Anyone make their own ejuice?

Sorry about the shoulder dude.

That hurts lots.

1 Like

I had one of those! Now thatā€™s oleskool!
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Depends on the bud and how long i soak or how many times, typically 10-20% though, but usually leaning around 12-15%, but thatā€™s from cure level bud thats around 62% humidity ā€œBoveda packā€.

But lately when im doing an extraction i now dry my bud as dry as it can get ambient wise so its ā€œfrangibleā€ or brittle and is easily broken up by hand. Comparison wise having super dry bud and weighing at that point vs your end yield it skews the end result so thatā€™s why i like to use the cure level bud as a standard metric as its more comparable.

Typically i turn all my old bud, or less desired stuff into extract, but thats pretty much all i consume at the moment, mainly due to the convenience and is easier on the lungs.

I should mention i do use methanol from my foreshots from my alcohol distillation every now and then, its a harsher solvent compared to ethanol so i need less exposure time with it ā€œ30secsā€ compared to ethanol where im more in the ā€œ1.5-3minā€ range.

2 Likes

Great stuff @Mr.Sparkle. I am anxious to get on this after my current grow harvest. Iā€™m an old hippie with COPD from 40+ years of cigarettes and Mexican Shwag. This is a skill I need to learn. Thanks!
Quit the cigs 10 years ago. Vape now.

1 Like

Itā€™s a big difference with going to just concentrates. Im glad that i tried ventured down that route compared to joints and even the portable flower vapes of just a few years back. For me itā€™s the convenience of just one or two good draws and then im good for my consumption level. Sure i may cough once or twice but its nothing like a J or a bong in comparison, So much easier on the lungs.

Maintenance and use is more or less the same instead of rolling and grinding, im just cleaning coils/donuts. With the right setups size isnā€™t that bad either for out and about use.

But currently i wouldnā€™t mind even smaller more convenient options such as distillate carts and smaller batteries for on the go/sport use which is why currently looking into making my own distillates and those types of setups.

4 Likes

You are right on this @Mr.Sparkle. iā€™m so stoked to find such an informed ally to learn from. Pipe load to our health!

1 Like

I processed 58.5 grams of my Blonde and 64.35 grams of my Purple and 4 grams kief from flowers. Approximately 126 grams in all and generated 16.6 grams of concentrate.

I actually got more because I ran 10 grams kief from leaf material but I havenā€™t weighted that. I left extra alcohol in with that oil because I will use that to make butter and I want it to be easy to handle. The alcohol with evaporate very quickly. And no plant matter in the butter this time. :smiley: :tada:

The taste between the rosin and this concentrate is nearly identical to my taste buds. They handle very differently with the Rosin getting very hard when frozen and this concentrate just gets very thick but stays soft.

I used 3.5 grams with 3.5 grams of PEG400 too make ejuice. It seemed to fully mix in very quickly. My son said he was really looking forward to a potent ejuice for the stealth of it.

@99PerCent: Thanks man. I just made 3 more concentrate runs yesterday to take my mind off of it. I find if I vape concentrate I forget about the pain for a while. :pill: My kid found the Yocan hive he bought about 4-5 months ago when I first started making ejuice. He had stopped using it because it was worthless for ejuice. Now there are 2 concentrate ecigs in the house, no more sharing. :thumbsup: :yum:

@oleskool830, I searched eBay and then the internet for a simple glass oil pipe like the old days. Canā€™t find one. There is, however, a plethora of glass water pipes for oil.

Half of the bud this time was very dry. I have no choice in the winter months, the ambient humidity is very low. The remaining half were not to the point of drying out. I cut those plants about 5 days before getting the dry ice, just for this project.

I only started doing ejuices and finding good ways to extract because my sonā€™s fiance asked me last year if I knew how to make ā€œweed for her vape penā€. I still like the smoking experience, but I canā€™t deny that the concentrate is an excellent high. I never knew my weed could get me that high. :dizzy_face:

Do you take any extra steps to be sure the methanol is completely gone?

Search eBay. They have a crazy large selection of oil and wax setups. Many of them, the ā€œbuy it now priceā€ is much lower than the websites for these items.

3 Likes

Methanol has a lower boiling point than ethanol, so its easier to get rid of which typically just evaporates off anyways, but a little added heat would help things.

But im not worried with the minuscule amount of methanol that could be left. As a single beer or glass of wine for that matter will have many many times more methanol in it just through the normal fermentation process that produces alcohol, plus i would have to consume enough oil to get an elephant high to get anywhere near the level of methanol in a glass of wine, which if some didnā€™t know is due to the pectin content of the grapes and also why wine can give nasty hangovers.

I already have a Yocan Hive 2.0 which has a concentrate coil and an ejuice coil, but ive ordered in some stick batteries like the one below which are similar to the bubbleman trinity batteries and have three settings. I also ordered some ccell carts and a few others to try.

ā€œnot my photoā€, come from the Fcombustion site user invertedisdead

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GVjN1ogO.jpg

Also have tried ordering in a ccell palm and some authentic ccell carts through Apex Labā€™s but they are shitting the bed as far as customer service goes. Ordered a couple weeks ago and they still have my order labeled as ā€œprocessingā€ with no shipping notice or anything and havenā€™t responded to emails yet, so im probably gonna have to dispute my paypal payment this week if they still havenā€™t gotten back to me.

