Hubbabubbasmelloscope x Sundae Driver (S1 Open Pol.) - 'F1' Selections (2021)

PART 1

In Summer 2019 I consulted for a LP startup on Vancouver Island. A substantial seed budget ($10k US) was afforded the head grower to acquire exclusive genetics in an outdoor phenotype hunt. The seeds were largely purchased from Speakeasyseedbank. Two packs of Cannarado’s “Sundae Driver (S1)” were germinated. From among the 20+ plants three male expressions were found. This “S1” release by Cannarado has been highly criticized, as many have claimed to found Males in what should be Selfed (and therefore female) seeds; pollen contamination from a male was suspected. However, with an understanding of genetics, one knows this is not necessarily the case; such a complex polyhybrid with demonstrable instability (many growers report “hermie” issues in growing the Black Sheep Cup Cut of Sundae Driver) is completely fecund in its ability to produce true males. Any S1 of a genetic which has been observed to express intersexual traits is prone to producing males or true hermaphrodites in Selfing. Regardless, no genetic testing was done and the potential mystery progenitor is not identified beyond the assurances of Cannarado and several growers of the SD (S1) seed stock.

The three males were #1, #2, and #7 are pictured below:

The quality of these images is so terrible because they are cropped screen caps from a YouTube video I uploaded which captured the males on camera. Unfortunately, as these males were identified for their special genetics (there was great excitement among our team) they too were forgotten when we properly doccumented the 25+ other chosen males from the 600+ seed population. To review our selection efforts and near-thorough doccumentation, I have made the selections available for public view on my Google Drive:

001 Tropaya (Peach Rings)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14Rr4SV6wvVevGbb4mEdQMkgWlU5Nfyks?usp=sharing

002 Tropaya
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x-CoHIrXr0goH8XfJUICMbOW-P6GEmHS?usp=sharing

003 707Chemdawg
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hELyJTKyS6rXE4hVnNKoJzRpubsB6VaM?usp=sharing

004 Mint Julep (F2)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1llFQSB77dOk6lTJ8sxW6V6_ocP-v9nNS?usp=sharing

005 Firedawg
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gwfpPsGJxapukKaLEcvFMoM6DQ0Z0PGA?usp=sharing

006 Deadhead OG
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fyfZqM_n94MYpwK4MrNUvJI3C8DbCbFC?usp=sharing

007 Mint Sours
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uPaKt6UMOUQdqQzcxyduVPpFzcgfhVAP?usp=sharing

008 Yuck Mouth
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1a26_GtLRy-a6eHXooxi1qJpOdcEPNRDY?usp=sharing

009 Tropicanna Cookies (F2)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/107_99444DCRepQkbzeHo3y0TlW-iRpI5?usp=sharing

010 Guerilla Fume
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14L10HyEn31BfsAGchNCI06KxckorAZ5Z?usp=sharing

011 Slice Cream Cake
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1u9KVo5t4a1TeQ68FJgBt-Dp0gS_-Y4Ov?usp=sharing

012 Cat Piss
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JJo1wQGAk--2040v1eTRwa1wVGI50Zml?usp=sharing

013 Sour Larry Lime Pebbles #4
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aWL2WrC_rofaZQBUYU2S50lZYGjW0Iog?usp=sharing

014 Lemon Heads
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JenntvsGNLTkoJZAHewyNMMyzZW9ODet?usp=sharing

015 Do-si-do
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1L5FC-Z9WJ9zP09qRKquad-TyDCUx1Enl?usp=sharing

016 Finnish Frost
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nlR950Y_Xzw8PzhdbYJFojjeKykNfJTh?usp=sharing

017 Pink Sweets #6
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1t1t_8zl8eXECCN7smiYvYAL1uHxhTVhv?usp=sharing

018 Sky Cuddler Double Kush (F3)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18G3kGwOxlsukR3OZMX8-V19XWdn49z-o?usp=sharing

Each of the above males were used in one-off crosses with Death Bubba, GSC, Afghani Lemon Haze, and others. Excess collected pollen was sold via Strainly.io (user seven_trees) throughout September to October 2019. ($100 US / vial; one vial per male sold to maintain exclusivity for breeder interest.)

