BigMike55’s Ongoing Cannabis Log (Part 2)

That reminds me of that beautiful Bloody Monster I had to chop when he showed sacks. He was one of the best I had going that run.
That is one good looking plant bro.

2 Likes

Looks like the Pineapple Skunk?

1 Like

Not a pineapple. Maybe the BT male? :+1:t3:

Usually on the BT the serrations are flattened out, that is why I guessed the Skunk. You very well could be correct though as not all phenotypes express themselves in the same way!

4 Likes

Nice structure on that pretty boy @BigMike55, I kept the thin leaf zammy, it might get the axe. I need the space. I have to start thinking about spring.

1 Like

Either way it turns out… that’s a really nice looking plant returning to the earth! :joy: :fist:t3:

2 Likes

Nope and nope. That’s a Strawberry Diesel x Space Dude.

4 Likes

But the only reason for culling is I have his brother right here. I’m gonna catch that magic dust.

12 Likes

Well hell son, you didn’t even mention you had that in the mix. Are those ones I gave you?

4 Likes

Indeed they are.

3 Likes

Remember I popped three. Got to boys and this lovely lady right here.

17 Likes

May I ask what your criteria for picking a male is?
I usually grow a few males of the same strain in order to pick the best one. Keep the best, cull the rest.
Here is a strategy that I agree with for picking males:

3 Likes

@Oldjoints
Speaking as someone who has absolutely zero experience… I would think it would be determined by the direction you want to take the structure of the next gen. I’ve read on here where people have said “I love how tight spaced the branching is” or similarly, “I love the heavy stalk” or smell profile. I’ve even read where the longer spacing of the nodes were desired.
Wouldn’t that be the determining factor. It’ll be different as the end goal calls for?

Again, I know nothing. I’m just going from breeding stock (horses, goats, dogs…).

3 Likes

There are no guarantees when it comes to picking mates for progeny. Even though we pick dominant traits recessive traits could be the ones accepted and expressed (which could be good or bad). Traits can also skip a generation at any time. When picking males I usually pick for structure first, obvious signs of trichomes second, and smell third.
That doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what is going to happen. To some extent it is still a roll of the dice and why smart breeders use many plants and pick the best of the best to breed with (both male and female).
As far as picking a male or female with longer internodes for that strain; imho that is a very bad strategy unless for a certain reason (of which eludes me).
All we can do is pick what we hope will better the strain by using the phenotypes that express the genes we see and would like passed along. The more plants used the better the chance of finding what we seek.
I don’t know if any of this helped you but it is the best I can do without getting into advanced breeding strategies using fancy words that don’t mean shit in the long game.

6 Likes

Good info to know @Oldjoints . Like I said, I have no actual working knowledge of breeding for a specific trait in cannabis. All knowledge is more than welcome.
:+1:

2 Likes

I am certainly not a “breeder” of cannabis. I have however created many strains. If you ever need help/advice please feel free to hit me up……

8 Likes

Thanks @Oldjoints . Very much appreciated.
:pray:

2 Likes

What percentage of the time has/does this work in your experience?

Since I normally only run a few plants at a time, open pollination is not an option. Normally I just go by the overall health and vigor of the plant. If the plant has any features that I really like, that’s a plus.
Too, I’m like @MoBilly not very experienced at breeding. I do take lessons well tho. I made it through college with a 4.0 GPA.

5 Likes

It greatly depends on what one is trying to achieve. It is certainly much easier using genes already dominant in that strain. I have been fairly successful in that situation. For instance if a strain is naturally short and bushy I am not going to try and change that by picking phenotypes that are long and lanky. My success rate may even work by getting some phenotypes similar to the long lanky ones. But I have found that this is usually only temporary and will change in the next generation. And in every generation after that less and less will be found’as the traits are recessive for that strain. If you are using dominant traits in the beginning it is much more reliable and will continue being in the mix in following generations.

4 Likes