Anyone make their own ejuice?

@legalcanada, are you still just vaping regular ejuice or are you talking cannabis ejuice? I only vape the latter. What is the advantage of vaping at such a high setting? @Jellypowered mentioned something about better flavor. Not vaping regular ejuice, I really wouldn’t know. I would think the coils would burn it a little at that temp.

Awesome tank, btw Looks like it could vape some pretty thick stuff, like distillate. Probably straight up, but mix it 2:1 with the peg being the 1, those coils would probably generate enough heat to keep the solution soft enough to flow through the wick. This is just a guess. I really know very little about vaping, but I can get 1:1 mix to flow pretty easily in my SuperTank mini and it has a cartridge coil nowhere as large as the one in your tank.

Although, like I said above, I’d much rather just abuse, er, um, I mean vape, the concentrates. No mixing. My Evolve+ has a pretty large bowl area and I put in enough to last me up to 8 hours in it at once. While coils are making vapor, warming the entire bowl, softening it enough for the vapor to rise to the top.

Cheers. :peace:

Edit:typos

yes i just have nicotine juice at the moment. the higher wattage allows for a thicker cloud w/ shorter draw. if i have any flowers left over by the time i cure my next harvest it’ll pretty much all go towards concentrates and edibles along with the trim.

all my coworkers used to put shatter directly on their coils but i think it was a different type of tank or coil. it seemed like a huge mess and also kinda wasteful or inefficient. but it was definitely nice being able to have a blast inside walmart or restaurant or wherever we were at the time.

2 Likes

Still rocking my Hurculese Oil Cartridge fellas :grin: I’ve used it daily for about a year and a half now. I had to replace a $20 in parts, but still the same ceramic heating element and titanium donut. Best $120 I ever spent. :+1::seedling:

I may end up giving the bubble pen a second go for travel next week.

3 Likes

@legalcanada, it only seems wasteful. But, everything that makes it into the “bowl” gets vaped. If you get a little plant matter in your concentrate it’ll leave ashes in the bowl, otherwise, you get full melt. It is very gooey and hard to work with. It does like to lay a string of concentrate on the threads. I wipe that off with a piece of parchment paper, then use alcohol to recover the what I wiped off.

@ReikoX, I have no doubt this is an excellent cartridge, but for me, that kind of cash is best saved for LED lighting. I have put that on my wish list. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @Mr.Sparkle. I’m doing my second run of distillate tomorrow. I’m going to try your QWET method. I have 26 grams of the shake from the bottom of my 1 gal stash jars to play with. It never gets used up because the buds are all at the top, so this shake is all smoking weed and it has been cured for a long time and dry. Not crackly dry, but smoking dry. I am not grinding it since it is all small particles to start with.

How many times do you run the same plant material? Are you getting shatter quality concentrate from your first run like the videos claim?

If you looked at my rosin press thread, you’ll see I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting by doing only one press for each quantity of material. I’ve got 74.5 grams of pressed “cookies” that I am going to try to extract from with Everclear as well. I ground it up because the gooey stuff was baked onto and into the “cookies” during pressing and it seemed like the only way to get to it all. I know there is more resin in them and I am hoping for a good outcome. I’m not going to QWET this stuff though. I think all the water solubles have likely evaporated from the pressing.

1 Like

I run material twice, first i do a quick wash which typically produces more of taffy like consistency to rock hard depending, but that also has to do with dissolved plant fats and if you let them settle out in the freezer after extraction. After the first wash of material i come back and do a second which may sit a bit longer, and flush my material with a little bit of fresh alcohol after pressing out what i could previously. Im just going use all my seconds for distillate making/trials which i will get around to eventually.

3 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle, do you freeze the material again before a 2nd wash?

1 Like

no i don’t as the alcohol lowers the freezing point of water so you won’t be refreezing it with our normal household freezers.

1 Like

@Mr.Sparkle, thank you for your advice. I’ve had it all in the freezer for nearly 24 hours and will be starting soon. I’ll let you know how I did. :smiley::thumbsup:

1 Like

@Mr.Sparkle, I’ve finished distilling the 1st run. It takes a lot longer to distill in a beaker inside the still, but cleaning the distillate out of the still pot is a pain.

This is my 1st run. I poured in the icy cold Everclear into a mason jar with my frozen weed in it and swished it around very lightly for a minute. I banded a 8" sq 25 micron pressing screen on to the jar and poured the clear amber liquid into a 500ml beaker. I amounted to 400ml.

After running it, I turned the temp of the still down to 90°C and let it sit in the open still to evaporate off the remaining alcohol.

I ended up with the bottom of the beaker covered with a thick, stable coating.

I didn’t think to weigh the beaker empty, so i need to wait until I remove it from the beaker to weigh it. This is a very clean operation. I got no bits in it. I am amazed it extracted that much from such a short, non violent rinsing! I obviously let it go for too long when I did the dry ice alcohol extraction.

I washed the material again, actually shaking it this time. I took only 2 minutes on this pass and it looks very clean too at this point. Interested to see how much yield from this pass.

Edit: I had forgotten to upload the last photo

2 Likes

so you’re just using the still as a hotplate pretty much? this is just hash oil tho right not actual distillate?

is this ‘winterization’? i’ve often heard that term and have never looked it up

@legalcanada yes, winterization is just causing your fats and other undesirables to fall out of solution. i strain it through a coffee filter after that.

@Cobra50 the trick i use if i want the extract quick is to use silicone soap molds and throw them in a pan on a stove or whatever, just making sure to have plenty of airflow “range hood on”, its nothing like butane, but its still easily flammable if the concentration is high enough and you have a spark close enough.

