Bare minimum light for rooting clones

Walmart has 2feet strip for $12 smaller one is $9

Its 24 inches just get two of these n tie on top zip ties

![image|375x500]

5 Likes

i wasn’t really figuring out anything better than those for less than half the price, so I ordered those after all, $80 for 2 and shipped, looks like they are going to be sturdyer than bulbs, and take negative 0 space, seems like a good deal, i’ll do a “product review” once i install 'em and when i clone with them

3 Likes

they don’t have walmart in LA, there was one on MLK and crenshaw but it was a fucking joke, everything was broken, like we bought plates and cup set and they were all broken, and everything else too, those lights would be dusted haha

1 Like

My clones are off to the left in the colourful collars in a bubble bucket. In the past they have had too much light so I now point light away a bit and shade with other plants…getting better and better results each run.

4 Likes

I am cloning my first four ever. I just took two clippings from two separate plants and put them in a cup of water and set in front of my kitchen window. They have been there for 26 days as of today. I was just hoping they would do something.

Runtz Muffin

Goji OG Haze

GOH on the right, RM on the left

I am happy that it was this easy. Took a while tho.

Will be putting in solo cups this weekend.

4 Likes

My cloning shelf, nothing fancy…rooted way over 3K cuttings in the past 18+ yrs…

8 Likes

A sharp grower once said, while water rooting in a glass- leave only a small amount of water in the glass. Too much water prevent the roots from popping out.

I tried it, it’s true, as far as I could tell.

Problem is tiny bits of water evaporate quickly and that kills the cut of dry. Too much upkeep for me.

I just soak promix cchp, in Gaia and kelp. Make hole, cut/clonex/insert/press soil right to cut/tiny water. In a clear tote, top ajar, seedmat, in the corner of the room. Roots 7-10 days 90% success rate. Staying humble, dotting i’s crossing tees using litfa :v::ok_hand::sunglasses::surfing_woman:

5 Likes

i always put random cuttings in water instead of throwing 'em away, i’ve had luck on a heat mat at 80f inside store-bought nestle water bottles THATS IT everything else got moldy or brown after a month, so i’m going to get back to cubes, even if they are a pain, they work more consistently it’s probably the rooting hormone and perfect humidity/temperature combination, thanks for showing those i love seeing simplified shit!

fancy to me haha, very nice!

do you think that applies to rooting cubes too, like putting the stem only halfway down would be better?

let’s see the set up man, promix cchp? gaia? kelp? top ajar? litfa? i don’t understand anything, im either too old or too young or too esl haha

4 Likes

Here is my kiss setup, works for me.

Dont know about root riots cubes none of that has ever seen the inside of my rooms.

I am about to unleash worm castings on the lot of them during transplant.

6 Likes

Promix soil with coco and myco, sometimes plain sometimes amended

Gaia and kelp are longtime growing nutrient solutions. I use nectar for the gods for indoor growing.

Top ajar is the tops to the plastic bins. They are fully open now that they all rooted

Litfa= leave it the fuck alone, popular grower moniker for stop messing around with you plants.

Seeds and clones make good friends

5 Likes

Not really, mainly because there’s lots of air within even a wet rooting cube. I prefer to push as much into a cube if I am using that method (mostly use a bubble cloner). Reason being, more stem area in contact with growing medium for more root action. Its a bit different than a bubble or aerocloner in that sense. Its not a cube of water, its a cube fill of porous holes with lots of air.

Don’t keep the rooting cube overly soaked though.

I’ve found too that you can have too LITTLE light, and that will force flowering in your clone chamber too. I had some really crappy low budget LEDs (like, at full they are not even 25% brightness level of something like a viparspectra 1500…), well, that light induced flowering. Maybe good for some, but I want clones of known ladies, so that wasn’t helping to speed along the rooting / veg portion. So be careful of just how low you go on the lighting, I believe when the cutting is working on both making roots, and going into flower at the same time, its gonna take longer to root as its using energy on both ends.

The $12 walmart fluoro is a good option. Used them in the past. Now I’m using an old blurple and the crappy lights have been relegated to ceiling duty for the workshop.