Not too impressed by them currently.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s320x320/sh0.08/e35/25038000_199732400585130_5083368565348761600_n.jpg

But iā€™ve heard word that their may be some newer smaller battery setups coming out in the next couple of months anyways, so it will be interesting to see what comes out.

1 Like

Beware the Chinese knock-offs.

1 Like

oh i know all too well about the knock offs and definitely do my research first

2 Likes

The comment came back to you, but was directed at @Cobra50. Didnā€™t expect that.

2 Likes

@99PerCent: I hear that. I will buy Chinese if I have looked into it first, you can save big $ that way, but Iā€™ll send back a knock-off that I wasnā€™t informed about out of principal, every time. I have on several occasions purchased the inexpensive Chinese made version of something I like, to evaluate whether I like the concept, and then turned around and bought the more costly original. The more costly products generally take more care in the little details, like deburring sharp edges.

I made a successful ejuice yesterday.3.5 grams of concentrate, 3.5 grams of PEG400. My son has vaped weed ejuice from a dealer friend of his. He said it was a little thin. I added 2 more grams of concentrate. It is right on the edge of too thick. I waited until I was up for 3 hours to use anything. Then I just hit the vape. It was somewhat stronger than smoking it. Hard to say as Iā€™ve somehow ended up with a cold and I am so congested that I couldnā€™t smell the Everclear earlier when I checked how much I recovered. I thought it mustā€™ve gotten watered down so I ran it through the still again setting the temp for 85Ā°C. The still ran dry. There wasnā€™t any water in it.

Good to know

Also good to know.

I stopped by the local vape shop today and asked about a Hive 2.0. They were out (in next week). I asked about the price, he said $23. I mentioned that the Yocan website wanted $65. He told me that is not uncommon. Iā€™d have ordered it from Yocan website and thought I was getting a good deal, when I was just screwing myself (not as fun as it sounds :wink:).

2 Likes

yeah Yocan does that so retailers can charge whatever they like, but a lot of places like Fasttech you can pick up their stuff closer to actual wholesale cost.

1 Like

If you are willing to wait for it. I used to call them slowtech :grin:

1 Like

totally agree for anything you canā€™t get shipped epacket which can still take forever, im use to ordering parts from china on the slow boat with ebay goods.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve learned a few things in the last day or 2:

If I want to distill the alcohol from a small container, in my still, make sure that container has a flat bottom and the bottom is thin. A beaker works great, a baking dish, not. Iā€™m sure @Mr.Sparkle was aware of that, but maybe someone else will learn from my mistake.

I think I made my ejuice a little thick. The adjustment I made is so thick, I press the button 1-2 seconds before pulling a hit. I think the 1:1 ratio of concentrate to PEG 400 is probably right where it should be.

After I had let them sit on an old heating pad for several hours, I put one of my 3 pyrex bowls containing concentrate, directly on the lowest flame my stove could maintain. The flame was barely visible. In just a second, it started to boil slowly, but built up to a rapid boil. I kept an eye on the temps with my infrared thermometer, the temp went above 155Ā°F. The boiling stopped rather abruptly and I removed it from the heat. I spent the rest of the day comparing hits from that bowl and the others. I didnā€™t notice any change in effect between them, but I did notice the concentrate I boiled the alcohol off from has a slightly mellower taste. :thinking:

And, I also learned, donā€™t do concentrate all day long and expect to wake up straight the next day. :dizzy_face:

Edit:
I also learned that alcohol washing kief is very fast and easy.

5 Likes

" Those who smoked cigarettes and used e-cigarettes had urine samples that indicated a higher presence of benzene, ethylene oxide, acrylonitrile, acrolein and acrylamide (all associated with higher risks of cancer). Levels were three times as high as those who used just e-cigarettes.

In turn, the ā€œe-cigarette onlyā€ group had three times more evidence of the presence of acrylonitrile, acrolein, propylene oxide, acrylamide, and crotonaldehyde as non-users. Those chemicals, as well, are associated with a higher cancer risk.

The researchers write, ā€œThe presence of harmful ingredients in e-cigarette vapor has been established; we can now say that these chemicals are found in the body of human adolescents who use these products.ā€

3 Likes

Apparently, the ā€œflavorā€ of the e-cigarette cartridge matters. Among e-cigarette-users, the levels of acrylonitrile were higher in those who preferred fruit flavors ā€“ compared to candy, tobacco or menthol flavors.

This is significant because 55 percent of e-cigarette users ā€“ and 67 percent of those who smoked and used e-cigs ā€“ preferred fruit flavors.

The artificial flavoring seems to be the problem.

1 Like

Yeah, the flavorings look pretty bad, butā€¦

maybe there is a chemist in the crowd?

When one burns something, it is oxidized, no?

Propylene Glycol + Fire = propylene oxide + other byproducts, no???

I think this is the argument for PEG 400 versus propylene glycol. PEG vaporizes and does not burn.

99%

This web site does not support the above theory, but does not give much comfort.

Not looking goodā€¦

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Propylene_oxide#section=Top

@ReikoX: I am in the middle of a bubble hash run. When you press yours, do you do anything to contain the hash to keep it separate from the goo? How tightly do you pre-press (if at all). I had too many leaves still sitting around and thought Iā€™d give this a try. :nerd:

1 Like