Anyone heard of fighting budrot with Alkaline water

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this process

2 Likes

I don’t know about fighting botrytis, but maybe as a prevention it could help. I always remove it and get it as far away from the plant as I can. Never had it indoor, but outdoor it can be a bitch. Sometimes you can see some small signs on the bud that give you a clue to what’s happening inside. Other times, it just comes out of nowhere and before you know it, it’s too late…

5 Likes

That’s really what I was meaning I read somewhere that you can spray buds that have been rained in with it to stop it before it starts

1 Like

My wife drinks this

2 Likes

I’ve read someplace you can mix baking soda with water to help as a prevention. Basically the same idea. If the ph on the leaf surface is to high botrytis can not grow in those conditions. Just not sure what this does to the smoke though.

I don’t know if the benefits would outweigh the risks. My preference is not to spray the buds at all, but if you’re prone to it every year then I can see how it may help.

Makes me wonder :thinking: if you were to spray a natural fungicide like propolis in early flower, would it offer some protection from budrot and be able to be cleaned off by the rain or in a bud wash at harvest? Could be a viable option, if you were considering any additions or alternatives.

I have done this with PM not botrytis.

I’ve used baking soda to raise pH
I’ve used pH up to raise pH

(I’ve done bleach too but that’s not your question :+1:)

Like most home remedies it buys you a few days but that’s it.

Bud rot, I just vigorously cut my losses.

All the best.

7 Likes

It is my understanding Botrytis is systemic. So spraying with alkaline water will not help imo.

5 Likes

All that fungus(except oomycetes[oo oo my seats]) can be nuked from orbit with sulfur, but never spray in bloom. The key is to wipe it out in early days, before it infests. Bud rot is really grey mold and it can mold up nearly any plant in existance if the conditions are right and the pathogen exists. It’s harder to eliminate due to the multitudes of hosts.

2 Likes

Lol, my tap produces that naturally

No RO anywhere.

7.5 360 ppm out the tap. Sitting on one of the largest underground aquafiers in the country. Yo if a plants got mold bag and tag it.

2 Likes

So does mine but the ppm is only 34 so I add Epsom salts to bring it up to 200ppm

2 Likes

9.2 ph tap water is way above what most municipalities will allow. Im assuming you guys are on private wells.

I read that my water is deliberately set to 7.0 so it doesn’t corrode the pipes.

1 Like

I would think the last think you would want to do with bud rot is spraying with any type of water. Moisture is your enemy at this point but I’m just trying to think logically here. Bud rot is a fungus and fungus will spread with more moisture… no?

Anyway I also just cut it out of the buds very carefully! Trying not to spread any of the dust or spores that come from moving it around. I’ve only ever dealt with this on my outdoor plants and cut it out while harvesting so I’m sure this would be more difficult with plants that have a few weeks to go.

2 Likes

Plastic or copper pipes

City water, we have the cleanest water in the Northeast United States. Honestly though, I love my high PH water, makes it easy to add nutes and not have to PH up as much.

copper from main to house (redid in the last 3 years [brand new]) the rest of the house is PEX Pipe and brass fittings. (3 years old too)

1 Like

I think the mains are cast iron.

Some of the older pipes have lead. The newer ones are copper.

There is a plan to change all the lead ones but who knows when that will happen.

1 Like

Thing about budrot and mildew. They are opportunistic. Make a mistake and they gonna get ya. You can take a lump culling one. Or run risk of culling them all runing indoors.

2 Likes

Me I bin sick plants not going to put my health at risk over some mold or bud rott
You can always grow new plants you can’t grow new lungs :joy:

4 Likes