"Barney"? (A Story of Kismit)

Great story @seven_trees. Truely a case of universal, planetary, and karma all being in alignment.

1 Like

Following the signs, doing it right, will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Wish you great abundance and more signs that lead you to great happenings! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Man that Sundae Driver… amazing colors

2 Likes

When you make a big deal of sharing the genetics you acquire…

and day 3 no sign of emergence…

Biting my nails over here! Come onnnnnn babies.

edit: 2021-06-03 7:02PM - Still not one up. Waiting patiently. But 100% of the Mexican Purple Heirloom seeds are up. Great germination and emergence from KropDuster <3

9 Likes

Bring on the Purple plants!

3 Likes

Any update on these?

2 Likes

Yeah but no camera at the moment, so I refrain from posting much without the desirable visual elements. But zero of the eighteen emerged. I spoke with the couple and they purchased some plants from me, and are excited to get back into growing at their new property. The husband is on a quest for purple, and is keeping his remaining Barney seeds to grow at his new property. I’m hoping he succeeds and I can choose cuts. Aside from that, I’ll be providing him purple cuts (various genetics) for his new garden.

The Purple Mexican Heirlooms are growing strong in 2gallons in greenhouse under supplemental light. Scheduled to go into a 5x5 tent to flower starting July 10th. Once they’re rolling about 3-4 weeks into flower, I’ll be up-potting them and letting them finish outdoors. The open pollination event will contribute pollen to several other purple selections in the garden, including my favorite, which is a deep purple expression of a Blueberry Trainwreck x Sundae Driver F1 cross, selected from 130 seeds.

The GDP x Purple Mexican females are each selectively pollinated with two disparate expressions of GDP Auto (f4): a tall vigorous pheno with purple/green striping, and a deeply intense neon purple dwarf phenotype. The unwanted GDP x Purple Mexicans are at a neighbour’s, for a last-chance evaluation in late flower.

The GDP (F4) auto has been continued in its parallel lines: big green bushy lateral branching with GDP funk line, and the single-cola purple GDP grape/berry line. From 298 seeds two females and one male from the green bushy line were selected, and seven females and four males for the purple grape/berry line were selected.

6 Likes

Too bad the Barney’s didn’t work out this go. Hopefully you neighbor is successful and you get a bunch of fresh beans next year…
How can we get our hands on some of these GDP f4 Auto’s?
Mmmmmmm purple mmmmm!!!

2 Likes

Keep on plugging, hopefully his stored seeds have better viability

1 Like

Thank you for the interest =) But they’re nothing special. I don’t typically release inbred lines once I’ve worked them past F3; they are not for sale or trade. My intention is true breeding stable lines, so that I can use them to create F1 hybrids for market release in future years.

If you have true breeding lines that are not released, it insulates you from copycats. Any true F1 hybrid I release bred from IBLs will grow uniformly as an IBL would, but with heterosis. From that seed stock, any person who reproduces it or breeds with it, will begin to see recessive expressions from the line, and will have to spend a few generations in selection before the traits of the original F1 are recaptured consistently within the gene frequency of a given seed stock. But by then the time will have elapsed from my seed release, and I will have had market differentiation long enough. Even if a F1 is reproduced and stabilized for its original desirable traits, it’ll lack the vigor of the original, as it was inbred. Would be hard to find a matching IBL to re-combine favorably to produce heterosis while staying true to type.

As well, if you have unreleased true breeding lines, it provides you with opportunity over decades. As other IBLs, landraces, heirlooms, and popular varieties come around, I will be able to breed with them to create exclusive hybrids. The reward for keeping my IBLs to myself for two decades, is that I have a handful of lines I can cross to anything else on the market, to create truly unique offerings. Again, the aim is long term market differentiation.

The only time my IBLs leave the property is in earlier filial generations; as F1s, F2s, F3s. Typically as testers or gifts or limited releases, before they are developed further. After I’ve bred past F3, the only inbred genetics that leave the property are plant starts gifted to my neighbours for personal flower production in their home gardens. It is mostly elderly folk who receive these plants, who know little about cannabis or breeding on the whole, and so would have no knowledge of the exclusivity of the genetics I routinely provide them, nor any incentive to reproduce seed from them.

