Authentic Genetics Seed Company

Scientists have created yeast that makes cannabinoids. It has the potential to be a very inexpensive process. It seems like it will be much less expensive than growing plants, especially for cannabinoids that are only available in small percentages in plants. (Complete biosynthesis of cannabinoids and their unnatural analogues in yeast | Nature)

If, for example, THC-V was proved to be effective against some types of cancer, it would be very hard to get enough for everyone who needs it by extracting it from plants.

BTW, you can patent a plant: Plant Patent: Meaning, Overview, Requirements

5 Likes

and how much money was spent developing this ā€œinexpensiveā€ process? :wink: Enough to justify nudging out the competition, I imagine. But they have to compete with the entourage effect of well bred pot. Iā€™m betting itā€™ll take some time before they can be something worth sniffing at beyond cheap sources of thc or terps to ā€œboostā€ lower grade products.

but weā€™re talking artificial cannabinoids. The kinds that can be patent protected for legal monopoly. The worry then, in my mind, is that it is in these companyā€™s best interest to have a world in which their product can be sold and similar ones, the real ones, cannot. They have incentive to make a world like that happen and this is big pharma weā€™re talking about - they have the money and connections to do just about anything they want.

3 Likes

also, from your link on patents:

ā€˜The plant must be asexually reproducible, and the reproduction must be genetically identical to the original and performed through methods such as root cuttings, bulbs, division, or grafting and budding to establish the plantā€™s stability. Tubers, such as potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes, are also not eligible for plant patents, nor are plants that are unique only because of growing conditions or soil fertilityā€™

Only applies to clones. You can patent one blueberry plant, but every single one of its parents, siblings, and progeny are up for grabs. Makes it hard to monopolize any particular chemical cocktail derived straight from the plant because anyone else can get something 99.99% as similar

6 Likes

@ToddMcC when is there going to be some more Mel Frank offering.

4 Likes

I have experience with homemade beerā€¦ so with that news yeast that produce cannabinoids I will try to make cannabeer :rofl:

Happy growings errrrā€¦ happy brewings!!

6 Likes

Have you tried a batch substituting the hops for cannabis buds!?

2 Likes

No, I mean NOT YET!!

:rofl:
Happy growings

2 Likes

Todd just posted this pic of Purest Indica. Amazeballs!

49 Likes

I just dropped a couple of Toddā€™s NL#2 into water today.
Iā€™ve been waiting for a perfect time to grow these, but the perfect time just wasnā€™t arriving. So I decided itā€™s time right now!

11 Likes

Man, that plant looks nice. Amazeballs captures and describes it pretty well. peace

5 Likes

I know alot of guys that came up with Sam. Desperation from a bust. The need to move alot of seeds. Riding the popularity of Skunk all come into play. If you look at Samā€™s stories. Thereā€™s only 1 thing I can find that adds up: he erased the Skunk. He didnā€™t create it.

Trying to look at all sides. He did what he had to do and no matter the b.s. aside did alot for seed breeding and the business.

Just compare all the competing seed cos in the same year releasing sk1 in there catalogs. All have different stories. Why? Well. Same source different upsell.

Iā€™m jusy sharing becuase of my off and on rks project i started back in 07. Slowly but surely data mining

Talked to 2 growers yesterday thats started in the 60s. They both said Skunk was a broadleaf indica or indica Dom hybrid.

The people Samā€™s age that know him well have nothing good to say when it comes to honesty. But I wasnt there. They also have no need to be dishonest

I thing for sure. None of the timeliness add up. And kilos of seeds had to be sold on the lam

mm

2 Likes

I would agree itā€™s a indica sativa hybrid leaning towards indica with nice double serrations on the leaf.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing man

Wasnā€™t tryna bash anyone. Just get to the truth. With that being said. Sam did say the originally used a nice afghani to shorten the flowering time of the colombian. A story thatā€™s been consistent. Once again I wasnā€™t there. So stabs in the dark.

What I do appreciate about growing original strains is you can really notice them in new and newer hybrids and cuts going around.

One of my breeding projects this year is Toddā€™s purest indica x: pure colombian, reefs Santa marta, r2, acapulco gold and a bunch of others. Fingers crossed as Iā€™m getting closer

mm

6 Likes

I grew bcsc #5 many times in the 90s and the last time around 06.

Man. The most dynamic effect. Creeper then crazy giggles, then social, energizing then munchies no burn out.

Smoked it with my gf of the time she was from Georgia (like russia) and never smoked weed. Finished a whole joint with me and one of the best 4 hours of a date we ever had. Borderline acid trip lol

mm

6 Likes

Iā€™ve dropped two testers of Todds NL#2s beans a little while ago. Both of them started showing pistils today.
2 girls!! I never get that lucky normally :sunglasses:

Iā€™ll post some pics once they start stretching and bulking up

14 Likes

Does anyone know of a current discount code for AG?

2 Likes

So I would like to let yā€™all know I do have a cut of the skunk 1 female I found from the lot of seeds I got from @ToddMcC 96 Skunk 1 seeds. I got 15 seeds and this lady was the one I liked the most. Goes 11+ weeks and is definitely lemony with some pine, no ceilings type of buzz, real clear get stuff done smoke.
The jack herer I got is also starting to make itā€™s rounds, and soon to be a Durban. Still have a few more lines to go through also but wishing Iā€™d see some more out of the Mel frank refrigerator from the past.

Never did see that blueberry Haze he was talking about.

If anyone is interested electric stoner on IG has been working with the Skunk 1 lady a bit more extensive than I have, and even reversed her on to his 30 year old mother of berries cut.

14 Likes

Itā€™s nice to hear you found a good Skunk 1. Sweet with a touch of pine and some lemon is how I know it. I know Skunk 1 gets some hate, but I grew the hell out of Skunk 1 and I love it. Good mowing the grass bud. It was the first named cut I ever got from my good friend Red (RIP brother and thank you for all the good times). That cut originated from a pack that came from Positronics. It was more Afghani dominate and finished at 55 days every time. I also grew out the Sensi Seeds Skunk 1 and liked it a lot. It was a little more on the ā€œmustyā€ sativa side.

11 Likes

I can check my latest email from him. Are you on his mailing list? Heā€™s always sending specials.

3 Likes

Well, not seeing a special on this email but it is exactly what you all want to read. Itā€™s all about getting the skunky smells and some history of the strain. He has other links to skunk in the article.

:+1:

7 Likes