Anyone use black gold soil

Just wondering anyone else using it,I usually start my plants off on it then change to ocean forest after replanting

It says it has fertilizer in it,was thinking about adding some tiger bloom

2 Likes

I’ve used it before with good results, but it also was a mixture of multiple soils… overall it seemed like decent dirt though

1 Like

I do like it for putting seeds in,I found the ocean forest burns the shit out of small plants

But I’ve not grown a full plant in it,

1 Like

Yeah I remember I used it before as kind of a filler because it was kinda cheap, but it worked fine and looked fine as an additive

my current mix is just

Happy Frog
Ocean Forest
Coco Coir
Extra Perlite

not counting the perlite the ratio is probably about 60 soil / 40 coco

You mix all of that together interesting
Ocean forest soil is getting expensive ,one thing I did notice with the black gold you don’t keep an eye on it,will start to grow mold,mite be my last time using it lol

1 Like

I use it all the time as a base. It’s great. Works good for seedlings too. I do add nutes, or mix other ingredients into it for big plants.

1 Like

Got gnats at work buzzing the bags.
Also used to hear bad things about it.

2 Likes

where i buy happy frog or ocean forest there price is still pretty much the same as a year ago, but shipping is another story, now before some one says they picked it up so no shipping,wrong! unless the bags walked to where you bought them from.

Walmart does free shipping that’s where I was buying ocean forest from,but I can buy a big bag of black gold for $12 down the street from me,I’ll finish this grow with it see how it goes

I did notice it holds water pretty good don’t have to water them as much

1 Like

just paid $10 a bag for ocean forest 1.5 or happy frog 2.0, 3.8 bale of promixcc was 25 dollars kaos of the gods #4 1.5was 14 a bag in December

1 Like

Shit that’s a good deal I was paying $38 for the same size bag

1 Like

Pro mix with mycos in the veg bag is the shitz
Black gold seems to heavy and easy to compact

4 Likes

Yeah I noticed when I was checking my soil with a prong meter for moisture, that the soil is dense and compact as @OleReynard said. And blackgold seed starter, black gold compost and Mr wriggles ewc were used. Mostly as an experiment and so far so good. Haven’t fed my Burning Love 1 nothing except water and one feeding a fresh compost tea brew

3 Likes

the places i bought from sell online, there both in Michigan, I was there on emergency trip,so grabbed it.
one is grow green in Whittmore lake the other is new to me Clio cultivation, Grow green had really low prices and still there low but they moved a block to a different building , during that they had extra low. but like i said shipping is expensive. Clio cultivation had low prices as well.

the bales i got of promix both had myco, seems pretty standard there.

1 Like

I did a few runs with BG. I thought it was pretty good.
Didn’t even need to feed the plants at all for first few weeks, and they were all very happy.
Plants started showing deficiencies around the time they started flowering. So give them an occasional boost from then on…

I’d probably still be buying, it if the local store hadn’t stopped carrying it.
As others said above tho… needs a bit more perlite added, to keep it from compacting too much.

4 Likes

I’ve only used the germination soil they have for my seeds. It works great.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the soil info everyone. Im using black gold now for the first time. It does take too long to dry out for sure. I haven’t watered in 5 or 6 days. Definately needs extra perlite.

3 Likes

@anon98660487 I’ve used Black Gold before just cut with perlite and using gen hydro nutes. Worked perfectly fine for me good results.

I use coco these days.

@Lucky Your mix is interesting, when you have that ratio of coco what ph range do you try to maintain, also do you stick with high fertigation like you would in coco or do you treat it overall like soil?

1 Like

I’ve been using Happy Frog lately at $21.56 a bag (2 cu), I almost bought some black gold just to check it out

http://greenzonehydroponics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=539_540&product_id=6507&limit=100

1 Like

Haven’t really had to do anything to adjust pH at all, the coco I used is very clean though… my plants seem pretty happy in this mix overall

I have Fox Farms Dirty Dozen for nutrients, I use the Big Bloom a lot for food (not just for flower) and I don’t use even close to what the bottle says to add per gallon, very small amounts go a long way

It actually dries out fairly quickly, I have to water quite often, but I’m also running a dehum.

1 Like