In every sowing, it is my unselected plants which are distributed, while the most vigorous are kept. A network of cultivators, neighbours, and patients provide me with these satellite breeding opportunities; for whenever males appear, I am contacted to evaluate their potential. This has afforded me the liberty to begin more seeds without the emotional pang of culling the unchosen, while earning me good repute with the community, and expanding my selection process. As well, it is often neighbours who receive my plant starts that provide me with objective feedback.

My Hindu Kush and Lemon Zkittles seedlines have seen much better feedback. The GDP line, which this year is in its fourth filial generation, has only this year begun producing females with intersex traits at about a 5% rate among all females, and in sowing over 500 seeds this year, I have seen roughly 65% males. The GDP F4 seed stock is consistently showing two strong phenotypes, which I continue to segregate for inbreeding and backcrossing, to the ends of divergent parallel lines.

With two inbred GDP auto lines, I hope to afford myself flexibility in coming decades. I expect that the good work of many other breeders, over the years, will find itself in my gardens, readily accepting pollen from complimentary IBLs.

If everyone mixes all their colours together all day every day, all we end up being able to paint with is brown. (ie. Today’s market of predominantly OG Kush polyhybrids which make it hard to breed a differentiated strain.)

But if you save a few pure colours, you give yourself the palate to paint something new and vibrant.

Thought exercise: If you could travel forward in time to the year 2050 and pick out the best cannabis genetics, would you bring them back today and inter-cross them with 1980s, 1990s, and 2000’s gear we have today? Of course you would–in today’s market place, you’d have something exclusive–genetics from the future.

But we can’t bring them back. We can only bring things forward. So if I want to be the one who provides those crazy exclusive crosses of Today’s Weed x 2050’s Weed, I gotta put the work into preserving my lines. If I spend my whole career selling my in-bred seeds, there’ll be hundreds of people with hundreds of bottlenecked versions of my original lines; people who buy a handful of seeds and reproduce them, essentially creating largely inferior parallel lines.

But the genetic will exist and its reputation will be tied to my work/business, and every one of those narrowly-selected offshoots of my IBLs created throughout the decades (each saved and traded and resold and passed around; seed stock expanding exponentially) will risk undervaluing the current IBL stock I’m (hypothetically) selling. Why spend years creating a stable true breeding line, if every year along the way others have had access to your IBL and have flooded the market with lesser versions all bearing its name? You lose out on exclusivity and market differentiation.

In years to come I may find reward from my foresight, or may find that I have mismanaged an inheritance.

But right now anyone can find a Blueberry seed stock or cut, and a Super Silver Haze seed stock or cut, and bang them together and make another Blue Dream. The market is saturated with Blueberry descendants, for example. So today if I cross Blueberry to something else, what do I have? Another Blueberry cross–probably already very similar to someone else’s Blueberry cross. And who is going to come to me, for my Blueberry crosses–and why? Why not go to DJ Short for his Blueberry crosses, or one of the other thousand breeders offering Blueberry crosses?

Breeding outdoors in the PNW means very limited cycles per year, even with autoflowers. I can squeeze in three large population breeding rounds a year. If I did smaller populations, I could work with more genetics. But then I’d be reproducing more average genetics. What I’m using my space and time for is outliers. I want to sow large populations of a single line, find the ideal plants, and open pollinate them.

Given this is my production strategy, I give great consideration to the span of my life and the culmination of my breeding career. I realize that there are finite and somewhat few opportunities to select. Every planting site that is not an IBL selection site deprives me of opportunity to select. To achieve by the end of my life a contribution of significant value, I feel that I must make significant sacrifices along the way. I would very much like to offer my seed for sale and trade, to receive financial compensation and the emotional reward of seeing others’ joy in growing those seeds. It is more difficult to pay the bills for months through the period of cultivation, only to harvest a seed stock from hundreds of plants which you have decided not to sell or trade.

If one examines the motivations of a sole person, it may be easy to conclude that their motives are centered around vanity (reputation, legacy) and greed (profit, IP protection). These benefits to the Self may allure some cultivators to pursue this difficult road of breeding unreleased IBLs. But if one examines the opposite practice on a large scale, it is easy to imagine how genetic differentiation is greatly compromised; if everyone released every IBL, within a few decades everything of mainstream marketability would be genetically similar, as has happened today.

