Automatic Writing

Yeah most of mine were purple buds / purple leaves. Some of the seeds I have made had less purple leaves (like two phenos, REALLY purple leaves, or green leaves / purple nugs). But all have had purple buds, and at 7 weeks from sprout (3 weeks into flowering? they would start during week 4) the buds were clearly developing purple hues if they were the green pheno, and leaves were already getting lots of color of they were purple leaf pheno.

I wasn’t disappointed by the yield, it was one of my first autos, and despite hearing horror stories about low yields from autos, they did OK. Not the yield of a photo, but also half the time. The colors were what made me reverse and make some fem seeds though. First few were like 70g per plant, but I learned and got to 110g later.

Yours almost looks like a GG4 auto I got from Corey. They were BUSHES like that. And pretty killer smoke and yield, but no purple obviously.

Either way, your yield from autos with bushes like that shouldn’t be too bad… You might be pleasantly surprised. Won’t be the same as a photo, but wont take as long either LOL

6 Likes

:speaking_head: Thanks @Waxman420 these are the kinds of questions I have as well and like you I’m 'guess’ing that for auto’s what works MAY be different, but maybe not as different from a photo plant as thought. That is exactly what I would like to find out. What, if any, training works reliably enough to use consistently for auto’s in general?

With my training method I have seen NO difference in time but huge difference in yield with photo plants. I realize that topping slows growth, but for photo plants unless you go kinda ape shit with topping I’ve found that topping really only slows and impedes THE STRETCH if done just before flowering. I’ve also found that generally there are two types of flowering for indoor cannabis those plants that stretch and fill in and produce flowers almost exclusively from the top of the canopy upward and those (Like JLo) that appear to do little stretching and are loaded with bud packets from stem to stern.

Sorry for rambling on a bit there, got a bit of a buzz on - all of these and many many more automatic questions just keep coming…

Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated.

6 Likes

nutes WILL be different. Case in point. Fox Farms Trio (popular nutrient package). At recommended rates, works PERFECT for my photos. But those same rates will burn the shit outta my autos (I was fertilizing at 1/2 to 1/4 the rate). Make my own soil, but used happy frog, COM stonington blend etc, always the same. Autos are more sensitive to high nutes than photos IMHO.

4 Likes

nice grow man tagged :metal: :metal: :metal:

3 Likes

:speaking_head: @Nagel420 oh geez… I completely forgot about the nute difference. I knew it, once. THANK YOU!

3 Likes

:speaking_head: Thanks @ColeLennon ssmokeit

2 Likes

Automatic Writing

Part Two - 27/28 July 2022 The Background Story:
To be quite honest, when I first started growing legally indoors the last thing on my mind was how many beautiful plants I could grow, but was instead how much I could grow of good to ‘gooder’ quality than the dispensary. As we all know laws are kinda screwy. For example in my state you can grow up to 12 plants per individual for medical but you are only allowed to purchase or have on your person a maximum of 70 grams (2.5 oz’s). However if you grow… incidentals of growing and/or any cannabis not immediately visible is not counted toward you legal maximum. Makes you want to smoke a bowl and ponder it a bit doesn’t it? But, at $300+ an oz for THE GOOD STUFF it didn’t take long before the pondering was over and I was smacked upside the head with the cold wet trout of reality - HOMEGROWN IS A GOOD THING!
With fingers crossed and my best puppy dog eyes I prepared to set up my stage show and plead my case to the Judge and Jury (also known as The Spouse or simply; Sweetheart) who as it turns out had already experienced the cold wet trout of reality, and even though not a user of the product, was smart enough to figure out A-B= Oh $hit pretty fast. So, I started growing indoors, with the proper equipment as we could afford it and I’ve never looked back, never been sorry and NEVER been without cannabis for the last decade - and THAT works for me.

All of that was just to say - I like Big Buds (and I can not lie) :wink: and never really thought of giving auto’s a chance. They were just too small, same price per seed, finished faster but yield - just not there and when they first started becoming popular; auto’s were still inferior to photo plants in potency which made them even easier to brush off and ignore. But over time I’ve softened my opinion a bit, become totally infatuated with the spectacular beauty of many auto’s and their potency now rivals some of the best photo plants. Now, I find it very hard to NOT give auto’s a shot and realize that for me they’re not going to be an every grow thing, but like now, when the summer heat is warming up the hydro-tubs, auto’s have become an amazingly viable option to keep a grow going when the heat of a closed tent in the desert would and does become a serious issue for hydro (without a water chiller).

