Are male plants more fragrant than female?

I have only greenhouse grown clones and feminized seeds in the past, this year I bought a tent and am starting with regular seeds and have encountered my first non herm males.
One of those males(wookie hashplant) has the strongest odor from the stems I have ever encountered. No flowers have opened yet and the stems feel a little sticky.
A sweet pine cinnamon, just intoxicating. The other two males(PineApple, #2 wookie) are not close in terms of intensity

So question: Are males stinkier or am I just dealing with good genetics for the first time?
Plant in question is on the right…thanks in advance

14 Likes

It’s different for every plant. Male or female. That one boy is stinkier than the other boys. You will find females that stink just as much or more! :v:

7 Likes

Imo females smell stronger in flower, I have had a smelly mate meristem though.

2 Likes

That sweet pine cinnamon smell is a good sign of some potent genetics :grin:

6 Likes

I have found males that smelled stronger than the females. I had always assumed it was because the males dont produce buds and they mature earlier. But that is only my hypothesis.

2 Likes

That sounds like a ‘keeper’.
I’ve been told (more than once…) stinky/sticky males are a good indicator of a superior male. Look into pollen preserving (it’s easier than you might think).

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I’ve found that plants with distinct or skunky smells in veg often turn out to be males. Not always, but frequently enough to take notice.

1 Like

I’m growing my first male out now

Generally speaking, male plants have a nicer “stem rub” aroma than females. But as a flowering plant, females reign supreme. All the male gives me is a nose full of dry tingly pollen :skull::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Excellent, health plants you have there. Appears you’re working with some potent genetics in your chosen Strains/Varieties. Consider yourself fortunate, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Gut instinct tells me I should save this, at least try and learn how to preserve pollen.
Maybe just put him back into the tent at the right moment…?

Learning curve…

8 Likes

I really read the whole thing.
Then I seen a dog.
Forgot my response!
Totally your fault.
:crazy_face:

3 Likes

sploosh…

1 Like

No. You will occasionally get a really stinky male but the females are more aggressive generally.

3 Likes

I have had some studs in veg that smelled excellent

1 Like