For example, it is hard to find legitimate Skunk #1 seeds, but it is also hard to find a popularized genetic which has not descended from Skunk #1; it is the IBL that was bred into almost everything and the original has almost been lost. Similar stories are abound with many of the lost/missing/endangered/rare 80s/90s IBLs; all largely disappeared into hybridized modern varietals.

If many of the IBLs from back then were unreleased and maintained purely, today’s cannabis scene would be totally different. Imagine how good it feels as a breeder and smoker to hear that some old hippy from the mountains has preserved old lines, and is releasing new F1 hybrids. It is a gift for the grower, and a boon to the breeder. But we don’t get that if there aren’t hermits hiding in holes, hoarding heaps of headstash seeds. A

The premise is similar to why we wrap presents and wait until a specific date to give them. Something special and intangible disappears when we just hand each other every gift we come across; it all becomes a mundane, muddled story.

And so I seek to save seeds and stories for another generation; one with an advanced botanical understanding of this plant, and the mature ideas on cannabis consumption and cultivation to appreciate its diversity. In today’s market, so many pearls are trammeled 'neath the swine. Just take a quick stroll through Strainly.io and look at all the Popular Polyhybrid Seed Salesmen, and all the niche unfrequented preservationists, and all the small-time dedicated breeders. The global cannabis market is clamouring to grab what’s shiny and simple, while ignoring the true phytochemical gems lurking in the gardens of OGs; the Pharmacopeias of Olde.

But yeah this GDP auto is setting seed for the 5th filial generation. And really I should denote it as either F5 or M3. But as far as smoke goes it is a mediocre plant. I’m doubtful it’ll really end up in my final roster of IBLs. I’m more likely to find existing IBLs and preserve them, while working on at most two or three good photoperiod IBLs. The autoflower breeding is largely a concession to the property and climate I currently reside in. So in the future, if I am certain that I will abandon the line, I’ll list my remaining seeds for sale/trade/gift.

TL;DR: You don’t want it and you can’t have it. But all its hybrids have potential and are up for grabs, every cycle along the way. I have some Lemon Zkittles x GDP (F4) and some Amethyst Hammer x GDP (F4) autoflower seeds that’ll be available in a few months after harvest and testing; they’re ripening now.

-Dr. Zinko

6 Likes

The man’s got a plan :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Mestizo When he eats Chinese food, he already knows what the fortune cookie is going to say before he even opens it!

2 Likes

If that Chinese food had a sprinkling of Philosophy PhD, peppered with some meditating guru, with a splash of Astro physics - Dr Z is a righteous man.

A good news update for sure.

The neighbours have moved into their new home and we have kept in touch. Recently they gifted me the remaining all-purple-from-seedling-emergence “Barney” seeds. I failed to germinate 18 of 18 of the first seeds they gave me. It appears there are a few seeds remaining, for me to try again. As well, they had a pill bottle full of mixed seeds they have acquired throughout the years; they say there is a good chance some Barney was mixed into there. It looks like I have a seed germination round for the known Barney ahead of me, to see if I can coax out any life from these 11-year-old seeds. Here are photos of the seeds as they sit in my office now, with a short video:

Then I will have a geno/pheno hunt, to see if I can find any Barney seeds from the mixed pile they provided, as well as examining the disparate plant expressions from unknown cultivars I’m sure to see (bag seed run). Anything with purple coloration will stay with me, while any unknown plants, once sexed, will be given to neighbours, who afford me small satellite breeding locations in the use of their gardens. If there is something exceptional, I may propagate from it as it stands in their gardens.

For example, this year two neighbours grew out several of Mestizo’s plants (he so generously provided seeds for me; all sired by a White Lotus x Jack Herer male he selected). I kept the three most promising plants, and have visited my neighbours to observe theirs develop. As well, another neighbour took on four of the Grand Daddy Purple x Purple Mexican Heirloom (KropDuster) females that showed no initial purple coloration, and are now flowering as large bushes planted in-ground. I have no desire to take cuttings or pollinate these plants, but they are better planted and maintained by local gardeners, growing our mutual raport, than being culled and composted at my site, as is usually done. The almost-interesting plants always manage seek last-chance refuge in the safety of neighbour’s and client’s back yards.

