@Roux @99PerCent @MadScientist @casperdiegh @Jellypowered and anyone else successful with squishing buds:
I was just on YouTube trying to find out how long to let my kief and 90/10 pg/vg soak to become ejuice. Apparently this can be a no heat operation. (The answer was 30 days if you didn't already know).
I looked over videos about pressing dab. Out of about 15 videos, there were 4-5 different temperatures given as optimal. The range was huge, which was surprising. Any other subject, there is consensus, such as decarboxylation and ejuice. I am certain there is an optimal temp. I know there will be a consensus at OG. How about it? Anyone wanna educate me on this?
On a different note, I looked at my dry ice kief through my new microscope. There were different levels of kief, depending on if it was trim or smokable buds. This difference was highly visible @ 80x with both bottom and top lighting. I don't have a camera for the scope yet, So I can't yet post pics (I will when I get camera function), I can only describe the scene.
The least potent, trim leaves, I would swag an estimate of about 30% of this kief was the good stuff. There was a lot of debris in the field. Bottom lighting makes a huge difference in distinguishing between debris and the THC. The THC is nearly clear, and is obviously fluid in shape. Some of the debris is also clear, but has the shape of a long, thin cone. Other debris is dark with irregular surfaces.
The most potent was the kief I made using fresh, wet buds right off a couple of plants of my purple strain. (In other postings I've referred to this as "freeze dried", although I don't really know the process for making freeze dried food is.) This view swagged as 75% THC to debris. The THC made many very round beads that dominated the filed of view. This is the kief I am using to make the no heat ejuice. You could also plainly see coating on the long cones as well as coating the irregular debris as well. The visual of the next most potent kief appeared to be only about 50/50
Now my tincture had been soaking from SAT to SAT. I stirred it (I do that several times per day) and placed a drop of the stirred concoction on the slide right next to the freeze dried kief. I could easily dial between samples for comparison. The first thing I noticed is there were less of the beads in the droplet. Also, it appeared that much of the debris was still encapsulated in the good stuff. This is very interesting. It tells me that I probably won't need to guess when my ejuice is finished, I will see it! I plan to check it again next SAT. I am excited to visually follow the progress.
Have a good day all.