BeagleZ Corner

Seawater? :grin:
I’d give it a shot. :joy:

@LegsMahoney Using organic flour would help too…

3 Likes

I do use organic flour, just no bottled water, just gotta keep at it, I’m sure I can figure it out if I fail enough times

6 Likes

That’s the spirit Legs!

I think bread baking is my next rabbit hole to explore. I’ve been baking pies, deserts and other assorted confections for some time now. Maybe someone with more experience could start a bread baking thread?

5 Likes

That no till thread on grasscity is basically half weed-growing, half bread-baking, for the first 40 or so pages at least:

I can cook like a motherfucker, but I suck at baking, probably because I don’t LOVE baking as much as I do cooking, but one of my first jobs ever was as a bread baker apprentice. That was one of my favorite jobs I’ve ever had, loved it so much, but having to get up at 4:15am to get there at 5am five mornings a week kinda ruined it for me… I thought they were crazy for even hiring a 21-year-old, expecting me to be there at 5am every morning and shit… haha.

6 Likes

Two of my favorite things in one place! I’ll definitely check it out. Thanks @minitiger!

2 Likes

Yo @BeagleZ i don’t know if you’ve seen this yet or not, but I just watched the BAS video w/ miles from weed should taste good and was pretty stoked on the info, I know you’re in the process of falling down a KNF hole so I figured you’d dig it too:

6 Likes

And a good day to you sir,
Thanks for the share @LegsMahoney! I hadn’t seen that video. I made a comfrey concoction last fall, by adding comfrey, water and labs in a 5 gal bucket and let it liquify and ferment. My comfrey is coming up this spring for the first real growing season. I had carted them around for months while moving last year and didn’t get them planted till early fall.

My first breakfast hippy speedball ( Ethiopian blend and Sunshine Queen) is hitting hard this morning, so I might just be ramblin’. Ha!

6 Likes

Oh damn crunch that’s the way to go! I’m on some random thrive blend coffee and a random hashplant vape cart right now, very low rent type morning. I’m actually germing some comfrey seeds as we speak. Planning to plant them around the property. I’m curious what the difference is between an FPJ and and FPE, I thought I heard em say that they add water to the FPE, not sure if I imagined that or not

4 Likes

I really haven’t researched too much into KNF, so I’m not the one to ask. I thought the FPE was with water and the FPJ was with sugar, but maybe it’s the other way around. I did check their website for a recipe and they have one listed. How to Use Fermented Plant Extract | Probiotics | Growing Organic

FYI you want the Bocking-14 comfrey which comes as root cuttings. I believe Bocking breed it this way so the shit wouldn’t spread everywhere, cause once it’s rooted its there for good. Similar to horsetail, where the tiniest little piece, will regrow and spread. I believe the bocking-14 cuttings you get are from Bocking himself, just many generations down the line. Pretty cool stuff!

5 Likes

I got the comfrey seeds cause I was honestly thinking it might be nice to just let it go a little wild in the wooded portion of the property, but you think that it might just take over if it’s not the blocking cut you’re mentioning?

5 Likes

I’ve moved bocking-14 comfrey quite a few times. There are many strategies for getting rid of it that work quite well, but the biggest problem people run into is when they try to rototill an area that has comfrey’s deep roots. Comfrey propagates very easily by root fragment and root division. Non-sterile comfrey just exacerbate this “problem”. Your results may vary of course.

5 Likes

Ha! I started it last night after a Frutti ST cone and fell asleep pretty fast. Will finish it up tonight and then we will shall discuss :wink:
Thanks for the heads up, it’s a good one from what I did see. Glad it’s not one of those product “highlight” ones

@CrunchBerries , your right. Extract uses water.

4 Likes

You joke but there is some validity to this.

Different styles of beer originated in different parts of the world with different water profiles. British tends to be hard and lends itself to ales and pilsners came from areas of soft water.

If you are making certain styles it is advisable to replicate the water as much as possible.

I imagine the same goes for bread.

4 Likes

Honestly not sure or don’t remember. Ha! Remember your quote about learning something and then forgetting.

It’s been a while since I researched the stuff, but I remember that bockings-14 is what you want either because of the sterile seeds or because the variety does what we want. Comfrey is a bioaccumulater so the roots go deep and accumulate the micronutrients that other plants can’t get to. That’s also why it’s nearly impossible to get rid of once it’s established. I guess if you didn’t have any other plans for that area it would be cool, but seeds do carry in the wind or from birds.

Off to the Google machine!

3 Likes

I’ll have to look into it too, we have a wooded section of the property that’s full of diseased beech and beech saplings. Beech bark beetle disease is gnarly up here, so my idea was to start propagating things like Comfrey and alfalfa in that area, but if I’m playing with fire direct seeding comfrey maybe I’ll just keep ‘em in 5 gal buckets and get the sterilized cutting

4 Likes

Comfrey is extremely productive and propagates ridiculously easy. Leaf cuttings, root division, root fragments, you name it. I get at least 3 chops to the ground per year on mine. I definitely agree with @CrunchBerries that Bocking-14 is the superior choice so that you don’t wind up with a monumental task in the future if you have to get rid of it for whatever reason. It’s easy to plant more. It also does fine in pots but may require more frequent cutbacks, I’ve had some in a 30GAL fiber pot and 15gal regular pot for a few years.

You can carefully dig them out of the ground or build a hot compost pile on top of them, but if you have a whole field full of wild comfrey it becomes trickier… Landscape fabric maybe?

If you’re vigilant by depriving new growth after digging the upper root mass out you can successfully “kill” it. The problem is when you have large areas full of it. Low numbers of bocking14 are definitely manageable if you don’t rototill the area.

5 Likes

Good stuff! Thanks @syzygy !
My head is full! Off to run errands and wear out the baby bean!

3 Likes

Funny because my dad has had the same comfrey plant for 30 years or so and I was going to get a chunk to start growing on my property along with some other plants/herbs he has had for the same amount of time. Everything was kept and planted at his new place when he moved there a number of years ago.

Interested to get some things going. Also really want to start some LABS, not sure what method I want to go with though heh.

5 Likes

Spray some IMO all over and see if it helps :+1::+1:

1 Like

If you have rice and milk your all set.
You can also use potato water or pasta water

2 Likes