Blue star Blsu and Star dream

Yep ahahah that Is me

1 Like

I had a look on the canna website but I can’t find anything about run off?

Ime with a low ec run off isn’t absolutely essential blumats, capillary and autopots are examples of that but with regular ec/feeding habits run off is needed to rinse away the salt that’s built up with water transpiration.

If your getting good results that’s what matters, if you’re not getting good results testing some run off would be good start, with any problems that’s my 1st call.
https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/managerunoffec/#:~:text=Run-off%20EC%20Should%20be,points%20higher%20than%20the%20inflow.
This link explains the need for run off better than i possibly could.

3 Likes

I actually get runoff,I have yet to test this way of growing,I started having issues with Little to no runoff

2 Likes

For coco you definitely want a good amount of run off imo once you start feeding imo. When there seedlings doesn’t matter but once you start actual nutes the salt starts to build up you want to be clearing that out. I compare it to taking a piss. You drink something, it can’t just stay there forever, eventually it needs to come out or you’ll start having issues. Runoff is plant piss. All the soil waste being cleaned out. I use 1 gallon pots and I apply roughly 6 cups of water per feeding with roughly 2 cups coming out as runoff.

A healthy runoff will help keep your pH consistent and keep your coco from building up tons of salt. Just my 2 cents

3 Likes

@Naptown916 Love the comparison to piss ahahahahah
It makes sense,I don’t know how canna claims 5% max runoff for his Coco.Even tho they mean It Is not dtw It also get clusters of salts…Idk why those claims

Yeah I mean it even comes out with a yellow tint, kinda looks like piss lol.

One other advantage to an abundant runoff is that you don’t have to flush as often if at all. I usually only have to flush but maybe once 3 weeks into flower and then at the end obviously, I feel like that speeds up flower time.

1 Like

Ive adopted getting runoff after the first watering of the day. A mini flush of sorts to set the ec and ph perfectly for the day.

3 Likes

So you water multiple times per day but only do a heavy water in the morning? Is this like for a quicker dry down so you can water more often? Just curious what size pots? If that’s kind of what you’re doing very cool/intriguing idea

3 Likes

Im in coir, small pots. When I do 9 plants per 4x4, I do 3/4 gallon pots. My first watering I split up to 5 cycles, every 15 minutes, and aim for 1800ml to get a flush and set the medium ec and ph. If they dry back over 50% and the roots are filled in the pot, I start adding more small shot waterings starting every 2 hours, and adding as many as needed to achieve a 30% dryback durring veg after roots are filled, or 50% dry back if roots arent filled, and 50% dry back durring beginning of flower stretch, then back to 30% dry backs to bulk. Then back to 50% drybacks to finish.

5 Likes

Cool! Thanks for sharing not an approach I’ve heard before

2 Likes

I have also done well when i could only do 6x per day watering evenly, and spread them out to leave the last 1 to 3 hours lights on with no irrigation cycles for some dry back time, while the last watering or 2 flushes the plants every day. I have been enjoying the early flush lights on though. I start watering 2 hours after lights on and achieve run off by 1 hour n 15 min later.

5 Likes

Good morning folks,
I can see a notable difference in them this morning i also see the 1st minor signs of needing to increase the ec so it’s all moving nicely in the right direction.

There’s one of the star dream 15" I’ll need to snap a picture of it later for future reference along with the others i missed lol

I’m still feeding 1.2ec/ph 6.0 once a daily.
The temps are a bit on the low side I’m getting 24c at the canopy 21/22c around the pots, a bit more light will help I’m planning on adding some led over the weekend, that’s about it for now?

Take it easy!

9 Likes

Update…the tallest star dream is 16" so I’ve done some defoliating, i don’t normally defoliate too much but the limited experience I have indicates that it helps stem stretch.

I’ve left the others as is for the meantime.

Let’s see what happens?

5 Likes

A few updated pics.
The one i defoliated a couple of days back, iirc it was 16" tall

February 16th
The plant i 1st defoliated…

The one in the back corner iirc was 12" it wasn’t defoliated.

I was a bit impulsive, i went to check on them before the light went out and decided i was going to do a little more defoliating, after the 1st i grabbed my phone and snapped a few pics.
When I started…

And after i was finished…

There’s 3 of each now all a similar height, the blsu is taller species the start dream is more compact

Take it easy folks!

7 Likes

Good morning folks, I’m going to make use of the editing feature this forum has, it’ll allow me to note anything to any individual plant as i move forward with them.

February 14th Blsu #1

It’s between 10-11" tall

I was putting anything physical off until the roots got established.

I’m going to increase the ec today to 1.4, I’m also going to hang a se3000 and see how the temps work out?

3 Likes

It appears that there could be a mix up, the plant on the right is marked as star dream, left Blsu?

I’ll see how they grow, @Josh_Blue do you think there’s a mix up?
Cheers buddy.

8 Likes

Love what you are doing

1 Like

They look very good @Star_Dog , and fast development.
I started a grow at end of december, in coco also, but I didn’t see that development. Probably caused by my low temps, suppose.

Happy growings!

1 Like

@Piter @Andrexl thanks guys i appreciated the comments.

I should be clear that I’m just freewheeling, idk shit I’m only working on past hands on experience which appears to be at odds with others people’s opinions, namely with defoliating?

We’ll see how it works out?

Thanks again :+1:

2 Likes

I have never done defoliating… but will try in my ongoing grow.

I’m a bit re-newbie… hahah

Happy growings!

2 Likes