Anyone make their own ejuice?

Something i was recently reading https://skunkpharmresearch.com/glycerin-extraction/

Looking at giving it a go just to see, then progressing into using a ultrasonic cleaner for quicker turn over time which seems to be whats happening as of late for quick production.

Only reason why i’ve been looking into the e-juice, and cart use, is for another alternative to a J and lighter when outdoors in winter in the snow, as i prefer the concentrates at home using a wax atty on a mod box “yocan cerum on an eleaf istick nano” which works pretty good.

But if i can effectively make an ejuice concentrate it allows me to try and consider the small cart systems for things like a 10cig, yocan hive or other small disposable-esc systems, even though im against disposables for the obvious reasons, and prefer straight concentrates at the moment it could be a handy option for on the go refill cart swaps when needed “which is never for me” but still interesting.

Is this Glycerine process recommended with a vape? The temp at which it vapes is high (351 F) and I don’t know what the byproducts are. Did you see the posts above regarding PEG 400. I would recommend this unless you know more about this process than I could find skimming the article.

the juice i tried to use was 50% glycerin (probably vegetable glycerin) and 50% PG and it did not dissolve very well, i’ll have to look at the process you linked. i use the smok alien with a smok baby beast 3ml? tank and gennerally vape at 60-80 watts.

i figure with PG/PEG400 i should be able to put a half gram of shatter in a 3ml tank. that should give a nice buzz.

Not to throw rinse water on the whole topic, but my niece just took a new job as an EMT in the Hartford, CT area and one of very first calls was treating a patient whole vape blew up in his mouth, causing some nasty burns. Careful.

1 Like

If you use vapes as intended, (ie, no modifications to the equipment) there is little risk.

I’ve had more phones and charger issues than I’ve ever had with vaping equipment lol.

2 Likes

Well that’s what im looking into as one most “vape juice” is typically a combo of Vegetable Glycerin and Propylene Glycol in 50/50, 70/30, and some straight VG mixes, so if we can extract and make our own concentrates using VG it would make sense that it may be the avenue to go down for home concentrate juice production.

The issue it seems with VG is that with it being such a weak solvent, unless constantly agitated for decent amount of time or by the addition of heat to that as well that a interface barrier layer is formed where the initial aggressive of the VG as a solvent on untouched resin glands is reduced as you have a reduced solvent acting on that resin unless it can be exposed to a more fresh or pure solvent than one that may already be concentrated, thus the agitation/mixing and heat.

At first with what ive been reading most of the mixes for “liquefying” wax and the such typically have peg400 in it which isn’t necessarily good for you according to most reports on the subject matter, and rightly fully so. The other option is to use terepene based liquidfier for it, but those terepenes are just another solvent when you get down to it that is more aggressive than VG, PG, PEG400 and the likes from my understanding but i haven’t actually looked up and compared the actual aggressiveness of them in comparison, but from my general knowledge in related chemical fields it would make sense that they are such as an example of one terepene Limonene is typically used as a degreaser aka “citrus degreaser”

And right now there is so little info on the subject or at least hard to find as everyone want to keep what they know a secret and its relatively new as well

also as far as the exploding vape, its the litium batteries exploding thats the issue, straight up electrical burns combined with heat and shrapnel at times, but pretty mush all cases are due to improper handing of the batteries.

1 Like

You mean a stoner mishandling equipment. Never.

1 Like

But i think the main issue for us or from what i hypothesize is that we are probably not agitating our concentrates long enough with or without heat and there proportions could be out of whack giving most people mixed results as far as there juices seperating out over time or not disolving completely.

Either way its something im jumping into as seems like glycerin tinctures may be the way to go for myself due to the possible vapeability and for edible use, as if i can just do an extraction with VG instead of doing an ETH extraction or the likes it save me a set or two.

But its all something that i need to tinker with, and saying that i bought some VG today to play with, and will try incorporating an ultrasonic cleaner if things look somewhat promising over my initial tests

2 Likes

I think mixing it w/PEG is quick. +/- 5 minutes once up to temp.

1 Like

yeah that the advantage with the PEG is its a stronger solvent, but im personally Leary with it for health reason and would prefer less components ideally even if the extraction time is longer.

But its all something i want/have to play with first.

yes i had a shotglass with vg/pg solution on a element heated to 160F and was stirring for 4+ hours ended up falling asleep with it on the heat for 4 more hours then tried again in the morning with higher heat and more vigorous stirring w/ glass stir stick, i was able to dissolve 0.1g of shatter in ~3-5 ml of juice

need to make sure you get PEG USP or food grade

Diarrhea from too much use is your greatest risk.

Ouch, lets vape responsibly… Thank you OG and be safe!!!

1 Like

@Mr.Sparkle, the problem with VG is potency. I started with VG e-juice and never could get it string enough. The flavor was great on some cold processed (3 month soak) Bubba Kush, but it required a few ml to get an effect. It’s effective to take the edge off or maintain a medicated state.

I had good luck winterizing BHO and getting it to mix with PG at about a 1:1 ratio. Not the most potent, but comparable to flowers and it worked well for travel.

I think that it’s easier to buy a cartridge designed for concentrates and skip the whole mixing, blending, etc. These do have their limitations, however. The require frequent maintenance, can burn your concentrate, and don’t look too stealthy.

Now I’m using the terpenes and, yes, they are a stronger solvent on par with ethanol. I can use 3-4 drops per gram and get a product that I can load with a syringe. Combined with the Bubbleman Trinity pen and I finally have the product I want.

2 Likes

Yeah that was one of the things i was reading with VG having only around 1/3 the holding power compared to ethanol for extraction, and im all for straight concentrate carts aka"wax and the likes" but it seems they are a bit harder to find for the small scale that im looking around at the moment, without having things like cotton wicks and or replacement coils were you dont have to buy a whole new vape pen/attachment to replace.

But that’s all something to play with and to see what works for me.

2 Likes

I can recommend the Hurcules tank. Completely user serviceable and can hold around 0.8 grams of concentrate at a time.

1 Like

this is my rig - the cotton wicks are part of the replaceable coil and cost $5 each or $20 for 5 at the local store. i’m sure could source cheaper online. it’s the only part to replace, roughly every 90ml or 30 refills or more. i’ve heard people using 5ml for 1G so i could fit just over half a gram in my 3ml tank if that turns out to be true. (i chose the ‘baby beast’ tank - could have upgraded for $10 or $20 but i can just refill more frequently)

the kit is $58 (mod, tank, 2x coils, spare glass tube + seals)

2 Likes

5:1 dilution? Let’s do a little math… let’s say we got some nice distillate 99% THC. That’s 990 mg in 6 ml total volume or 165 mg/ml. That’s around 16.5% by volume and a little lower than flowers. Now if you use wax with 70% THC, that number drops to 11.6%. I think I would prefer 4ml/g in that case. 99% distillate is about 20% in that case.

1 Like

is that too much dilution? idk i was only able to get 0.1g in to 3ml (30:1?) with my VG/PG mix so i was kind of skeptical about that even. but i will definitely be trying for max solubility !! i’m very new to this

2 Likes

For my preference, I use 10% or so using terpenes. My brother likes a 1:1 dilution with wax which usually gives about 30% or so. VG won’t mix at that concentration. PG I’ve done well with 1:1 and some heat.

2 Likes