Attic setup help please

Right, I’m assuming the area under it is. That is the way we do it for attic storage.

I just figured he wanted to know how to do it properly, and keep the integrity of the framing and insulation, but that’s just me, :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah was hoping to do it proper as id end up using it for storage aswell unless i do a proper conversion.

4 Likes

I understand, but that double layer of insulation was there for a reason… but I can see that’s not of much concern :slight_smile: All I can add is, good luck!

2 Likes

At this time of year insulation really isnt my biggest concern seeing as i open the doors and windows and the house is still warmer than outside

Those are engineered trusses.

2 Likes

Yeah at most ill be moving the insulation, just gonna work around the wood

1 Like

I was going to suggest you move the fluff out of were you will be putting boards and replace it with high rated rolled insulation.
:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Might be cheaper just to raise the boards above the current insulation though if i do that

that is what i did its fine for cooler months but the loft got to dam hot haven’t grown up there for 2 years now use it for storage

i have the same looking loft space

1 Like

Yeah heat is a big concern its not super hot here but it sure isnt cool. I was figuring lights on at night when its coolest to even that out

1 Like

im south not exactly the caribian but had to run lights in the day because of noise
couldn’t belive how hot it got 46 on average in the loft space

Yeah ill have to run some tests but it was somewhere in the range of 25c up there when it was supposed to be a high of 17 today

1 Like

Probably outright to hot to use in the summer tbh. And looks like not enough height to do anything wider than 3ft. Could nail a board to the rafters and run a 2x4 tent in the winter though, a couple 3-5 gallon pots ain’t gonna get heavy enough to break nothing.

Yeah im not worried about space up there as its long, i run LED so its 12 inches at most from the plants so that kinda height isnt an issue just want to do the flooring proper so im either not messin up the insulation permenantly or going through the ceiling

The most important thing is that it’s functional… and that you don’t damage your home.
If i sold my property they would bulldoze this house and build another I’m sure. 5% population increase on a yearly basis has the market crazy here.
So providing your growing throughout the winter, lights on at night then you should stay warm with one layer. Maybe not as much air flow as one would like up there, but I think you can make this a functionable space to grow in.
When i first popped it open and looked in my attic it was not much different then what your looking at. Then I got the itch to grow in it. Am still scratching the surface and mine is not what i would call a successfully built grow room by any means. But it serves its purpose and has provided me good medicine that I was thankful to have.

2 Likes

Bag the extra insulation to keep and floor it with th 18mm
Get a nice base to work from first : )
Then you take it from there : )

1 Like

@G-paS Is this the thread you were talking about. If it isnt Bob13 you might get some ideas from it anyway,

2 Likes

Interesting method but it skips the flooring of the attic :joy:

Does this help?

4 Likes

No insulation in the attic floor. I see it in the walls but. I would still have to put it in the floor to help with clement control.

:green_heart: :seedling: