Best Practices Discussion: Improving plants

Here is a picture of a male I plan to use for breeding.
My contribution in this post discusses my particular goal of finding Haze-like plants. Maybe you have advice on how to better grow the plant, that would be an improvement compared to growing it without that specific knowledge.
When choosing breeding stock, both strategy and tactics have to be considered. Take this example: Finding an outstanding Haze plant. Some will go and find all possible source lines and breed them together in open pollination with the goal of preserving all possible resultant traits. To my thinking, this is the wrong way round. Rather, the better strategy would be to find the best bred line first (or several quality lines), and then proceed to find what that line holds by crossing them.
By having a superior line, in this case where I am trying to find the most Haze-expressive plant, sometimes a plant resembling the foundation appears among the outcross. When He or she is found out of well-bred lines, further work can proceed using the individual in subsequent crosses to find its worth. Some will be more valuable than others. Use both male and female lines to find that individual.
Here are some factors to keep in mind when trying to improve toward a specific goal.

1. Hemp and drug Cannabis had the same ancestor.
  2. Cannabis is wind pollinated.
  3. Many lines have intersex traits which seems to indicate the species prefers sexual propagation. It seems to desire recombination or outcrossing.
  4. It is an annual as opposed to perennial.
3 Likes

Hi @spliphy thanks for your contribution!
If you use the search function, we’ve got at least a couple active breeding and selection threads, as well as a thread entirely dedicated to haze strains, and Haze enthusiasts.
You can start a new topic whenever you like, but if another thread is active, you’ll get more engagement by joining the existing conversation.
Additionally, when you post in the breeders lab, you can safely assume at least some level of existing experience, but your post might be helpful to the breeders and cultivators in the basic growing threads or grow FAQ.

7 Likes

I find crossing the plants is a good start.

1 Like

You RADICAL!

1 Like

It’s a highly unpopular strategy I’m bringing back into the limelight.

2 Likes

I mean… I’ll see how it goes for you before I try it.

1 Like

I have my doubts but I like to take dangerous risks.

1 Like

o.k. I’ll look at them. Didn’t want to clog another’s thread.

1 Like

It’s not considered clogging or hijacking if you’re on the same topic as the thread.
Continuous discussion by multiple members in a thread topic is what makes forums great!

1 Like

Wait until I share my Puffer Fish emulsion recipe…

1 Like

Fugu Agar…

1 Like

9 times out of 10 it kills the plant, but the 10th time…

It kills the guy that smoked my weed.

1 Like

He was always asking you to big it up anyway.

1 Like

A goal of finding a better haze plant is pretty vague, especially considering the wide variety of cannabis that comes to mind when people say haze. From incensey, to citrus, to metal, some consider any sativa a haze and some only consider o haze as true haze. I would get more specific on what you want. Are you searching for a certain smell and flavor or a specific high or maybe a specific grow style or combination of all. It is important to understand exactly what you are looking for.

@Foreigner / @HeadyBearAdventures , you made my day ^^

2 Likes

yeah, if I have no serious engagers will look at those.

1 Like

What matters to me is not important. I am looking for best practices. The example I gave was just that, an example. I think that preservation of all traits as strategy is flawed. The common goal in our community is toward quantity and quality of resin not fiber plants. So my thinking is to start with something promising (exhibiting targeted traits) instead of open pollination.

1 Like

Where are you getting these fibrous plants? Surely no cannabis enthusiast is breeding with them (with perhaps the odd exception)

I asserted in my OP that I consider drug and hemp plants the same species. Therefore, a tendency is present to revert to what is not targeted.

The two approaches come from two different intentions.
Open pollination preserves maximum diversity in a given line, while selection attempts to isolate traits.
Neither is superior any more than a hammer or screwdriver is superior, just different tools for different jobs.