but not much you get about another 20 minutes of digestion before its converted to glucose. I am atm reducing my carbs and doing intermittent fasting, I only eat 2 meals a day between 5pm and 7 pm. Improves insulin sensitivity, allows your body to repair it self as up to 80% of the energy you use is digesting food. Also when you eat all your calories in a short space of time you only have to produce insulin once to move the glucose into your cells if you are not burning them up.

Once you got a diagnosis and if its insulin resistance check out this Doctor on Youtube, he has all the info you will need to do naturally through diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BloJpvdFXI

3 Likes

The bad news is sugar is an addiction. It affects the same pleasure centers in the brain as heroin does. There’s a reason fast food places put sugar in EVERYTHING!. It makes you come back for another fix.

Good news is once you commit yourself to doing something about it, the cravings get way less after about a week of cutting back on sugar.

Go see your doctor. Diabetes is nothing to play around with.

3 Likes

Dr. Eckberg’s videos are a fantastic resource.

2 Likes

Yeah he makes things easy to understand and gives a huge amount of info and different ways to do things, being a vegetarian its hard to avoid carbs, but he gave me loads of different helpful options. I have revised my diet completely, got my insulin sensitivity right down.

Blood Pressure has dropped so much I stopped taking my BP meds, the only pharmaceutical I was taking. I just took my BP about 40 minutes ago after 2 hours pushing a lawn mower around the garden. Sat down for 15 minutes as my neck was painful and then did my BP 102/64 with my heart rate at 68. might even be to low, sometimes at night now, after doing my Wim Hoff breathing technique it drops to mid 90’s over low 50’s with a pulse of low 50’s.

@Shadey what do you do about the thirst? I found some strains make me more cotton mouth and some less. I try to load up on water but that only helps so much and I wind up waking up at midnight or one with a mouth full of sand. Drinking more water guarantee I won’t sleep

1 Like

The best most healthy drink is filtered water with a splash of Lemon juice, or juicing vegetables with low or 0 carbs, it activates the liver does not produce an insulin response. I drink a lot in the evenings probably 3 liters, sipping it as I smoke. I get bad cotton mouth as well, but I am finding now as my insulin resistance is getting better its not so bad…
Insulin resistance causes thirst and a lot of peeing.

1 Like

I just remembered what I was doing when I had some periodontal work done, and it caused me a lot of problems with my mouth getting so dry, from all the RSO oil I was using for the pain, my tongue would stick to the roof of my mouth, and in the morning when my tongue released the suction would cause the stitches to tear. So I put coconut oil in my mouth at bed time, that helped a lot.

1 Like

@Shadey I have some of the coconut oil! Thanks!

1 Like

@EugeneDebs420 thanks for the advice and your service I got the one you suggested from Walmart after checking prices!
Holy Cow it’s expensive to be a diabetic!

4 Likes

Don’t buy anything else until you see a Dr. Metformin and a diet change with exercise works for most folks

1 Like

So you are a fellow southerner. Sweet Tea is hard to kick bro.

I hunted hard in Kali years ago for sweat tea (had not been home in a couple weeks) and found some in Fontana , ask the lady how and why they had it and she said they were from Mississippi. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes it can be hard to find! But I’m liking the not sweet too.
I refuse to call it unsweetened because it was never sweet to begin with!

Luzianne and a shit ton of sugar, so cold it’s probably below freezing but too much sugar dissolved to actually freeze, is about my favorite thing on the planet.

But, I can drink it by the quart rapidly so I just almost never make it anymore unless I’m stupendously high, so now I just make unsweet and do without. Eat a 1000 calories of steak and you’re full all day, drink 1000 calories of sugar water and you’re hungry in 45 minutes.

Jasmine tea or lemon tea is nice too, tastes like it’s sorta sweet but isn’t lol.

2 Likes

You got this man. Sending you positive vibes and energy towards your healthy lifestyle change and overcoming your issues!

1 Like

Well my a1c levels were good, vitamin d and copper all good. I’m gonna continue with my lifestyle changes anyway. I want to get these extra pounds off this year. I plan on outliveing my ex wife

4 Likes