Anyone make their own ejuice?

i was looking for PEG400 USP but i think the one i saw on texlabs was several hundred dollars for 1L ? then everything on amazon.ca was not for human consumption. maybe i can check ebay or amazon.com for shipping to canada

1 Like

Yep do it all the time with rosin and terps. Itā€™s my buddies recipe and itā€™s better than any cartridge I have tried. I think he posted the recipe on ig, his company is @ExtractedColorado.

2 Likes

yes iā€™ve heard terps are a great way to do it, does the flavor really come thru ?

Different ones do some donā€™t at all. You kinda have to play with it. And you always want real isolated terpenes not the synthetic ones.

2 Likes

https://www.waxliquidizer.com/product/wax-liquidizer-original/
use this stuff id use a hair straitner to get the oils then mix

1 Like

I started this post to see if anyone had ejuice recipes for KIEF. To say Iā€™ve had little luck extracting oils is being overly generous. So, I was hoping someone had a kief recipe better than the one I am using now.

When I make ejuice from kief, I do a 4:1 ratio of kief to pg-vg, the liquid being 75% pg, 25% vg. I end up with a very small amount per gram because the kief absorbs some and even with a lid on my double boiler setup, some gets lost as vapor on the lid. This process takes a very long time. Heat it to 200Ā°F and keep it there for 40 minutes, stirring frequently. The YouTube video I learned this from says to let it cool all the way down, then do another heat cycle. It says to keep this up for at least three heat cycles, more is better.

First, the video I followed says to mix 8:1, 50-50% pg-vg. My 1st batch was horribly weak. It made big clouds (I later found out that the clouds are due to the vg), but not much buzz. Plus I can smell THC vaporizing while heating. Smells identical to when I vaporize a bud.

Iā€™ve had 0 (zero) luck using a hair straightener. I bought the exact same one that 2 of the videos on YouTube used. The 1st run gave me just spatter on my parchment paper. I used more heat and tried it again. I got slightly larger droplets of oil on the paper, but not even enough to rub on a rolling paper tio try it out. After that, I was back to even smaller spatter. I think I may have ruined the straightener by squeezing it with a carpenterā€™s bar clamp. However, most of the YouTube vids using a hair straightener, are also using the same clamp. I bought both the straightener and clamp identical to those being used in the vids to keep the variables to a min.

So, either I ruined the hair appliance, or it was sub-par to start with, or neither of the 2 strains I grow will give a good yield that way. Since I get about 5 grams to an ounce of kief of the purple one and 4 grams per ounce with the blond strain, I donā€™t understand why I canā€™t get dab. I decided to try something different to get dab, by I have yet to do it. One of the YouTube videos, a young guy used and iron and an electric griddle for his heat source(s). I bought an iron (first one I ever bought in my life). I have a griddle already, but it is a really nice one that I donā€™t want to ruin by leaning on it, so I am trying to find something to fit under the center of the griddle to support it and prevent breaking the legs. When I find that something, Iā€™ll post my results.

Question for all of you that are getting the hair straighteners work for you: What condition is the weed in when you do it? The people in the videos Iā€™ve seen never mention it. I always assumed they were using cured buds.

Iā€™ve tried it cured, fresh, partially dried. I thought my weed may have been too dry (I like my weed dry), so I tried a big fresh bud and that didnā€™t work either. All that gave me was a hard baked bud cookie. :\ I tried a bud that dried for 4 days. It made a cookie that wasnā€™t as hard as the one the fresh bud made. It looks so damn easy on the videosā€¦

I cant comment really on hair straightener rosin making, tried it a couple times but no where near efficient on it. Other people on here may be able to comment on it @MadScientist @ReikoX @99PerCent @Roux even though they run presses. Myself i was getting a bit better results with a tad wetter than standard cured buds. I typically do QWET to get my shatters/waxes.

As for the PG/VG recently with some stuff ive been playing with, i say ditch the VG all together as i was just running into issue with it. But found an easy method for mixing shatter into PG.

Just involves heating some water up to say boiling whether microwave, stove, kettle or whatever. Then having that hot water in a bowl and placing a small shot glass or vial with your wax into that bowl, effectively as a double boiler. Let it sit till the wax melts, then i mix my PG in letting it heat up and just stirring occasionally. Reheating or using more hot water as needed.

Has worked pretty decent so far but havenā€™t played with the ratios yet but will be shortly.

3 Likes

I have used it a couple of times, so by definition i am a noob at it.

3 Likes

@Cobra50, I just made some e-juice tonight. Turned out great! I pressed my own rosin using a hair straightener and a vise (This is the press I made ā€¦you can see my press results here). Iā€™m in agreeance with @Mr.Sparkle, the higher relative humidity in the bud the better the yield. I donā€™t squeeze fresh buds, too watery. I use dried buds and wet them down a bit to bring some more moisture into them before pressing.