The GDP x P. Mex. Heirloom F1 selections I grew in my back yard were light deprived and finished flowering first week of August. They are harvested now and drying with the Headbanger to (White Lotus x Jack Herer) and the Lav. Jack to (White Lotus x Jack Herer) which Mestizo provided me. (A big thank-you; these are some great quality sensi headstash plants, I and neighbours are excited to try once properly cured.)

A big thank-you to Meztiso for his great selections and generosity in sharing seed. I wanted to breed for Lavender terpenes, and he approached me and offered to share work from his garden. I found the proclivity for drift toward the Jack Herer genetic to be so strong in my observation and the reports of others’, that I abandoned all breeding plans involving any Jack Herer heritage. The consequence is some nicely structured high yielding, surely potent headstash smoke. Grateful for your generosity, Meztiso–thank you.

Regarding the Purple Mexican Heirloom seeds I had started, with intention toward an Open Pollination seed increase, there are 4 males and 9 females in the 13-pack of seeds I acquired from KropDuster. Here are some video updates concerning this genetic:

I will be using these 4 males of Purple Mexican heritage in three crosses this month:
-Afghani #1 x Purple Mexican (A true F1 Hybrid)
-(Blueberry Dragon Fire x Sundae Driver S1) x Purple Mexican (A complex F1 Poly with heirloom heterosis)
-(Tangie Banana x True Love) x Purple Mexican (Another complex F1 Poly with heirloom heterosis)

And then of course the next Purple Mexican Heirloom open pollination filial generation (the number of which is unknown).

https://i.ibb.co/jJnRHq4/Blueberry-Dragon-Fire.jpg
Here are photos and two video updates of the Blueberry Dragon Fire x Sundae Driver selected from 130 seeds this January:

As teen sexed plant:
https://i.ibb.co/X4Mf1R2/IMG-3106.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/2g7RMJp/IMG-3102.jpg

As mature late-veg bush mother:

As preflower bush mother:

As pruned early flower mother:
https://i.ibb.co/DzztpNT/IMG-3262.jpg

General Plant Morphology:

Cuttings Taken:

Here are some photos and video of the Tangie Banana x True Love (seed generously provided by Magic G3n3tics)

Pruned preflower mother:

This Tangie Banana x True Love cross will be a shot in the dark pollen chuck. It came up with this nice structure and interesting purple coloration, and since Purple Mexican Heirloom pollen will be flying in the air, was invited to the garden. Was originally being tested for Magic G3n3tics as sensi. The other Tangie Banana x True Love are entirely green phenotypes and will remain sensi. There’s a video update involving the genetic on my channel, recently uploaded: https://youtu.be/25610HWxLM8

High hopes in:
-Having additional Purple Mexican Heirloom seed stock preserved, for larger pheno hunts (to find deep purple phenos)

-Bringing forward the Blueberry Dragon Fire x Sundae Driver’s most purple expression from the 130 F1 seeds; like its original deep purple mother, excited to see phenotypes of intense purples from the infusion of Purple Mexican Heirloom. This cutting is being kept for future breeding and will be provided to clients for commercial flower production (‘Ancient Free Gardeners’ licensed producers).

-The novelty of a purple expression in Tangie Banana x True Love; a unique mix of phenotypes is sure to come from this complex polyhybrid, now infused with true breeding heirloom genetics.

-The Purple Mexican Heirloom genetic, through a kept female or male cutting (unlikely that I keep any of these initial expressions; the next filial generation’s larger phenotype hunt should provide a stronger purple candidate for future breeding) and/or selection of progeny for breeding, is likely to repeatedly contribute superior structure, purple coloration and heterosis to future heirlooms.

-I’ll soon be working with Choco Chiba from Brazil Seed Co:

-Between Choco Chiba, Barney, and Purple Mexican, I will have three true-breeding purple genetics.

-Between the (Blueberry Dragon Fire x Sunday Driver) x P. Mex and (Tangie Banana x True Love) x P. Mex. polys I will find exceptional phenotypes for future breeding; be it back-crossing, selfing, or out-crossing again to the Barney or Choco Chiba.

