Battling Aeration issues?

Hi, so I have a journal here:
Basically I’m growing peat/vermiculite/perlite
At a ratio 50/40/10. Humidity usually doesn’t rise above 65% or below 45% and temp fluctuate in the 72 to 78F. But some of my plants seem to be constantly droopy specially after watering (I could have been overwatering but last time I watered they were def super light). Thing is, usually new growth is fine and bottom leaves droop, specially after watering and they really stay that way and bounce slowly after days. I’m thinking aeration of the medium is bad maybe ? Calcium?

2 Likes

This is them right now

3 Likes

What’s the thinking behind so much vermiculite?

3 Likes

It was the medium laid out by Brue Bugbee on his videos I added 10% perlite to increAse aeration. Originally it should be 50/50

How long are you going between watering?

I don’t use vermiculite, I figure my peat mix holds enough water on its own.

3 Likes

For the life of me I cannot see how that is an over-watering issue with that mix in cloth pots. The lower leaves do look ‘over-watered’ but… :thinking:

Did you up-pot? If so, how did the root structure look?

Cheers
G

1 Like

Yeah vermiculite seems to be very unpopular in forums. And from the looks I think I’m seeing why. He (bugbee) said that ratio would be airy enough and hold the right water.

Las time the one gallons went 6 (almost 7) days without watering

1 Like

I pot up on the 22 from solos to 1 gal and 3 (autos on 3). The roots on all seemed white and and they went int circles at the bottom (toward the bottom they were a lil more beige than white)

2 Likes

There are lots of variables like temp and plant/pot size ratio but that sounds like a long time for them to stay wet.

Are you watering to run off? Maybe try watering at half your usual volume? Aim to water every 3-4 days or so?

1 Like

Water to get 20% runoff. I’m thinking of stabbing the medium a little bit. But I will wait and try less water next time (10% run off)

1 Like

I might try cutting the water back even further. Like figure out how much water your pot will hold and then only give it half that.

I don’t do it this way but if your soil is a sponge it might work for you.

Best of luck.

1 Like

I use black gold soil don’t add anything to it except nutes
People add way to many things to soil…keeping
It simple is the way to go well
For
Me anywayz

2 Likes

Less is more for me right now as well. My soil mix seems to be pretty fine on its own. Adding nutes (like I did a few months back) only burned my ladies. Got it dialed in and haven’t had to add nutes this run and my ladies are green green green :smiley:

I needed more perlite, and a bit of sand to loosen and aerate my black dirt, but it seems to be working now :smiley:

@the_bot if your mix is too heavy, and roots not getting enough oxygen, the leaves can look like that. vermiculite and perlite doesnt sound heavy, but it has the capacity to hold water for sure. Have you lifted the pots, felt how heavy they are? I find mine, even with soil, to be kinda light when the plants are happiest…

Maybe try watering slower, I do it with a 2 gallon sprayer, and less??

1 Like

this is a tough problem, it could be vermiculite but I doubt it - even though it holds water it’s still bulky and allows water to drain through quickly. I’ve been experimenting w/ vermiculite and every time I increase it things go well. Currently I"m using about 15% Vermiculite 15% perlite in my peat-based mix.

I’ve noticed that if nutes are off or another problem the leaves droop after watering. My last mix was too hot w/ nutes and minerals and the leaves would droop after watering and stay that way for a long time. The pH of the soil was also too low. Can you tell us what nutrients are in the mix?? *edit, I just checked your other thread, every seems fine, hmmmmm don’t know what causing it

1 Like

What you describe sounds like what I’m having. It may be an issue with nutes (the bigger gallons runoff ppm was on point, but the 1 gal ones were up by 200ppm, indicating buildup maybe). And I think my ph was a bit too high going in (high 6, I have changed to low 6. I will take a closer look at runoff ppm next time on those pots. it does help a lot to know from another person growing in peat. Thank you !!

Thanks! I do feel I’ve been watering too quickly maybe and that compacted my peat ? (I don’t do soil it’s only peat and vermiculite/perlite) I will water slowly next time.

Also regarding lifting the pots yup, I waited until they were very light this time before watering

I have had the droopy leaf condition due to low rh, and some plants suffered more than others grown together. I use 5gal cloth pots and water 0.4litres when the base of the pot is just moist, usually every other day at the most, my mix is potting soil with 25% perlite. Hope that helps mate.

1 Like

When I used to run hempies with Vermiculite, I’d always have similar issues with things being over watered… The Peat moss will hold its own with water alone. You can use HP Pro Mycorrhizae by itself and get great results :+1: No real need for the Vermiculite or Pearlite as I’ve found out myself the hard way as well.

The only thing I’d suggest at this point is either place a fan blowing over the soil bags to speed up drying out 2-3 days time frame between watering. Or transplant into HP Promix Mycorrhizae and give them time to bounce back.
It’s also possible that your given too much water since that is easy to do.

3 Likes

I think vermiculite is something that raises pH too, so maybe going to 40% was messing w/ the pH too much. Bugbee in Utah uses extra-coarse vermiculite (watched his video), it’s hard to find, most vermiculite sold is finer grade intended for seed starting.

3 Likes

So… I don’t like leaving a thread without some conclusion if I’m the OP.

1. I adjusted VPD I think my rh & temp relation was off.
  2. I’ve stopped being an animal and I have watered slowly now.
  3. I adjusted ph to 6 (and made sure I stayed within proper ppm)
  4. I turned down the lights a bit

While I’m not claiming my victory (and some leaves are still droopyish) things have been different. I see them perked up and the color is lighter but still green and vibrant (I think I had a n toxicity with dark leaves).

I hope things stay in this direction. Thank you everyone!

6 Likes