2 Likes

Very little light is needed for rooting cuttings. I have a 3ft aquarium LED fixture that’s only 32w. I use it on my 3x1 shelf for seedling, small plants, and a rooting cuts. The cuttings are put off to the sides, and I usually shade them with other plants or containers.

10 Likes

Nowadays, this is where I do my cloning…5 rooted cuttings in cups, 13 unrooted cuttings in my cloner, 4 mother plants and a rooted fig tree clone…all under a under cabinet LED light…you don’t need that much light…btw, these clones are going to my farmer buddies and I love rooting small cuttings…

Smallest rooted cuttings

5 Likes

My set up looks just like yours @supershitfuck I got some 4 ft led shop lights from Lowe’s. They are like 7000 lumen a piece in the 4K range. There are 3 of them and they kick off enough heat to keep the tent over 83 degrees. On the shelf above For the clones I have 5 smaller 3 ft shop lights that are staggered. They are about 3000 lumen each. I haven’t run a temp test with all of those bad boys blazing at the same time though.

4 Likes

nice man, love the look of that, i’ve had great luck cloning in soil too, that’s a nice set up i’m assuming you got a pretty big flower room

haha that’s my method as well, i only see my plants real quick to water every 48 hours… they are on their own

noted. i ordered two 18w luxx LEDs for clones, i’m not exactly sure if its going to be enough to light 4 cloning trays, but i have a spare clip/bulb thing like this, i usually use it with a green bulb to go water in the night, if i have to

4 Likes

niiice dude i see you got a do si do bonsai, how’s that one? how long have you had it?

what are your bonsais? and how are those figs? i love figs but it’s literally the most expensive fruit at my corner market

4 Likes

I had a fig cutting and rooted it in my cloner…

20210913_072850

These are my other bonsais…

6 Likes

That norcal dosido plant is close to a year at this point, got the cuttings last April. I really like the savory flavor it has. I have a new mother growing out now before I retire that one. All my mothers are kept in those 16oz square containers. They’re in promix, but I feed them like they’re in coco :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Roots from minimum light off to side

Ogog #1 - excellent rooter

6 Likes

I basically do my clones the same as @Cartwright but use ProMix HP that I run through a 1mm mesh screen to get the lumps out and make good contact with the stems. I cheat tho by dipping in rooting gel then powder. Always make sure to poke a bigger hole than they need so the stems can go in without pushing all the goop up and losing contact. I just poke the soil in by sticking the blade of my little Swiss army knife in beside it and push the soil around then spray a bunch on the soil. Then I wipe the blade on my pants and use it to cut and prep the next one. Sterility is vastly overrated imo. :slight_smile:

In the top tray at the top are 3 Pink Kush cuttings from the very top of the plant I cut off to get rid of some tall tops and stuck 3 in a glass of water for about 5 days before cutting all the rest. One even had a little root bump starting on the side. They sat in one of the big pots so about 4’ from my 600W MH.

The 3 right below that are also Pink Kush but cut fresh and put in.

The middle tray has Cherry Noir. I have 2 different mothers so 3 from each and the bottom tray has GG#4 and Earth Lover all CBD from Sebring’s seed site.

All are going to be used to make fem seeds with using STS. The 3 plants to the right are Mazarilla Auto fems by @Urban_Legends. All planted at the same time and one sprayed with STS that finally produces some 'nanners which I collected and used a bit to dust some lower buds on the other two back on March 13. Some seeds busting out of calyxes now so will soon be chopping those.

They are just catching the side light from my little 5 bulb COB LED that pulls 207W from the wall and are all doing pretty good so I expect 100% rooting like usual.

Should have some nice fem seeds later to donate. That pink kusk is supposed to be fire and the Cherry Noir is really nice from the 1/4oz my buddy sent along with the 4 clones from back east late last year. they arrived the day after I left for a month in BC and the wife did her best but one died. 2 Each from different moms so it didn’t really matter. I can make F1s and S1s from those.

All the mothers got flipped to 12/12 3 days ago.

:peace:

5 Likes