PART 2

In Autumn that same year (2019) I was gifted an 18-pack of Hubbabubbasmelloscope seeds by my mother (Happy Birthday to me.). I grew them out in 1gallon fabric pots SoG style on the floor (aisles) of my veg room.

On a whim, I pollinated several of my favorites, based solely on early-flower terpene expressions. I used a combined equal mixture of Sundae Driver #1, #2, and #7 pollen to perform a Hubbabubbasmelloscope x Sundae Driver (S1) selected open pollination; three females by three males.

Below are my notes regarding the #7 and #2 males:

"The #7 is really what’s special here. It’s puke. That’s it. You stem rub it, and vomit. Clear as day–someone puked on the side of the road, and it’s under your nose.

The #2 is sweet smelling, got a vanilla ice cream with a hint of lemon backdrop going on."

There are no notes in my records of the Hubbabubbasmelloscope females. From memory I recall they were bubblegum, strawberry creme savers type range of terpenes. Very sweet and candy. I enjoyed the small yield of dry sift from them all combined. Records are further lacking with no photos of their flowering or growth; a novelty and gift I had supposed, and did not think to record it as thoroughly as an intentional project.

A year went by as I continued to work on my day-neutral Tangie, Granddaddy Purple, Hindu Kush, Purple Kush, and Skunk #1 lines. These are all regular autoflowering genetics I am currently working forward from F2s to F5s. As well, a large effort was devoted to hunting through a CBD Blueberry stock I had hopes in, but was found to be of no value. (The Blueberry was entirely absent and the floral morphology was too poor for anything but hashish production.)

This winter, with 2020 coming to a close, I began searching for a complimentary autoflowering genetic to hybridize with one of the two terpene expressions my GDP line was showing; a Skunkier foul smelling expression and a lighter grapey fruity expression. My intention is to work forward the GDP line into grape and purple coloration. From the population I wish to remove all skunkier phenos and create a second divergent line.

Looking through my spreadsheets, I noticed a small inventory (30 seeds) of a cross I had not remembered: the Hubbabubbasmelloscope x Sundae Driver S1 open pollination.

I sowed all 30 in the two preceding days of Aries before the Full Moon on November 30th. Seedling emergence occurred in concert on the full moon day, November 30th. All thirty germinated successfully.

I’ve since been growing these plants inside my home, in a large soaker tub in the upstairs guest bathroom. It has been nice to have plants inside, and I find I am spending more time in this bathroom than the master; I even moved my hygiene products there and now merrily brush my teeth as I see them growing behind me in the mirror each morning and evening.

PART 3

I started in 1GAL 5" Square pots with an 11/13 schedule for several reasons:

1. I expected some number of the plants to be photoperiod dominant in their expression, and sought to sex and remove these as early as possible.
  2. DJ Short has spoken of this light schedule used from-seed as producing more NLD (narrow-leaf drug type) phenotypes.
  3. I preferred that the indoor grow would not affect my sleep or draw inordinate attention to my upstairs bathroom window.

To my surprise, the entire population was day-neutral dominant. I quickly (within 20 days) had sexed all thirty and culled 10 of the 14 males. In the coming weeks I transplanted ten selected females into 2gallon pots and identified and segregated two males for flowering in a small 18"x36" tent.

The 18"x36" Vivosun tent (originally purchased as a “time out tent” for training our dog not to bark at strangers) has no fans or ventilation except for the action of convection current; and so the light schedule in the tent is set to 15-on 15-off, for 20 hours each day; followed by 4 hours off. This allowed the inexpensive (somewhat of a fire hazard) 50W Cob LEDs I foolishly purchased to cool adequately without exhaust. I’ve been pleased that pollen collection is going well, despite the complete lack of airflow save convection current. I wonder if the plants think they are living in a very oddly cloudy part of the world.

Today I have used pollen from both selected males to pollinate the earliest three females. In the coming weeks I will continue to harvest and apply pollen to the HBSxSD127 females as each reaches appropriate maturity.

What began as a novelty in my mind has now gotten me rather excited. I have smelled a great diversity of terpenes; from mature aloe, to mint, to ammonia, to candy, to puke, to vanilla. I am very excited to have these several HBSxSD17 (F2) populations to choose from; including one highly vigorous tall growing phenotype with impressive lateral branching. (Sure to be an outdoor 2021 candidate.)

Overall I am sure I’ll have great stock this summer–as well as some leftover F1 HBSxSD127 male pollen–to inter-cross with my now F3 and F4 GDP lines.

Thanks for reading. I’ll be happy to update this thread with my results as they unfold. My hopes are in isolating a Pure Puke selection next round, for cross into the Skunkier/Funkier GDP phenos which express. As well, I am hoping some of the potency and sweeter terpene profiles may recombine favorably with a GDP grape selection. And finally, it was the SD Blacksheep Cup Cut which shows hues of black in its floral morphology; I hope to incorporate some of these darker colours to produce purple-black expressions in the new ‘F1’ cross. ie. GDP Dark Purple Pheno x (HBSxSD127 Dark Pheno)

Thanks for reading!
-Dr. Zinko

19 Likes

I’ve now updated my Google Drive with photos of the current cycle:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OhKc60-cjCRYuqQ-mcgspugOxHr5OtkF?usp=sharing

Sorry for the off-site links. I see that this website is under some heavy traffic. I thought it best not to upload too many photos.

5 Likes

Ill be the first to pull up the ol’ lawn chair :sunglasses:
Really like what I’ve read, this should be a very interesting thread. Vomit phenos are always fun

3 Likes

I will be along for the ride here as well!!

2 Likes

Only have enough coin for the cheap seats, but the view should be ok. Super good luck on your efforts. ALL, do continue to take care, stay EXTRA safe and, indeed, be well…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :fireworks: :fireworks:

2 Likes

So what’s your end goal.

4 Likes

Well, I hold some rather complex beliefs about the underlying mechanisms of reality which presuppose me to accept: that there is no goal.

But my mind is set on selecting for the following experience:

An elderly woman–perhaps your mother, or a neighbourly lady–hears about some “sweet” cannabis seeds from a friend; and comes to plant a few of them in her garden. The plants grow vigorously, quickly standing tall (at 4’ to 5’ height by maturation), making great use of the sun’s generous intensity/penetration.

She comes to love the plant(s) for its natural beauty and prominence among her garden, even among prior cannabis she has grown. She adores its classic pine tree shape so typical of narrow-leafed equatorial types, with its sturdy candelabra lateral branches. As flowers begin to form, the central stalk’s apical meristem’s internodal spacing begins to tighten up as the floral clusters fill in, leaving at most a half-inch between each floral site; enough to use the sunlight well (volumetric yield), enough to feel the air (reduces mold/pest pressures).

As the flowers near harvest in late August (if direct sown in mid-late May) she notices the most peculiar thing: the flowers smell like her grandkid’s dirty diaper! Pungent and gut wrenching, she calls her friend and tells her to visit. Over the next week or two, she eagerly shares the peculiar odours with her neighbours and friends. In fact, as the plant pass peak harvest and undergoes senescence, she gleefully watches and smells to see what it will do next. An acrid array of ever-rottening and fermented sour smells bloom forth.

And still, she watches. The rains come and September passes. She holds out for sunny days, and is reluctant to see her plant go. As October arrives, and the genetic is well past its peak harvest, the frigid days of PNW overcast bring first signs of mold. She picks it out here and there, and even shakes her off after every rainfall. A mild sunny stretch in November–those clear cool days on the coast–soon snap her out of it. One morning the sun is out and she sees her garden–totally bare, except for the one cannabis plant remaining; totally blackened and purpled and redened from phosphorous immobility and other biological dormancies of an encroaching winter. She sees the clear bright sun cast on her plant–and it sparkles. She thinks for a moment they are trichomes, only until she realizes she can see her breath; they are frost. She panics and realizes she’s waited too long! She runs in to get her slippers on and finds her loppers–the medium size pair she uses for the rose bushes–and rushes out to harvest.

While most of the outter trichomes are lost to weather, and the phytochemical composition has changed unpredictably, the plant was a survivor for flavor. And for years in her mind she will always remember three things:

1. The Vigour
  2. The Sturdiness/Hardiness/Resistance
  3. The Unusual (fascinating!) Terpenes

So while I’ll be selecting as such:

HBS x SD127
-Line 1: Poo diaper and tall phenos with lat. branching segregated for outdoor stank
-Line 2: Ice Cream / Vanilla phenos appropriate for SoG (squat single cola growth) segregated for indoor flavor
-Line 3: Bazooka Joe / Hubba Bubba Bubblegum auto line (separate project)
I’ve got a Bodega Bubblegum x Nigerian Sunshine (both Bubblegums) keeper cut (photo) and some more Hubbabubbasmelloscope fem auto seeds to use for backcrossing the Bubblegum line.

GDP x Skunk
-This auto line is also segregated into two parallel lines: Skunky (f5) and Grapey (f3). “End goal” is to work the Skunky-dom GDP line (while maintaining purple) into a stable IBL (not for release). This line can be grown out at scale and the best “skunky” males/females can be selected for a true F1 cross with the above HBSxSD127(Poo) project.

By having parallel lines of everything (segregated by terps or growth environment) I can interbreed them to themselves for heterosis (for a round of Fem seed production) or with one another for true F1 releases.

I’m always going to provide Reg seed, so people can make their own seeds; but will not release my breeding lines as reg. My breeding lines (all paralleled) can be interbred for a F1 with heterosis which I can select from for multiple in-field reversals (ie. leasing a satellite breeding location for a specific seed batch). Then my pure lines stay private, while their F1 versions are used to select for fem. seed production.

But yeah, my goal in mind is always from two perspectives:

1. What the end user’s experience is going to be like; what I want to craft for them. Like the soundtracks of our lives, a particular plant in a particular season can be a milestone or memory or high point for someone; that experience is sacred and I seek to provide seeds which make lasting impressions. For example, to (decades later in life) remember a specific year as, “It was that year I grew _______.”

2. What is best for my longevity and eventual obituary.

I guess the end end goal might be having a handful of seeds from every line I worked, blooming on my grave in a bouquet jungle. I won’t be around to appreciate the juxtaposition. Then again, “the end end” isn’t such an end after all; more of a beginning really.

I think I want to be a seed.

10 Likes

Would that be how big breeders are producing large amounts of seeds? Creating 2 IBL and then crossing? Teach me more. Please.

I’ve kept a line going, but I’m just starting to dabble into actual breeding (and not just narrowing my selection and continuing) with an idea of what I want to make happen.

Pulling up a seat!

2 Likes

Beautiful, beautifully put. Many breeder wait until a either a need or problem occurs. I think your approach is best because of your thinking ahead approach.
I too run parallel lines. You have to a line to breed your creation to… why not make a secondary line that hold the same traits. The idea is to renew, without having to recreate. Thank you for replying.

2 Likes

Well said, in succinct fashion. I think I’ll borrow that! The idea is to renew, without having to recreate. I wonder if planets are managed similarly?

But yes sct2020, I believe most breeders in modern horticulture use parallel lines. One reason I preach, “Learn to grow and breed Tomatoes, not Weed” is partly a prohibition-era nod (in jest), but also largely good advice. Studying how plants work (physiologically) and the knowledge of breeding them (at scale using traditional selective breeding methods)–then translating that knowledge into a Cannabis context, yields much greater understanding and success.

Maybe that’s too wordy! I’ll try to put it how Blu-Tri might sum it up:

The idea is that a lot of passionate (non-cannabis) plant professionals haven’t had to fear unlawful arrest and detainment for studying, propagating, and spreading research for the plants they love!

Darn–I (still) did not communicate as concisely as I had hoped!

I’m only a “professional” in the sense that I quit my day job and have been “breeding full time” for a little over a year. I still work on a small scale and am learning about the plant along with everyone else =) I just found a lot of good stuff in older breeding/botany textbooks from the 1920s to 1960s; and from University publications about similar annual flower/grain crops. Google Scholar is a great tool, and many Universities now offer tremendous educational resources online (in video format) for free! I’ve been watching a ton presentations and lectures and panels on regenerative agriculture, soil food web, land stewardship/management, breeding, chemistry, and so on.

For example, a great public (agriculturally related) resource I found in 2016 mentioned farmers saw an 8% yield bump in Corn with a single application of Cod Liver oil at only 100ml/1000L. That is like super dillute (affordable) so I tried it out on a farmer’s Blueberrys; we put it in the irrigation in March and that year he nearly hit world-record sized blueberries, having several 12gram and a single 14.1gram specimen! These blueberries were almost golf balls! So yeah, now I use a bit of Cod Liver oil in a compost tea for soil drench once a year at least. A few years later, about 2019, I read another article that complex fatty acid chains are precursors for fungal development, which facilitate the uptake of phosphorous! So that cod liver oil fed the microbes which fed the plants.

7 Likes

This is some great work that you are sharing. I too wondered about the missing fat in my grow regime. It is my thinking that plants are like people than we think. As people need fat, so do plants. I see people who use fish emulsion fertilizer do really great. I know fish emulsion don’t have fat, but I’m sure some residuals are in there.

2 Likes

Yeah actually, Breeder Steve tells a great story in a podcast interview with Potent Ponics. He recounts using fish emulsion and rockwool and noticing a distinct sharp taste from the fish–then later, a grower meets Steve and opens his backpack, and before even a zip is opened, Steve goes, “Do you grow with fish emulsion?” and the guy’s face goes pale and blank instantly. And the grower says, “Every year me and my brother throw a fish in the bottom of every hole!” and Steve maintains he can smell it distinctly.

Likewise, Kevin Jodrey recalls the distinct taste imparted by bat guano from the late 80s early 90s, when natural deposits were more rich. Several growers notice distinctly the taste of molasses or certain nute lines. I myself notice GH, Botanicare and Flora. 20+ year old ages chicken manure was said to be similar to 80s/90s guano.

There are all these specific inputs, with specific compounds in different concentrations, which nourish different biology in specific ways, to drive population shifts and specific plant response in morphology and/or secondary metabolite production. As well, humidity, temperature, harvest timing and handling each to a degree determine what compounds are retained for the consumption of the end user.

There are still some mysteries, but there is a clue in that both well-aged chicken manure, and well-aged bat manure each caused similar taste, by Jodrey’s account. And so we can look at what biology is commonly present in 20-year old bird or rodent feces; that is, which microbial populations predominate. And we can maybe learn to culture and suspend and apply those populations, to illicit the flavor profile responses we desire through trial and preference.

I’ve digressed! I’m here to share some photos! I’ll make another post. So greedy I am =)

-Dr. Z

5 Likes

Alright, full moon and day 90 approaches. I harvested some adequately ripened seeds. It is ideal for see quality considerations to let the seed remain on the plant until curing has finished, however I removed some splitting bracts to photograph.

Here is a rather late and disorganized update. I’ll try my best to sequence these photos in order of plant growth:

(Above Image) - I don’t know why the nickname–just popped into my head as I saw that she, of the batch, was the only one with such unusually deep serrate and twisted foliage. So she also was thefirst to show sex, and the third to ripen seed.

(Above Image) - The first male to show (#4).

(Above Image) - #12 Female ended up being the first to ripen seed.

