Automatic Writing

Perfect. Thankyou bro. So what you’re saying is 3 or 4 generations to get close to an auto. Basically stick with regs/fems for the JR :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah it will take a minimum of 3 generations to get to fully auto.

4 Likes

I’ll probably stick with regs/fems then bro

1 Like

Automatic Writing
30 July 2022 - selective defoliation

I did a bit of defoliation this morning. When defoliating during flowering it is my habit start at the top of each branch and try to envision a cone of light surrounding the branch. I have a tendency to leave more leaves than most who grow photos indoors. During flowering I only remove leaves that have stems and are blocking bud sights. I don’t remove them all, but the vast majority I do. My philosophy is leaves are food and maybe more so for autos. Removing large fan leaves LOOKS like you’re taking more leaves than you actually are. I always leave small leaves as they will become large leaves. My rule has become to leave at least 4 small leaves in place for every 1 large leaf removed until just before harvest.

As I defoliate during flowering I also manipulate each branch so it stands apart as much as is possible and do my best to give each and every branch it’s own growing space.

Before and after photos and individual plant closeups follow: JLo is the one in the back, Black Cream in the front.

JLo

Black Cream

13 Likes

Automatic Writing
31 July 2022

I have been checking the Black Cream over pretty closely the last several days looking for any sign of purple. Today is the day! I was pretty sure yesterday, today there’s no doubt - the Black Cream is getting purple buds :+1:t3:

Here is the Black Creams official ‘blackening’ for this grow: One day from Week 7 (today is week 6 day 6 - I hope :crossed_fingers: lol)

11 Likes

Looks nice man props :metal: :metal: :metal:

3 Likes

:speaking_head: Thanks @ColeLennon this has been a LOT more fun than I thought it was going to be AND I’m actually learning something. :v:

2 Likes

Atomatic Writing
31 July 2022 - Facing the sh!t storm

Well, looks like it’s hit the fan. I was hoping that things would go as smoothly as possible, but that’s not the case. I have a half brother with cancer, a good friend with cancer and just got a call from my sister-in-law that my brother is in emergency.

I was already planning on being gone several days at the end of next week to visit my friend before his treatments start and hoping that the harvest would be in before heading to my brothers at the end of August/mid September but… that’s a bit up in the air at the moment.

My wife who does not use or grow has kindly offered to look after the girls but between the heat and me being gone for ??? we will have to wait and see what the outcome is.

I truly wish the best for everyone - and REALLY hope your life is a bit less tumultuous than mine at the moment… more Automatic Writing to come - but here comes the sporadic part -

Good Sh!t Happens Too!

7 Likes

Lol some of my 1st autos u could smoke in a session . Overwatering at 1st will tend to zap a yield

Sorry about bro

2 Likes

Automatic Writing
1 August 2022 - The show must go on

Even with how crazy it has been around here, today is a day worth noting.

Week 7 Day 1. June 13 - August 1

I’m VERY impressed with these girls.

If you can’t figure out who’s who; JLo is still the one to the back - loaded to the gills and fattening up. The Black Cream is doing her own thing at her own pace.

16 Likes

:speaking_head:Waxman as I grow in hydro my plants roots are always wet - never had a problem :rofl:

2 Likes

13 Likes

Automatic Writing
Focus on the Black Cream - 3 August 2022
Week 7 Day 3

I’ll be gone for a week or so, but before I got out the door I thought I would give you a bit of a focus on the Black Cream.

Since both girls started flowering about 2+ weeks ago the Black Cream has lagged behind JLo in flower production. If these were photo plants I would have guessed the Black Cream to be about a week behind in age but that was definitely not the case. Once she started to get a bit of frost on her she also started getting her name sake Black buds. Now the flowers are filling in some and the color is getting deeper with each passing day. She does it appears really like to eat the leaves and it’s looking at this point like there will be very little foliage to remove before harvest.

Mr. DeVille, she’s’ ready for her close up -

13 Likes

Automatic writing
10 August 2022 Week 8 Day 3

Just got home, did a bit of defoliation and oogling at how much the girls have filled out in just a few days.

More to come -
JLo & Black Cream Autos 59 days old

17 Likes

Automatic Writing
13 August 2022

In retrospect I probably should not have started this journal if I can’t do the topic justice and devote the time and energy required. However; here we are and even with all the crazies going on in my life at the moment the girls are chugging right along and bringing a smile to the journey.

I really haven’t taken the time I usually do with a grow simply because my time and efforts have been needed in other places more than the grow tent.

I’m still amazed and somewhat flabbergasted with autos. I am not sure I’m doing everything right but thank goodness the plants are very forgiving.

I’ve gleaned at least this much so far:
• it appears flowering starts around weeks 4 or 5 so any structure training should be complete by week 5
• generally folding leaves is preferable to removing them as auto’s do like to eat the leaves
• though I already use 3ml for every 5ml called for on nutrient labels and feed every 3rd gallon even that may be too many nutrients for autos in DWC Hydro
• light to developing buds is not of as much importance as it is in photo plants. Though you do still want them exposed to light to fill in and ripen properly
• light for this grow has been between 20-32 inches above the canopy for the entire grow and there are still light burned tips on leaves (in combination with nute burn?)
• they are indeed fast growers after about week 2 and appear to take well to training that involves very little topping or High Stress if completed by week 5
• training does increase size and the number of bud packets and therefore; yield

From these two girls I’ve found -

If your goal is to grow a lot of sweet smelling, sticky, ooey-gooey flowers that will challenge her spindley
growth; JLo is your girl!

If however you want some drool worthy beautiful flowers that are reported to pack a punch you can’t go wrong with Black Cream.

13 Likes

:speaking_head: Please keep the suggestions and comments coming; they’ve been extremely helpful so far. With only a few weeks left (3 or 4) I’m open to any experience and knowledge you’re up to sharing to help bring the girls to their fullest potential in the time they have left. Thanks folks. Amazing site, amazing members and enough knowledge to get through any cannabis related growing issues. :v: :wheel_of_dharma:

4 Likes

You might get record breaking yields. I am impressed with how well they are doing in your setup.
Another advantage to autos is that you can run all stages together from seed to finish under the same light schedule, so it’s easy to keep a staggered grow going in one space under one light.

5 Likes

:speaking_head:Thanks @LennyB in celebration of the grow, in praise of the OG & it’s members & to commemorate Week 9 Day 1; I’ve posted a video on YouTube and will post the link here.

3 Likes

Automatic Writing
3 minute video of the grow to celebrate Week 9 Day 1

Here ya go folks, thanks for all the help, feedback & support!

Week 9 Day 1

3 Likes

Neither here nor there in relation to the grow … but hey, it’s Monday!

4 Likes