But before it gets down to completely boiled off i just turn off the heat and leave it in the pan for the next 30mins or so, if done right the left over heat will still boil off the rest and not over heat your oil which boes more brownish red when you do, but it will leave behind a tacky flexible taffy like concentrate.
Typically though i just leave it out on the counter to evaporate off by its self over a couple days, using those same silicone soap molds, i also use methanol or methanol/ethanol mixed “heads from distilling” which evaporates a bit faster but all are just acting as a solvent that we are extracting with then getting rid of.

Next time i make some “Taffy” i’ll post the process in my thread and tag you in and drop a link here for others, as not really ejuice mix related.

1 Like

@legalcanada:
Only for about 30 minutes at the end. I was using a beaker inside the still with the top part on. The beaker is basically a liner for the still, the alcohol evaporates, leaving my treasure in the beaker, not all over the inside of the still. The still not only removes the alcohol, but it gives back most of it. The reason I left the top off at the end is there was hardly any alcohol left it the beaker. When the top is on. I’m working blind. I can watch how much alcohol has returned to know when I am close, but at the end I want to stop as soon as the alcohol is gone, when the distillate no longer moves in the beaker when I move it. I want to stop before the heat ends up effecting my end product.

If I just wanted a hotplate, I recently bought one with a magnetic stirrer builtin.

Maybe I am not understanding this correctly. I thought when you use a solvent to extract the goodies, you always must boil off the solvent. In my mind, that is distilling, whether you are collecting the liquid distilled off or not. I also assumed that the end result is distillate and that hash oil is distillate. If I am wrong, then I can’t answer that question, because I don’t know the difference between distillate and hash oil.

@Mr.Sparkle, I wasn’t complaining that it took so long, afterall I want to recover as much alcohol as possible, Everclear is expensive. I only mentioned it to explain why I was just finishing up.

I’ll look forward to it.

I am still distilling the 2nd extraction. I started by using to 250ml beakers because I had almost 500ml and they both fit in the still pot. My 500ml beaker is in the freezer at the moment. I am hoping it will come off the glass easier that way. I used the 2 beakers until they were both below 125ml, then strained each beaker, because there was some powdery looking stuff at the bottom, and left it all in a single 250ml beaker to finish.

I just took the 1st run out of the freezer. This stuff is crystal clear. Very nice. I like this QWET method. I just removed the saran wrap I covered it with. I smells heavenly! I’m going to leave it out for a while, it is still very soft, almost as soft as honey, so it must still have alcohol inside it.

Edit: typo

the distillate you would buy at a dispensary has gone through an extra process to remove all the unwanted stuff from it leaving very purified cannabis oil, requires some specialized equipment. i think its generally 90-95% THC and ~99% cannibinoids. i think it can be vaped on its own, or maybe they add terps, idk ive never had it

edit: they use fractional and short-path distillation, what they use in the fragrance and essential oil industries

3 Likes

Ejuice related ive been playing with these supposed 380mah stick batteries with knock off .5ml ccells. Seeings how im not running pure distillate yet, been trying different concentrations of my “taffy” extracts mixed with PG and heated in the microwave for 10-20 secs then shaking and repeating as needed till its mixed. At a 1:1 ratio was noticing you definitely had to pre heat the coil first and then it didn’t draw very well due to the thicker consistency anyways, but 1:2 extract to PG had a lot easier draw and you dont get the ring of death from the heated/burnt extract coming back from the coil. Also can run at a lower voltage.
Just have to puff twice as much which isn’t bad for light consumer like myself 3-6 puffs im lightly to medium dosed

But the batteries i think are just weak lesser quality cheap units, as hits are definitely denser when on a mod box “eleaf istick nano” in my case, but i’ll be exploring some of the other smaller batteries that can take wider cartridges, leaning towards some smallish Variable voltage stick batteries or direct ones.

Did have an order placed for some legit CCell carts and a “palm” battery and was looking forward to trying it but the place i ordered from apex labs, i think were just not shipping orders as they ran out of stock and weren’t saying anything about it. I had no shipping notices two weeks later for stuff still listed as “in stock” or recently out of stock, and no explanation to inquires till i had to file a dispute a week later then i finally got a response and refund, all because of supposed international shipping issues. Will have to try again potentially, but may have some Amigo liberty V9 carts possibly on the way to try out as well.

1 Like

@legalcanada Yes distillate in that form is the next step.

Technically @Cobra50 the quick wash method were just making a concentrate, as the ethanol that your boiling off and re condensing would be considered the distillate technically not the left over concentrate in your vessel as that never got turned to vapor and re condensed and just remained in liquid form.

THC/CBD/Terpene distillate is that next step, done under vacuum with short path distillation to turn our goodies thc:cbd and terpenes into vapor and then re condensing into liquid afterwards as a Distillate, thus the name. but this further removes the goodies from waxes and oils that come with most any solvent extraction. As solvent extraction takes a a lot of other things as well thay we may not want or need such as plant fats.

3 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle, @legalcanada, Thanks guys, that makes sense. I’ve been using distillate when I really mean hash oil.

1 Like

i think distillate would be awesome for making an e-juice with because it’s so concentrated, 95%+ THC and it’d probably dissolve well in PG or even just add a couple drops of terps or wax liquidizer and turn it in to a juice to vape. that’d get ya real stoned. i’d probably just eat it in caps tho cause its already decarbed

4 Likes

has anyone ever tried mixing 99% pure CBD isolate in with e-juice? i know they sell CBD e-juices but it’d be much more efficient to purchase pure isolate and you’d also have greater control of dosages then as well. do you think the powder would dissolve OK?

1 Like

With a little low heat it sure should mix just fine. It’s actually a nice idea. Terpenes + CBD Isolate pens. Shit could probably use a real tank economically… :thinking:

1 Like