Baby & Training photo’s to come -

13 Likes

So training wise, tieing down and manipulating that way is perfectly fine it’s just say initial topping can slow them down, but if the mind set is to do as little as possible and just guide them you’ll be good and are already doing so.

6 Likes

Automatic Writing

28 July 2022:

I am doing my best to get us caught up to where we are now; sorry about slamming you with a big mob of photos and text until we get there …

Here are the girls as they were growing up (seems like just a few weeks ago - which it was) Descriptions and captions to follow photos

Legend:
Photo 1 - week 3
Photo 2 - week 4
Photo 3 - week 4 day 5
Photo 4 - week 5 day 1 JLo
Photo 5 - week 5 day 1 Black Cream
Photo 6 - week 5 day 1 JLo
This one threw me for a loop. Scratching my head and wondering WHAT am I looking at? Strangest looking stipules I’ve ever seen! They look a lot like calyx’s don’t they? Which as it turns out they were! Which I found out a few days later when white hairs began sprouting from the center. To me this was freaking strange! Still blows me away.
And
Photo 7 - week 6 day 1 defoliation as flowering is underway.

You probably noticed that the girls were trained out quad-line with a bonus FIM branch on each plant.

We’re ‘almost’ up to current - Thanks for your patience. PLEASE continue with your comments, questions and musing! The information I have gathered and gleaned has been invaluable and WILL BE put to good use.

Thanks again for everyone’s help and willingness to share their knowledge :v:

11 Likes

Correction

12 Likes

Those plants look amazing for autos. Very bushy!!

5 Likes

:speaking_head:Thanks @Kasper0909 I know what I’m doing with photo plants (most of the time - lol) but auto’s are a whole new ballgame for me. And once again proving that being a stoner and math may not be a good mix, (something about short term memory and all that) I just realized that the NO symbol is actually covering the number 48 NOT 49 ROTFLMFAO!

gosh I hope I don’t get graded on spelling either… oh well, I hope you get the gist of it

5 Likes

HEY look what I found!

Unfortunately just the photo not the tray of buds.
This is the harvest from my first every ‘accidental auto’. It was supposed to be photo/fem GDP what it actually was I have no idea; except that it was an auto. Keeping my previous post in mind and the fact that this was a few years ago, as I recamember the yield was about 8 oz’s

9 Likes

Automatic Writing
Photo update: 29 July 2022

12 Likes

I’ve had many questions about autos. @Mr.Sparkle might be able to chime in. If I was to try and make a JR auto. What would I need to be doing bro?

2 Likes

:speaking_head:@anon58740919 Thanks for all the likes but I am totally new to auto’s though I have been growing awhile. Being new here I’m not sure EXACTLY where to point you but I will say I do know how to make seeds. However instead of going into that process here in this journal, as I have looked around OG a bit it is obvious there is a lot of knowledge and information available on just about any topic related to growing; and then some. One set of posts in particular that caught my eye as I have been lurking around may be of some interest and help in answering your question Johnnypotseed’s 3-ring circus - with autos, photos & sex…reversals, that is! (Part 1)
:v:

6 Likes

You’re welcome man. I like your content so likes will come your way. I know how to make seeds. I referenced he JR. Which is jack’s rainbow :rainbow: (a quick search will give you the back story, also you’ll see the TARDIS build) I did the original cross and @Esrgood4u did a feminised run for f2 beans. I’ve got 5 f2s up. And will have the last 2 f1s back with me by next week. I plan to breed to like F5 but wouldn’t mind making an auto version/derivative for outdoor purposes. The UK won’t allow a photo to finish well. I tagged @Mr.Sparkle because his auto work (mainly dark sparks) is by far the best auto I’ve grown out.

5 Likes

:speaking_head:Thanks @anon58740919 :+1:
I have to say, though I haven’t been around OG long, I’m VERY impressed with community and site as a whole - a bit overwhelming and different than I’m used to. Everyone’s willingness to help is pretty amazing compared to some other sites I’ve frequented. VERY nice change of pace

9 Likes

Ran out of likes now :sweat_smile: OG is definitely the place to be. I was a member of RIU before finding this place and never looked back. OG is an actual community. Met a few folks here that became good friends in real life.

2 Likes
6 Likes