I used the Wax Liquidizer strawberry and banana. I ordered it off ebay for $15 to the door for the 15ml bottle. Then used a 1:2 ratio of 1 part rosin (g) to 2 part wax liquidizer (mL)

Everyone is different but, I use the microwave in 10 sec intervals, stirring between each time, until the rosin is completely dissolved in the liquid (usually 2 -3 times), should be a clear golden amber color. Then into the vapā€™s tank it goes.

As far as potency goes, I find it to be the right level of puff to stoned. I was trying out the strawberry batch today and took way too many rips, I took a big stoner break before I did the banana one. lol

For my wifes vape she likes Ā½ strawberry e-juice and Ā½ banana e-juice. I personally like the original (flavorless) because I like the taste of buds :grin:

Keep trying you will get it, I learned from the youtube videos and information out there. It can be done :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks for the advise! :slight_smile:
Like your design. Very similar was going to copy from YouTube where they attached the hot jaws to a bar clamp (the one I was using). I had decided I was going to do just what you already did, so, Iā€™ll copy your instead. :smiley: I am definitely a new hair straightener. I turned mine on a while ago and kept tabs on it with and infrared thermometer. It was all over the place. It had 2 extremes, no in between. I probably killed it. I didnā€™t like the way the plastic case sounded when squeezing it.

@Mr.Sparkle, I found the same about vgThatā€™s why I cut down the 3:1. I think it is still to vg rich. The vg feels heavy in my lungs when the ratio is to high. Iā€™m planning on trying straight pg as well. I think it may give a more pleasant vape. Iā€™m still working with kief for now. Dry ice extraction is just so damn easy!

I just ordered a lab quality microscope and need to decide on a camera to go with it. My expense budget is stretched very, very thin right now and will be for about 2 months, so itā€™ll be a while before I get the materials to make Rouxā€™ design for myself.

2 Likes

Go with the @Roux design.

It works great.

I purchased a separate set of aluminum magnetic jaws, removed a silicone pad and was able to adhere the heating units directly to aluminum using the JB Weld as suggested by Roux.

99%

5 Likes

I think I have tried just about every recipe for e-juice on the web. In the end, I have settled on using tanks designed specifically for concentrates. There are quite a few on the market and they are simple to use. The only problem is cleaning them can be difficult.

VG is a very weak solvent. The only time Iā€™ve had luck with it is by letting the material soak in VG for 3 months or so. Even then it was way too weak to be effective, but the taste was fantastic.

PG/PEG is a pretty good solvent, but most donā€™t like the plastic taste. I had luck with 1:1 ratios of wax:PG/PEG. They will mix and it is a potency.

I tried the whole terpene based liquidizer products. They work well and taste pretty good. If I were going to suggest a tank setup, that would be what I would use.

Are you trying to press bud or your kief? I only ever got good results with bubble hash (not buds) and a hair straightener. Dry bud wonā€™t press at much all. I store mine with a hygrometer and maintain a humidity around 60% in the jar. Fresh dried bud (stems just snapping without breaking) works best for yield, but cured buds give more stable product IME.

3 Likes

I was going to run a 1:1 PEG THC-juice with it for a friend, and try to get away from the butane extraction.

Iā€™ll eventually get a tolerable dab rig. A buddy has a d-nail on a water pipe and that tastes good with the squished product.

99%

1 Like

@99PerCent. I am planning on doing his design. Looks good. It needs to wait for a few months though. I just bought a new microscope. This is a full size microscope and ran just over $300. I will need a camera for it as well. a 10 MP camera with USB 3.0 is another $270. I may go with the 10 MP USB 2.0 for 197. Either way, my budget for the grow has reached its April 2018 mark, or at least it will when Iā€™ve gotten the camera. @Rouxā€™ design looks efficient and inexpensive and I will get to that when my budget can take it, probably Mayā€¦

I canā€™t envision what the would look like. Another project I intend to try in the coming year or so is to make a butane extraction rig, but use CO2 instead. I believe the super cold liquid is what does the job with butane, not the solvent qualities. The rig would still be an explosion hazard due to the pressure in the tube, but it would be much less of an explosion than butane would be. Still needs to wait a few monthsā€¦

@ReikoX, Iā€™ve tried both buds and kief, but like I said earlier, the hair straightener I am using (purchased just for this purpose) doesnā€™t seem to work. I have an infrared thermometer (about $17.00 at Amazon.com) and I checked it last night. the heat kept wavering between 130Ā°F and 480Ā°F. I originally thought I had ruined it by squeezing it with a bar clamp. Now I think maybe it was junk already when I bought it. I couldnā€™t exactly take it back to Walmart because it didnā€™t make good dab. :wink:

Thanks for the advice on how much dampness to run the bud at. I have a very difficult time keeping my harvested plants from getting too dry because the winter humidity is around 15% in my house. even sticking my plants in garbage bags only goes so far towards preventing over drying. The last 2 plants I harvested were completely dried out in 4 days. I need to find a winter curing solution. The summer humidity is exactly the opposite i had a plant last early fall that took 3 weeks to get dry enough to smoke. Since it is a personal grow, I can live with it. If I were to sell it, Iā€™d need to solve this problem pronto. I tend to like my bud dry anyway. The smoke is a bit harsher, but there is more thc per hit.