(Above Image) - #13 Female

(Above Image) - #14 Female

(Above Image) - #16 Female

(Above Image) - #17 Female

(Above Image) - #18 Female

(Above Image) - #19 Female

(Above Image) - #20 Female

Below are the 10 Autoflowering Females from 30 Auto x Photo seeds:

Here are 25 of the 28 seedlings (3 not pictured) of 30 seeds germinated (28/30):

Culling the odorless males, from 22 to 13:

Here are some flower shots:

#1 Profile (Below):

#9 Profile D68 (Below):

#12 Budshot D80 (Below):

#13 Budshot D68 (Below):

#14 Profile D68 (Below):

#14 Budshot D68 (Below):

#16 Profile D68 (Below):

#17 Female D68 (Below):

#17 Female D80 (Below):

#17 Budshot D80(Below):

#20 Budshot D80 (Below):

2 Likes

And some late photographs from today:

Edit: Bracts photos were taken awhile ago, not Feb 24th.

11 Likes

The F1 seed stock was entirely autoflowering. The F2 Open Pollination seed stock is also entirely autoflowering. I’ve given the seeds out as testers to several clients. A family member grew a pack in rockwool cubes nested in coco coir bags in a hydroponic solanacae greenhouse, and saw good yields, structure, and strong terpenes of vanilla ice cream, bubblegum. One client grew out a small number and found a single plant which exhibits fast-flowering trait (photoperiodism) with oddly asymmetrical phylotaxy, and they have cloned it for commercial production; in decades of cultivation he claims its structure is unlike any plant he has seen, and it produces such profuse lateral branching with sufficient inter-nodal spacing that no training or defoliation is necessary in his system. In my outdoor soil grow of 200+ of these F2 seeds, a few have shown susceptibility to powdery mildew, but it has not progressed as environmental conditions were alleviated. As well, in the family member’s hydroponic greenhouse grow, and in the F1 generation grown in my dwelling, there have been botrytis issues with floral clusters. In both cases the botrytis was excised and did not spread rapidly enough to affect more than 3-5% of harvest yields. This genetic prefers an environmentally controlled space. I am not confident in recommending it for a late-summer outdoor grow, but feel a May sowing in the PNW would bring it through to harvest under great conditions and without issue, given appropriate culture and technique. (Proper watering without wetting leaves.)

Here are some current photographs, taken yesterday, of the F2 seed population in early flower:

Profile #1:

Profile #2:

Profile #3:

Profile #4:

Underside #1:

Underside #2:

Silhouette:

Some video footage:
HBS X SD - Late July

HBS X SD - Mid August

The terpenes are delicious smelling; bubblegum and vanilla ice cream mostly, with a few sweet-funk foul phenos; as the trichomes develop I hope to place more specific odours. For now, these foul phenotypes do not smell like the puke/vomit or fetal-fecal smells found from the original photoperiod Sundae Driver fathers, #1 and #7. Really have some great sweet smells coming from this autoflower, and they are the same smells found in the hydroponic greenhouse crop, give or take some subtleties.

As you can see, the structure expressions are consistent. Lots of lateral branching in a classic X-Mas tree shape, with good internodal spacing. Very resinous flowers for so early in floral stage. These organic flowers, which are a sensi test of the F2 seed stock, will be compared side-by-side with the hydroponic chelated rockwool+coco coir greenhouse cannabis flowers harvested two weeks ago. The hydro greenhouse grown will have a 90 day cure advantage, so the organic sun grown will be tested again with notes at a similar stage of cure. So far preliminary observations indicate that the terpene and morphological expressions from both systems are the same. Considering the F2 has produced 100% autoflowering phenotypes in my garden, and only one reported non-autoflowering phenotype was observed in testing from six sources, I have decided to list these F2 seeds for sale. I am pleased with their expressions; the vigor, structure, and smell is fabulous. A good job, resultant from some luck and incredible source genetics. Big thank-you to Mephisto for breeding Hubbabubbasmelloscope, and to Cannarado for their S1 preservation of the Black Sheep Cup winning cut of Sundae Driver (#19).

Powdery mildew and botrytis bud rot susceptible in +70% RH conditions. Perfect for controlled indoor environments and arid outdoor regions, or early-summer PNW cultivation.

3 Likes

Thank you for all the detailed posts !
I enjoyed reading the entire project.

Where would I be able to acquire all three lines of the HBS x SD127 ? They all sound fascinating to me. Especially the line 1