-Among my autoflowering genetics, both the F5 Grand Daddy Purple Dwarf Purple autoflowering line and the (Sweet Amnesia x AK47) x GDP (F4) seed stocks will provide many autoflowering purple phenotypes to select from in future cycles. Several distinct purple autoflowering varieties will be offered in coming years.

-From the F1 Photoperiod x Autoflower cross of: (Grand Daddy Purple (Photo Cut) x Purple Mexican Heirloom) x GDP F4 Auto, I expect to find some wonderful photoperiod dominant expressions with deeper purple coloration and a faster flowering time, as well as some autoflowering expressions for backcrossing into the GDP F5 lineage in 2022. This will improve the overall contribution from GDP genetics in this line, while helping to add some vigor through heterosis in the recombining. It may be some years before progeny express day-neutral trait dominance consistently. While the line is backcrossed to GDP F5 seed stock, it will also be inbred for autoflowering trait, and once stabilized as an independant autoflower line, will be again back-crossed to original GDP stock; all generations including F1, F2, F3, F4, and F5+ GDP Auto will be available then; I am most likely to back-cross the (GDP x P.Mex.) x GDP F4 line (once stable) into an earlier filial generation of GDP Auto; most likely the F1 or F2 seed stock from 2018.

-The future potential for ‘Barney’ seeds to germinate/emerge and contribute to future purple held cuts, crosses is exciting. I hope I can impart this genetic into some autoflowering lines for improved distinction among existing purple cultivars.

-The Afghani #1 x Purple Mexican Heirloom is the first true F1 I will be releasing, and should make for some highly vigorous, pest resistant and pathogen resistant outdoor plants. Excited to see the expressions. The Afghani #1 is a compact bushy plant, while the Purple Mexican is very tall and lanky. The Afghani #1 creates large robust seeds, the size of corn kernals. I will keep both the father and mother alive until this seed stock is tested, and if a strong candidate, I will list these seeds for sale and reproduce them as true F1 offerings indefinitely. The Afghani #1 has been with me four years and will not be culled from the garden, so it is in my interested to find genetic pairings with it for seed production of known and reliable performance.

-Through all this elaboration of purple genetics in the coming years, the strongest candidates will be kept for indefinite cultivation and breeding. I must move onto another batch of genetics I have been storing. I began collecting purple genetics in 2016 and began breeding them in 2019, which ought to occupy my main focus until 2023 or later. As of 2020 I began collecting landraces and heirlooms from the Middle East and Asia, and will begin breeding them in future years, once this fascination with purple genetics recedes.

I expect these few years of breeding with primarily purple genetics (a simple observable trait) will benefit my first-hand understanding of inheritance. I don’t expect that purples will remain a specialty of mine indefinitely. It is just these recent years that I have tried to explore these colourations and hope to create something of exceptional quality to share.

Sorry for the delay in updates. I was without access to a camera until recently. Thank you for your time.

-Dr. Zinko

7 Likes

A quick look into the purple autoflowering projects I mentioned in passing:

https://i.ibb.co/TBKD1B1/GDP-Auto-F4-2.jpg
GDP F4 Female #6 - Four females from the first run of 300 seeds were selected for their single cola deep purple expressions. Two females from the second seed run of 200 were selected for the same traits. All were pollinated by pollen from a GDP F4 male selected for deep purple coloration, pictured here:

Purple Pheno #1
https://i.ibb.co/dG1bfPp/IMG-3281.jpg
Purple Pheno #2
https://i.ibb.co/6YmcxHJ/IMG-3271.jpg
Both Purple Phenos Side-by-Side

These (above) are two different females of Sweet Amnesia x AK47 generously gifted to me by Wendy, a private breeder in Texas. Of the 30 seeds I received and grew, only these two displayed this intense purple coloration. Both were hit by the GDP F4 purple single cola male pollen pictured above. These seeds from these two intense purple plants will be saved together and mixed.

This is a third Sweet Amnesia x AK47 plant, and the only other purple phenotype observed in the 30 seeds grown. It too was pollinated by the above pcitured GDP F4 male, and its seeds will be saved and grown separately from the two intense purple coloration phenotypes.

5 Likes