3 Likes

can get a ratchet clamp fairly cheap which exerts quite a bit of pressure, i wouldnā€™t use any VG personally it has poor solubility ime iā€™d get some PG or PEG400. i tried mixing shatter with a 50/50 pg/vg flavored e-juice with terrible results.

1 Like

Hey @legalcanada. That is what I was referring to as a bar clamp. Either it was what broke my straightener or it may have been defective out of the box. I used the a 6" DeWalt clamp because they have incredibly solid jaws.

I came to a similar decision. I still am using a small amount of VG for a better taste and a bit more vapor. My attempts with PG only showed ma a very harsh draw and a small amount of visible vapor. Too much VG gives a great vapor cloud but less of a buzz, with less absorption of THC, but Iā€™ve only been using kief so my ejuice is probably not as strong as yours. I am currently trying letting 1.25 grams of the dry ice kief I made last weekend soak in 5ml of 90% pg and 10% vg. I stir it a couple of times per day. The liquid started absorbing the color of the kief in 24 hours. I think Iā€™ll give it some low heat from time to time top speed the absorption, but not enough to smell the THC.

Hav a good day,
C50

lol iā€™m sure yours is much stronger than what i made! or i hope so at least! i think i was able to dissolve only 0.1g in 3-5ml of e juice with lots of heat and stirringā€¦ i donā€™t think it provided any buzz at all but it did taste a little bit like shatter so that was OK i guess.

next time i will attempt with better ejuice and better shatter as well, iā€™d like to try with a flavoured e-juice because i like ~42-50mg/ml of nicotine so if i buy pure PG iā€™d need to buy pure nicotine as well.

My tincture has been soaking 6 days now. I havenā€™t put any heat to it at all. All Iā€™ve done is to stir it a couple of times a day. It has gotten very thick and dark. When I hold it up to my veg lamp to see where the solids are, I canā€™t see thru it at all, I can, however see where the sediment is because it is somewhat lighter in color than the liquid.

I bought a lab microscope and it arrived TUE. I bought it primarily to be able to get a positive on any insect life that decides to make itself a meal of my plants. I donā€™t have a camera for it yet, itā€™ll take up to a month to save for it.

After searching my drains dishes and skimming the top of my coco, I was looking for stuff to look at (you know, boys and their toys). :slight_smile:

I still have all the hash I made 2 weeks ago, with the exception the weakest which was made into a pound of butter. I have just enough of the ā€œfreeze driedā€ hash to liven up a few bowls, the remainder went into the tincture. So, I put a few grains of each kief on its own slide and put it under the 'scope. The really blonde hash I expected to be almost all thc. Not so. There is a lot of debris in with it. The stems the thc grows on are much larger than I expected. I swag maybe only 50% of the stuff on the slide was thc. The most blonde hash is the cleanest. The darker it gets, the more debris in the field.

Lastly, I picked up a little of the freeze dried. If you remember, this was the wet buds I used. This stuff was very, very clean. Little, clear balls of thc abound. There is debris, but my swag for this closer to 75% thc.It ainā€™t shatter, but it is really good. And it smokes like it. It tastes like my finger hash always tastes. Finger hash is the only hash I enjoy smoking without mixing it in a bowl with buds, At least it was. I like this stuff just fine!

When I get a camera Iā€™ll post microscope images of samples from the two strongest kief batches.

This is making me itchy for a camera. Hoping to be able to afford and 18MP USB 3.0 camera, but thatā€™d take an additional month and my patience doesnā€™t usually hold out that long when I want something badly. I often sacrifice meal quality for toys. Eat like crap but play like I can afford too.

There are several online stores that sell do it yourself ejuices. I may need to check my upstairs computer. When I first started making ejuice, I was looking for an ecig. One of the shops sells pg, 50/50 pg,vg, 80/20 pg, vg, as well as straight vg. They also sell nicotine straight and you mix it to your own taste. My 1st ejuice was made from a watermelon flavor with NO nicotine (I havenā€™t used nicotine since I quit cigarettes in '83). And I just got that at an ecig store $20 for 30ml.

You said in another post its ā€œtoo cold to make shatterā€. Iā€™m guessing you make it outside. The idea of playing with a closed cylinder full of pressurized butane brings out the yellow streak down my back. Iā€™ve been toying around with the idea of fabricating a small hydraulic press for dab. Apparently the places that make large qtys. of the stuff where it legal, use hydraulic presses. Large ones. Check out some of the videos on YouTube about it. It seems the more squeeze you get, the less heat you need. These places are only using squeeze.

My grow is too small to ever require a massive press, but pressing cube say 25mm or 50mm shouldnā€™t require so much pressure. Itā€™d be more expensive than difficult to make, and it shouldnā€™t be too expensive.:thinking:

I would consider abandoning Polypropylene Glycol for Polyethylene Glycol.

I still think the cartridges designed for concentrates are the best way to go. I will say this, however, I had the best luck when I winterized my wax before mixing with PG. The wax likes to precipitate out causing separation.

2 Likes